Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Confusion with choosing base Icon sizes for various web dimension

Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Designers,

I came across a problem on deciding with system icons size while designing for different web dimensions. Pls suggest me what are the base Icon sizes while designing for 1920×1080 and 1024X768. Also give me knowledge about if there is any relativity of choosing icons sizes in correspondent with page dimensions.

To Illustrate my problem more, let's assume I choose 24X24 as base Icon size while designing for 1024x768 dimension but, can I also use the same 24X24 as base icon size for 1920X1080 as well? or will there be any variation?  If Yes why? and if No, pls explain.

Thanks and regards

Kishan Permand

TOPICS
Design , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Hi Kishan.

That's usually a matter of testing. Visibility is what's important. If the icons look good and are legible at this size with both resolutions, you will be fine. The resolutions mentioned are for desktop and (I assume) for tablet devices.

Depending on the situation and style for the icons, I will sometimes do 18x18 icons for desktop, and 24x24 on mobile devices, since their screens are smaller, even though their resolutions are bigger. It's about maintaining the same physical size

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kishan.

That's usually a matter of testing. Visibility is what's important. If the icons look good and are legible at this size with both resolutions, you will be fine. The resolutions mentioned are for desktop and (I assume) for tablet devices.

Depending on the situation and style for the icons, I will sometimes do 18x18 icons for desktop, and 24x24 on mobile devices, since their screens are smaller, even though their resolutions are bigger. It's about maintaining the same physical size of the icon, which varies depending on screen size & scaling, so you should test it on a device and resize if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines