• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements with 'fix position when scrolling' disappear in preview after XD update

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed this behavior after today's XD update (v20.0.12.10). When on Preview mode (Cmd-Enter), artboard elements that have "Fix position when scrolling" checked on them disappear from preview mode. Unchecking the "Fix position" box shows them back.

As I'm working on a set of wires that rely heavily on the fixed position option, let's say I'm not exactly amused and that this is more likely a new bug that should be fixed ASAP.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1. In Prototype mode, select any given element
2. Connect selected element to another artboard

3. In the new Interaction panel, check the "Fix position when scrolling" option for the linked element.

4. Launch Preview Mode (Cmd-Enter)

5. Notice that the linked element does not show on screen. Unchecking "Fix position" checkbox, while not ideal, fixes it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Hi Elyson,

We are sorry to hear you are unable to see the fixed elements in XD preview. Would you mind sharing the screenshot of your design in prototype mode? I would like to know if you've fixed the elements with in the viewport area or below the fold. Anything you fix below the fold will not be visible so if you want to make your elements visible it should be within the viewport height.

Let me know if that helps. I will try my best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow up: I think I have been confusing "Preserve Scroll position" with "Fix position when scrolling" which is intended to fix elements on canvas. However, I'm leaving this on here in case someone else wants to elaborate more on the subject and could potentially have the confusion as I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your inputs, Alberto. I'm glad that you are back on track.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to fix the position of a group on my artboard in XD, but there is no checkbox visible and no command anywhere. Looking at the earlier comment, I'm wondering if this is broken code you are fixing. Has this feature been removed or is there some other reason I CANNOT fix a group and scroll under it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They moved it to the "prototype" tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Found it. Argh!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad that this has topic has been brought up again. because I've been noticing that users don't understand why the "Fixed position" is (or has moved) exclusively to the Prototype tab, while Component States (also a design and prototype phenomena) are available in both tabs...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running into the same problem still with Xd v22.7.12.3 whether in Preview Mode (Cmd-Enter) or after publishing to a weblink. This is not "Solved" as the answer just states where to find the option, not what the OP asked. Alberto, were you able to find a workaround or is this indeed a bug that has existed now for several versions? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey mahusted79 I was able to figure it out, you have to adjust the "viewport height" to include all of the items you want to be fixed to their position. Seems kinda weird but worked for me. Hope this helps you as none of the other threads or support have been able to comprehend what was happening, had to figure it out by trial and error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I will take a look!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting this workaround, @antonio.mustico@gmail.com!

However @HARSHIKA VERMA I don't think I should be forced to change the size of my viewport as it throws off the design flow. I think this should be reported as a bug, as the user should be able to affix an element without changing the size of the viewport.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this.

When you have a scrollable page, it's definitely longer than your viewport height. Put the object you wanna fix right above the bottom of your viewport, not at the bottom of your page. 

The idea behind is that only elements within viewport are visible. 

I registered a new account just to answer your question. Googled two hours no answer. I figured it must be some common sense that I wasn't following. There it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(I am new here) but really trying to learn XD and this seems like a bug to me, because  I have been following tutorials step by step and it only works if the image is in the header. But I want to have another section below viewpoint to have image fixed when scrolling and I tried in both design and prototype mode and it still disappears in preview. I updated my XD today too and still not fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any solution to this problem? I did everything I read here on the forum and the element still does not appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elyson,

We are sorry to hear you are unable to see the fixed elements in XD preview. Would you mind sharing the screenshot of your design in prototype mode? I would like to know if you've fixed the elements with in the viewport area or below the fold. Anything you fix below the fold will not be visible so if you want to make your elements visible it should be within the viewport height.

Let me know if that helps. I will try my best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I opened a call in Adobe is the answer is that it is not possible to solve the problem. They say it's an iphone problem (I think it's absurd!). Unfortunately, I will need to use another tool to prototype. Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me I found the problem was the element/group was nested(i.e inside another group) in the layers section. It needs to be a topmost group, as soon as I took the element out of the nesting(i.e took it outside to outermost) the option Fix Position while scrolling came back. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try to do that. Thanks for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG! Thank you so much! This worked for me! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm worn out trying to fix that similar issue. I didn't have any other options. I really need help. or need to install figma or  others wireframes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Prasant,

We are sorry for the delay in response and apologize for the frustration. Is it possible for you to share your workflow via a short video for better understanding? Please share the OS and XD versions of your machine. Does that happen with all the files or with a specific file?

We will try our best to investigate.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same issue, my object dissappears in preview when I fix the position when scrolling. It only works if the object is in the header. I'm on Big Sur using XD version 37.1.32.2. Has this been resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The official answer i got from adobe is that this is an iphone problem (???). Will not solve. I will switch to Figma.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone still having this issue, my problem was that i was trying to make a item inside a group fixed. Apparently you can only make the "parent" fixed, so if you have something inside a group that is not fixed, and want to make it fixed, the option won't show. You must take the group/object you want to make it fixed and make so that it isn't inside any other group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No still cant figure out a solution and its december.

My element is a random navbar that I mandatorily need below the viewport height. It isnt a group inside another group. It disappears when i check fix position while scrolling.

Hasnt any solution been figured out yet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines