• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Grid Layout

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I having an issue with the grid layout feature, If I try to set a right and left Margin uniformly to 40, then it switches to individual and makes one side 50 rather than 40, it will allow 39 or 45 but not 40 ( there are similar issues with other numbers but that is just an example)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

> If I try to set a right and left Margin uniformly to 40, then it switches to individual and makes one side 50 rather than 40, it will allow 39 or 45 but not 40

Layout Grid only allows whole number values so that columns are pixel-aligned.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> If I try to set a right and left Margin uniformly to 40, then it switches to individual and makes one side 50 rather than 40, it will allow 39 or 45 but not 40

Layout Grid only allows whole number values so that columns are pixel-aligned.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Randy _ I'm having somewhat of a similar problem and I CANNOT figure it out...

So say I set my canvas to 1280px and I would like my grid to be centered, 12 column at 960 wide and the gutter at 20px - Im happy for the computer to tell me the width of each column...

XD wont let me do this...
Screenshot 2018-02-14 15.01.52.png

How can I get my columns to equal a certain width?

Any help would be great

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like even if you make the canvas 960 and the margins 0 - the computer still adjusts it. Why is there a margin of 8?
Screenshot 2018-02-14 15.06.44.png

This driving me crazy...

Hopefully Im not being stupid here...

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct. For a Layout Grid with 12 columns and 20px gutters, there is no way to make it exactly 960px wide in XD. Your setup above with 61px Column Width is the widest you can get (952px) without exceeding 960px.

The dirty little secret of some other layout grids is that the column width is not an exact pixel width. To use your example, the Column Width would be 61.667px. How would that render? Either 2/3 of the columns are not pixel-aligned so content will be blurry, or 1/3 of the columns are 61px and 2/3 are 62px (or gutters are adjusted in a similar manner) so layout is not consistent.

Does that make sense?

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The truth is, this feature totally sucks. Such a useful festure made totally useless. Man, some people should never work in this industry, I don't know how such an amazing product can have such terribly thought out features.

It's just like when they took out the FLOW view from the live specs. I swear, I feel like someone asked the janitor how he would use the product...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's December of 2019 and I'm still having the same problem. Will Adobe fix it anytime soon? It's so frustrating!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems not yet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why does photoshop allows "not whole number" values when setting layout guides?  And the problem with adobe's decision is that even if there are preset artboards with specific width values, one can not set his own desired margin values... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can calculate the margin size first, and then it will adjust. This was for a 1440 artboard. Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 2.20.07 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Randy,

I am struggeling with this also:

The site I am designing for has a 12 column grid - each column has a width of 65px and the gap between columns is 30px. So if we sum this up we get (12*65 = 780) + (11*30 = 330) = 1110px

But although this are all even numbers, XD won't let me set the columns to 65px AND gap to 30px. It always goes either 64/30px or 65/29px. What can I do to solve this?

Thanks for your advice, 

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When looking further, it seems there is a collision with the grid offset - although the offset value comes last, it seems to override the other values.

Thanks to this issue  I figured out how to solve it:

You have to set either column or gap size to 0 and only set value for either 

• column width + offset or alternatively 
  • gap width + offset

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe, this is major bug in Adobe XD, Photoshop Guid Layout is perfect. In this way out layout is not going to be in center. If we use Align Center then there is no use.

If I enter any value to "linked left and right align" feature, it automatically convert to "Different margin for each section" feature.

I guess the issue is colum width. It need to be calcuate automatically. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Im currently working with grids, ive tried to transfere a doc from sketch into XD and want to replicate the grid settings below and i'm experiencing the same exact issue, 

Sketch grid:
Column 12

Gutter 32

Column width 68

Margins 218 

total 1164 px across.

When i set my grid to the following in XD it just gets thrown out of balance and defaults to 67 column width.

see below

defaultv5516unqg66j_0-1636283293445.png

Id really like to be able to continue to use XD as the prototyping featues are great but this is thowing out the whole desgin, so may have to revert back to Sketch. is there a fix on this coming any time soon?

Thanks

Phil.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Column width should be fixed as auto or decimal. Margin 24px but in fact left 24px right 25px. I used 375px screen margin 24px gutter 24px not adjust manual. In Figma can do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guys just bought Figma. Please just make it work like Figma. 

Designers and developers are most concerned with setting explicit margins and gutters.

Column Width: Auto would be fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've discovered a workaround for this, although it might seem a bit idiotic. Here's how you can do it:

1. Set the gutter width first.
  2. Skip setting the column width for now.
  3. Now, set the values for the left and right page margins.
  4. Manually resize your artboard by grabbing the bounding box. All the values will stay the same except the column width.
  5. Drag the artboard until you achieve the desired column width.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines