• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it Possible to transfer ownership of an XD file?

Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am the owner of our design system master file built in Adobe XD. I am leaving the company and we need to transfer ownership to one of my collaborators so they can publish updates. I have co-editing enabled but it appears only I can push the share updates. Once the company deletes my adobe account will my team be able to take ownership, manage the file and, publish updates? 

TOPICS
Missing feature , Share or publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in response. As of now, we don't have a time frame by when this would be available, having said that, let me assure you that I'll share your feedback with the Engineering and product management team and you can do that too by voting for this request to add voice to the feature https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/20173018-transfer-prototypes-and-design-specs-from-one-adob

Feel free to reach out if you have any other q

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Louise, 

Thanks for reaching out. I found a similar discussion on the community which you can refer to here https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/transfer-ownership-of-a-file-to-a-different-account/m-p/1106... 

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, It seems like based on the response this is not currently possible? The team will need to maintain the links to the original components as they are used as the basis of our design system. The share links are being used by our dev team to build out our website. I realize this is not your fault but this is a serious issue for enterprise teams. People leave companies all the time and it really must be made a feature to easily transfer ownership when this occurs. Is the only workaround that they maintain my adobe account after I leave? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Louise. I'm a designer for a large company and find myself in a similar situation. I'm leaving the company at the end of the week, but have a lot of assets that I've created in XD that I need to be able to transfer to my coworkers. What I've ended up doing is, in addition to saving the libraries to the Cloud, I also saved a local copy and uploaded it to our shared drive. This way they'll at least have something they can use as a backup if something happens with the Cloud versions. I'll let you know how this goes, but yeah, it's a little silly that this hasn't already been addressed. I mean, it's not like it's a new issue or anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. This is crazy. No wonder people are moving to Figma. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@default8smsaqwkmfki how is this handled differently in Figma?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Figma has a higher price but it's worth it. I can actually list what our needs and adobe Xd can't do but Figma can:
- Thumbnail for project
- transfer ownership
- Share the whole file (not prototype) with a link
- Invite pther people to the file but not editing
To name but a few...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh, 

Following up on this poster's question as well. Is this feature slated to be worked on in the near future? It's a very necessary feature for teams to be able to transfer ownership (or have multiple owners) of XD files, libraries and design systems. The discussion you linked to does resolve this or give an information about when users can expect this. Can you please let us know any information on the status of this request? 

Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in response. As of now, we don't have a time frame by when this would be available, having said that, let me assure you that I'll share your feedback with the Engineering and product management team and you can do that too by voting for this request to add voice to the feature https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/20173018-transfer-...

Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions or feedback.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh, I'm following up on this post's request. Is this feature done already? Is it possible to transfer ownership of the projects from one account to another?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rishab,

Any update on the mentioned feature? Because I'm working on someone's file and the owner's account doesnt exist. I'm unable to perform actions like publishing to the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on the same boat here, since there's apparently no resolution here, I've told my successor to copy it locally and then publish it himself to the cloud. the he becomes the new owner and can publish. the major dowside is that if your team is collaborating through and refferencing tickets like through jira or other collab environments, then those links will eventually become out of date.  Good luck to all those who are moving on and have moved on... they are probably all using Adobe's new product, Figma! Hahaha!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update in this regard in 2022? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amjad@Spacewell ,

We're so sorry for the delay. I am afraid, as of now, we don't have the time frame by when this feature would be available. Having said that let me assure you, that I'll share your feedback with the Engineering team.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to see this feature added. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please prioritise this feature 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

!! Please prioritize transferring or sharing permissions to update already generated links to view files in a browser. !!

Not having this capability is totally impractical and a real pain point for designers, developers, prioject teams, project managers, and executives. EVERYONE!!!! Please fix this asap.

No transfer/reassignment of file admin/ownership permissions poses problems when a person leaves the company. I am working for a large corporation where the previous creator and owner of a mission critical XD file left the company. I took over the UX design aspects of the project but cannot update any of the previous employees XD file links that have been shared throughout the entire company downstream/upstream and with contracted dev services. I cannot just create a copy of a file and generate a new link when the old original link exists in multuple locations and some unknown... I cannot access these and change out the link to a new one.

Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 11.30.07 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, I'm going away on vacation for a month and not having this feature is a nightmare

My team member/s now have to create new links for existing projects which just confuses the hell out of stakeholders 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to jump in here and echo what everyone is saying:

This is ridiculous and needs to be rectified asap!

I don't understand how this was not implemented to start and it's now been at least 2 years since it was raised and that functionality still doesn't exist? This basically makes XD unusable for teams. You've always got people leaving jobs, sick, on holidays etc so for publish rights to be restricted to one person with not even any way to transfer ownership is insane. When you share a file with someone, why can't there be an option to assign them publish rights?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the same issue. We also are not able to have invited users to the library edit the document even when invited with editing permissions. We did come up with a work around by inviting the users to "Collaborate" in the document. Which is a seperate invitation. The collaborating users can make edits and also push them to be updated. On a side note when on the phone with Adobe trying to figure this out Adobe told us our work around would not work. IT DOES WORK. We still have not figured out how to transfer ownerhip so I will keep checking back on this thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If we cannot transfer ownership of an XD file, perhaps a more reasonable request is to 1. no longer limit the updating of prototype links to the owner, and/or 2. for there to be multiple file owners. XD is a great program but will go down as a "if only they..." program without key updates like these.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually insanity that, after 2 years of this being posted, there is still no solution to transfer Ownership. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2023 Oct 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Absolute nightmare to still not have this feature. I'm at a mid-sized company putting out a product and built an entire design system with multiple flows, and hold the responsibility and pressure of managing ALL links and library updates as both the team and product grow. People in this position get put in hot lava to be "on call" while OOO or interrupt their own projects to push updates. Then also risk an earful once there are several versions of links of the same flow because teammates have to make temp links from local copies as a last resort (which leads to a whole other branch of cross-functional nightmares).

Forbid that anyone leave the company and have to communicate to hundreds of devs that those links aren't active anymore and designers have to link files to new a library. And the weight of these pressures for any design lead trying to keep their efforts and jobs afloat. 

Adobe, PLZ fix this it's driving us insane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines