• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linked Component Not Updating

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a component library in one XD file. I'm designing in another XD file. I have a component I have updated in the component library and when I go to my design XD file it adds and Update All (1) button in the Components pane. It won't update the component when I click the Update All (1) button. If I right click on the component and select Update, nothing happens. I can update other components. Anyone else experience this and have a fix?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

New Here , Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

I tried that several times. The only way I was able to fix it was to revert back to a version where it wasn't broken and redo my work. Not sure what I did that would of put me in that state.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Had this issues as well. A main component with nested components. The fix:

1. select nested component (that isn't updating) within the main component
  2. Right click > update main state

This solved my issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

It's pathetic that Adobe marked this as a "correct answer". Adobe answer to workarounds for their broken products: "do extra work and duplicate your effort; we don't care about your time, just your money."

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Oct 26, 2019 Oct 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try right-click on the component not getting updated and select the option of Edit Master in Source Document and then edit it and check if it gets updated. 

Vishu Aggarwal
Adobe Certified Instructor, Professional and Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that several times. The only way I was able to fix it was to revert back to a version where it wasn't broken and redo my work. Not sure what I did that would of put me in that state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's pathetic that Adobe marked this as a "correct answer". Adobe answer to workarounds for their broken products: "do extra work and duplicate your effort; we don't care about your time, just your money."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work for me either and going back and redoing my work again is not a solution. Since the latest update I've had to uninstall and reinstall XD twice now after it crashes / fails to save in the cloud and then won't let me open the app again. Surely there must be another workaround for updating linked components. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too experience frequent failures to update components. Has been reported widely across the forum by myself and others, yet Adobe mostly just asks us to describe the problem over again. Adobe kindly fix this problem, it's killing my productivity!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't think this problem has been fixed yet. Even when I make sure to edit the main component - the links will not udpate across all connected components. Very frusterating! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I've been having this trouble lately myself and after some fiddling around I found a solution that almost worked for me. No idea if this will work for anyone else as I've only just had this one partial success which resulted in a slightly different problem. 🙂

I've been assembling a decently sized styleguide that has just grown a wee bit more complex due to my enthusiasm for the new component states feature. I create new components in this styleguide file and create hi-fidelity mocks in another couple of files. Recently, after making changes to the master components in the styleguide, I found that it was impossible to update the components in the mocks file. I'd click the Update All button, it would flash, but nothing would happen. I'd right click on the component in the asset library but again, nothing would happen. 

During one troubleshooting sequence, I noticed that upon reopening XD and reopening the styleguide file, it immediately started saving. I guessed that it was possible that the original change in the component hadn't entirely completed. So I let that save finish, then altered the default state in the component a small amount, just to get a change registered. I let XD save again. After that, I opened up the mocks file, pushed the Update All button and, after a moment, the update went through!

I thought my troubles were over, but a new problem arose... while inside the mocks file, I was now unable to drag the new component from the asset library onto the canvas. Dragging other components to the canvas also failed to work. After restarting and fiddling around, I found that I could drag other elements into the canvas, but as soon as I tried to drag the component which previously failed to update, nothing was able to be added to the canvas. 

I went into the styleguide file and found that everything worked just fine there, so I'm thinking there is an issue with an impartially complete update from one file to another through the linked assets feature. 

I'm still working on this, so if anyone has any ideas on what might be going on, I would love to hear them. I'll update here if I find out anything new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok!  

An update. 

The component that had originally failed to update in an external file was composed of a text item and another component nested within it. Both the parent component and the internal component had multiple states. 

I ungrouped the internal component, simplified the states for the entire thing, and saved the styleguide file. Once I reopened the mocks file where it became impossible to drag any assets to the canvas, I found that the simplified component was both updatable and I could drag it (and other components) to the canvas. Everything fixed! (hoping they stay that way.)

So, I'm going to be a little more careful with nested components with multiple states in the future and hope to avoid this. 

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, solved, but the solution wasn´t satisfatory for me.

Scenario

I have a component in the cloud with all states of a text field (inactive, focused, activated, error and disabled). In the same component, I have all states of a dropdown too, like inactive, opened with hover on all options (it is another component inside the main component), etc. After an improvement, the link stopped working in the another project.

Workarounds that doesn´t work
1. I tried to reset to master state;

2. I tried to click in the plus icon in assets and click in the document on cloud to try to relink;

3. I tried to copy and paste the component again;

4. I tried to click in the blue link icon than click update in the flyout menu;

5. I tried to sign out of Adobe XD and Creative Cloud and sign back in;

6. I made a local copy of the cloud project, deleted it from cloud, put it on cloud again and relink;

XD version
27.2.12.4 - Creative Cloud sync 4.3.28.24
I´m a Windows user (with the last update)

Solution
Ungroup the component with hover inside the main/hibrid component text field.

Maybe the problem in this case isn´t the update but the the difficulty of adobe XD dealing with nested components. I spent 4 hours to reach that conclusion. Soooo time consuming... and unsatisfactory at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.

But some of my component has well being updated but not each state of my component. And not all component in my file. I don't understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's so difficult because theoretically you have infinite
possibilities but, at really, a sad and restricted reality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled Xd, then re-installed it and the components updated okay. Sometimes I just have to smash the "update" button over and over like I'm playing Mario Party before it'll work as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update bug is known. Would be nice if someone from Adobe team would give us some info about fixing status...

Solutions:

• for some works smash update all or right-mouseclick on single component > update
  • for others, reinstall (if none, even single component doesn't update)
  • sometimes you need to do small change in source file (in component library) and re-save file
  • in my case, somehow I wasn't able to update one of a locally modified (width) components. Had to reset all modified instances - lucky me, had only 9 instances where it was used

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is now October 2020 and this bug is still alive and kicking. Thoroughly annoying. I just spent considerable time preparing a set of icons in a separate document because, you know, 1.5 years ago this feature was actually working and none of my documents using instances will update. I dont even get an update pop up. Close and reopen documents doesn't help either. And we're paying through the nose for these apps. What gives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try right-clicking on the component on the Document Assets panel on the left, select Make Local, then hit Ctrl+Z to undo. I've found that the blue Update button then appears at the bottom of the panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have this issue. When I update a component nothing happens. Is this something that should be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey, 

Sorry to hear you are unable to update the linked component in XD. Would you mind telling us the OS and XD version of your machine? Is it happening with all the files or with a specific file? Could you please confirm if it's happening with a specific component or all components?

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harshika,
Thank you for your reply. I checked out a course on updating the links and I actually missed a step for updating. 
I have now worked as expected. 

Kind regards,
Jeffrey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again, Xd has yet ANOTHER bug that STILL hasn't been addressed after being reported by customers for YEARS. Adobe's after-sales support is ABYSMAL, but Xd is particularly bad—it's just not fit for purpose, particularly compared to their other apps.

As for a workaround, try right-clicking on the component on the Document Assets panel on the left, select Make Local, then hit Ctrl+Z to undo. I've found that the blue Update button then appears at the bottom of the panel.

My other solution: DITCH XD AND USE FIGMA INSTEAD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, that did work, but now I've encountered whole new related bugs that prevent it from working. This app is an absolute joke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the adobe family of products but you're right, XD is just not up for prime time. Wish I hadn't spent hours and blood pressure figuring that out again. People shouldn't expect to be able to make full blown prototypes. It's great for fast, easy animations though! Watch Howard Pinsky's masterclasses - beware: if you're trying to build something that looks more complex than his examples, hold off until XD improves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had this issues as well. A main component with nested components. The fix:

1. select nested component (that isn't updating) within the main component
  2. Right click > update main state

This solved my issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing the solution. I am sure this will help other community members. Feel free to participate or reach out if you have any suggestions or questions.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines