• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scaling in xd

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, is this me not doing something right or it's not a feature yet... Can I scale proportionately in xd.... Trying to resize the sides to get what I want seems to be messing up my work while trying to create a card pop out hover effect. 

TOPICS
Design , How to , Missing feature , Product performance , Prototyping

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Just a guess here, but keep in mind that when you're scaling multiple objects together, there's this "Responsive" feature kicking in (see the Inspector on the right), which moves objects among eachother, in stead of scaling them. Again, holding down the Shift key should switch to scaling, proportionally...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please review https://helpx.adobe.com/xd/help/resize-and-rotate-objects.html 

To lock the aspect ratio of objects while resizing, click the lock icon in the Property Inspector. When you do so, the ratio between the width and height of the object is retained on resizing an object.

USE SHIFT for scaling proprtionaly and CTR forscaling from centre. The combination SHIFT+CTRL will scale proportionaly from the centre of object

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't that Center option executed by holding the Alt/Option in stead of Ctrl ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have made my day, thank you 🙏 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a guess here, but keep in mind that when you're scaling multiple objects together, there's this "Responsive" feature kicking in (see the Inspector on the right), which moves objects among eachother, in stead of scaling them. Again, holding down the Shift key should switch to scaling, proportionally...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SHIFT METHOD

I've used the method of holding down the shift key while ensuring the responsive setting is set to off. I've also tried to de-select the options that appear (Fix Width, Fix Height, etc) under the Auto and Manual tabs to ensure that the shift option is used in isolation. The result is that the inner icon distorts itself (flattens).

TESTING RESPONSIVE OFF STATE

Since I know re-sizing a responsive component displays faint red lines to show distance from outer to inner, I made to sure to test for this and indeed it appeared for when responsive was turned on. When responsive was turned off, the faint red lines were not present indicating that it wasn't checking for layout boundaries.

INNER SHAPE SET TO MANUAL

Another option I tried: I selected the path within the group (that's getting distorted with resizing) and made that Manual  itself. The result from this method was just moving around the inner as I held shift and scaled the corner of the surrounding/outer square.

STOP-GAP FEATURE REQUEST: EDIT IN ILLUSTRATOR

I know these things take time, but for now it would be great if in the right-click context menu, we could have an option to edit in illustrator. The startup time for illustrator on my machine, AND transferring / testing between applications is a distracting and workflow-breaking process. Live-linking to isolate the specific feature of merging paths together in illustrator would be really ideal. 

YES, I'VE CONSIDERED THE LIBRARY SYSTEM

I know that there is a library system that I assume is connected when you open illustrator; the one where you save a "folder" of assets that you can access from any adobe application. However, this assumes that illustrator is required for the workflow... when I think many of these comments make it clear that it's an unfortunate side-task that just needs to get done in order to move forward in XD. Further, I haven't adopted the library system myself due to the objective nature of my project assets, it slowing down my machine significantly (I have a 2018 macbook pro), and my repeatable use of particular app features that makes it less of the "main event" for my workflow. Isolating it to a single task I need done from illustrator (if we can't get a working path merge feature in XD) by allowing live linking and auto-closing of illustrator when finished -- would be really great.

I still love the product but this has been a huge pain. I wanted to type out my detailed experience though, so you can get the full picture and do what you need. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for supporting  XD , its  my favorite  Product too 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines