• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't copy paste text from other apps into After Effects

New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't copy paste text from other apps into After Effects tekst layer. Not from InDesign or Pages or any other app. 

TOPICS
Bug , Error , Feedback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

UPDATE: This issue has been fixed in After Effects 18.4.1.

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 106 Replies 106
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is version 18.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just put the AE version back to 18.2.1, and also the Media Encoder back to 15.2, and then everything works fine again. So i think its some sort of bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good find. You should definitely file a bug report on UserVoice (using the link in my post below), otherwise the team won't know about the issue to fix it. If they can easily reproduce the issue then it can be fixed quickly, if they don't know about it then it'll stick around longer than it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue on PC (version 18.4.0).

Plug-Ins:

- Animation composer 3

- FX console plugin

- Saber

- Trapcode Particular

- Optical Flares

- Element 3D

- Magnum

- GoodParents

- KindaSorta

- EaseAndWizz

- DUIK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got exactly the same problem. I removed AE, and installed the latest version, and it looked like it helped. But when i opend a new project the same problem popped up. Also copy text form external programs, and paste into a text box results to 'no past'. Could anybody help us..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is only showing up in 18.4 and wasn't a problem in 18.2.1 then it could be a bug. This is just a user-to-user form, but you can file a bug that the AE team will see here at the UserVoice site: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects

Make sure to put as much detail, including OS version and exact AE version with specific steps so they can reproduce and fix the issue. You can also post the bug link back here so anyone else with the issue can see it and upvote the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to be a bug in v18.4. Im using a MacPro (BigSur 11.4). Will file a bug report. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @pjb37456642 @Marketing Swiss Sense ,

As suggested by David, report the issue on the UserVoice so that other users can vote. Also, could you share a screen recording of the issue and your system specifications (CPU, GPU, RAM, OS) to help us in investigating?

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to test if I had this trouble after updates and cannot reproduce this issue.  However I'm using a PC, not a mac.  Is this a Mac specific issue?

I had both 17.7 and 18.4 installed so I tested with both.   
Copied text from Indesign, Word, Notepad, PowerPoint, Illustrator.  Pasted into new text boxes for each in both AE versions.  All worked. Changed source file fonts being copied truetype to opentype and tested again.  No problems here.

Only text copied from Illustrator was annoying because it always came in black (or whatever color you have it set in illustrator) and I couldn't see it (because had a black AE background on comp), so had to change text color to white to see it.  Black and Color text in Illustrator pastes in black or color and retains formatting.  Word, notepad, Indesign all pasted in white text.  Using davidarbors browser search bar text suggestion does strip formatting and pasting the illustrator text first into the search bar and copying from there to AE then pastes in white text.  All appears good on my end, again on a PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem, I found this forum from trying to find answers through Google!!! I was able to do it on Tuesday but also updated my apps that day as well.......also using 18.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you just trying to paste with the keyboard shortcut? What happens if you choose Edit > Paste from the menu bar? If that works, can you post a screenshot of the entire Edit menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work either way. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem using macbook pro m1. latest beta version. the Paste option is simply disabled. By going through the Edit Menu or by clicking with the right mouse button. the Paste option is not available after copying any text outside of AfterEffects itself. Curious that even the pick color doesn't pick any color outside the After workspace either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, the paste option is just greyed out as if no clipboard available. Updated to 18.4 the other day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same problem at the moment, really annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue too, also I need to try 3-4 times to open one single project because the app doesn't response! Really annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. But I found it doesn't work in the converted project from previous versions. And in the created project in version 18.4, the paste works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good insight! Can you try opening a pre-18.4 AEP, Do a SaveAs to a NewName and then check if the Paste function works?
And I'm assuming you're on a Mac?

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution works for me !!! Thanks.   AE18.4 - Mac 11.5.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue.  Just downgraded back to the previous version and I am able to copy and paste again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to the latest version of AF on my PC and I cant copy and paste from any word based app to AF. Do you know why this is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Since the last update, 18.4.0 (build 41) it hapenning with me too.
The only way to works is to close the AE, then copy text from the app (word, google docs, etc) and only opens AE after this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to chime in that I too am now having this problem.

I cannot paste copied text from word or text edit into AE, although I can paste into other programs fine.

One thing to note, If I open an effect that CAN receive pasted text, I CAN paste into that, such as Red Giant Universe's Uni.TextTile effect.

It is just the default text tool and text box I can't paste into. (And of course I am working on a very text-heavy project at the moment).

tried making a fresh new project, same thing.

Mac, OS 11.5

AE 18.4 (Build 41) 

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to be a 18.4 problem. I uninstalled and re-downloaded the previous version (18.2.1) and now it is working again. I am running Ae on PC and was having this issue from all possible sources, from Chrome, Word, Acrobat, Etc. After trouble shooting it seems that Ae was only pasting things that was copied into the clipboard from Ae. What a werid, annoying bug. Based on the time stamps on this thread it has to be recent because I used Ae last week with copying and pasting with no problems at all on the same exact project file. Anyway, hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources