• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frequent Low Memory Warnings in After Effects 23.0

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new update has completely bugged my after effects. The warning sign displays the message, 'Low memory warning. RAM use has been extended for previews. Adjust RAM setting in preferences > Memory & Preference'. Despite efforts to fix this issue, it makes the software impossible to use as the playback button will only play a second on a loop. 

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Crash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Hi all,

Thank you all again for reporting these issues with frequent low memory warnings and limited playback. A fix for this behavior is now available in After Effects 23.1. Please install After Effects 23.1 and let us know if you continue to experience this issue.

I've updated the title of this thread to reflect that these were issues seen in 23.0. If you do continue to see similar low-memory issues in AE 23.1 or later, please report them on a separate thread so that we can differentiate the

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
22 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be useful to actually provide system info and details about your memory & performance settings to put this into perspective.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Anna-Louise263816896k7s,

Thank you for reporting this issue. Would you please share your system specs (OS version, CPU, RAM, GPU), as well as what memory settings are set in Preferences > Memory & Performance?

Also, are you using any third-party plug-ins in this project? We are aware of some Red Giant plug-ins that were leaking memory that have been recently fixed, but there are likely others that we haven't heard about yet.

Thanks for reporting this issue and for any further information you can provide, 

- John, After Effects Engineering Team  

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem!

My system info

AndreyWhitily_0-1666730117853.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 64GB of DDR4 RAM - how on Earth is it the case that After Effects is running out of memory at all, let alone so frequently. 

This has been happening with compositions composed entirely of shape layers and a couple of .PNGs. No video footage, nothing exotic or complicated by any means. And yet After Effects is grinding to a halt when previewing and then displays this low memory warning. Most of the time purging memory and disk cache works, other times AE requires a restart. Either way this wasn't happening until I updated to the latest version - which was silly I know, since we all seem to be part of a live beta test with Adobe software these days. I think it would be worth letting users know that these updates are potentially problematic - we use this software in many cases to make a living, rushing this sort of thing out to meet your own deadlines can have severe impacts on ours. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having major issues running out of RAM on After Effects. I'm using M1 16GB but I see others are having same issue using 64GBs. My earlier v22.4 never had this problem but was crashing a bit. I upograded to 22.5 and started seeing this memory issue. So, I updated again to 22.6. The problem persisted. 

I was advised on this site to upgrade to v23 as the bug has been recitfied in this version. It has not. This really affecting my business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue + other bugs (Lumetri crash, slow renders).
Here my macbook pro specs.

macbook pro (16in, 2021)

chip apple m1 max

memory 64 gb

startup disk mac hd

serial number -  removed

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently Updated from Big Sur 11.4 to 11.7(so I could install Red Shift) and Affter Effects has stopped rendering anything longer that 5 minutes long.

My mac:

Mac Pro 2019

Big Sur 11.7

2.7Ghz 24 core Intel Xeon W

96GB RAM

AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB

EA Info:

Vesion 23.0.0 Build 59

AND in AE 22.6.0 buil64

Error Message:

<unreadable log removed by moderator>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please don't post entire logs in these forums.  they're too long under the best of circumstances.

when the log is using an unrecognized font, they're not readable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with after effects23 I have the 2022 m1 chip with 32G of RAM and it was working fine until this update. Whats going on adobe???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is no longer possible to work with the combination of Apple M1 chip and After Effects 23.0. Even the smallest animations are blocked with not enough RAM.
Surely there must be a solution for this?

Specs:
MacBookPro M1 Pro
16 Gb RAM
1 TB HD (over half still free)
OS X 12.6
After Effects 23.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues, with 

Mac Book Pro M1 Max 

64gb 2Tb

Frustrating to say the least, I have found that working with the Beta versions, using Rosetta solevs the problem, 

BUT it is unacceptable that paying an adobe susbcription and spent so much money on a presumably top end machine, I have to be working with a Beta version of AE... 

Try downlading Beta and using Rossetta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had, literally, four tehnicians  (from Adobe) on my computer last week including the guy who is top man for After Effects. None of them could solve my problem.  I have the new Mac Studio Ultra, top of the line, with 128 gigs of RAM.  Only in the new After Effects (2023)... every once in  while a warning comes up saying that I am low on memory. Error. Really?  I have 128 gigs and that never happens in After Effects 2022, only the new 2023. The tech people were baffled. As am I.  For now I'm fine with AE 2022... but...don't that test this stuff on the latest and greatest hardware?  I have no such issues with da Vinci Resolve. But that's for editing and color correction...I still need After Effects for graphics.  There's always a problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue and under investigation. Try to turn off multiframe rendering and see if it improves matters. And to your point: Testing on the "latest and greatest" hardware is sometimes not possible because even Adobe does not necessarily have access to new Apple hardware before release and in reverse, I've always been of the opinion that "shiny Mac syndrome" is just as bad, meaning too much emphasis on modern hardware (and expecting users to shell out money every two years for it) at the cost of neglecting older one or even declaring it unsupported. So there you go. There's just no way to satisfy everyone and avoid such issues.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I went to the doctor and they said there is no cure for the 'shiny Mac syndrome'... and it will only get worse in time devouring a portion of the brain.  Half-joking aside, are you trying to tell me that PCs are better?  If that's so, then you'll probably like a horse and buggy over a Tesla.  I'm not infatuated with Mac's because they are shiny, but because they are faster, more reliable, better built, no heating up the room, and lets face it, physically gorgeous. While those plastic toy PC's...well, they're good for heating up your house in the winter.

And yes, multiframe rendering is off. I never found it to be anything special in any version of AE. AND I keep a computer for around 5 years before I get the newest and groviest Mac!  But thanks for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now spent three hours with Adobe Support to find out that it appears to be version 23.0. I don't have any plugins installed that are causing the problem.
Version 18 runs great and version 22 runs ok.
With the updates for 23 it should get better - I will wait and see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Issue - Can't preview, basic funtions no working ie: Position. Literally can't work!
  • Adobe After Effects version number: 23.0
  • Operating system: M1 Pro Ventura 13.0

I am working on nothing exotic or complicated by any means, and yet I am getting warnings of low memory. I've done the obvious, clean cache, restart pc, close any other program, preview in third, forums, etc. Nothing works, this is so frustrating and a complete waste of time trying to make it work.
I can see this is an on going issue since the latest version of AE has been released. Is this going to be fixed any time soon?? Please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem with the last After Effects 2022 update and it seems it's carried to the 2023 version as well. Sadly the only solution i found was going back to After Effects 22.4 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue. It is so frustrating and makes it impossible to work quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thank you for reporting these issues. We've been working to get these memory issues resolved and a potential fix is now available in the latest Beta builds (version 23.2.0.9 or later).

If you can, please install the latest After Effects (Beta) build and let us know if you continue to see the Low Memory warning or inability to playback. We've seen improvements in our in-house testing, but having your help to validate would help us get this fix out more quickly.

Thanks again,

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I quickly tried the beta on my M1 Max OS 12.6 64GB and it seems to work properly.
I've been working on MOVs H264 with Keylight and the preview lagged a bit with that specific effect. 
Looking forward to the stable build.
Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

Thank you all again for reporting these issues with frequent low memory warnings and limited playback. A fix for this behavior is now available in After Effects 23.1. Please install After Effects 23.1 and let us know if you continue to experience this issue.

I've updated the title of this thread to reflect that these were issues seen in 23.0. If you do continue to see similar low-memory issues in AE 23.1 or later, please report them on a separate thread so that we can differentiate them from the issue seen in 23.0. There are several factors that can cause the low memory warnings and we are working to isolate and fix them as quickly as we can.

Thanks again for letting us know about these issues,

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate