• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hide After Effects failing on Mac OS Ventura

Contributor ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been seeing issues with Cmd-H ever since upgrading to Ventura, but unlike the Save As… dialog cursor bug, I haven't seen this one mentioned elsewhere. AE often fails to hide when I use Cmd-H. The UI focus shifts to the Finder, but the AE window remains visible. If I minimize AE, undocked panels remain visible and cause issues. Using the menu command After Effects > Hide After Effects seems to work more consistently than the keyboard shortcut, though that may be coincidence. The problem as a whole is intermittent, not constant, so it's hard to test and provide specific detailed descriptions.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
UI and UX

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Apple has informed us that a fix for this issue at the OS level has been made in MacOS 14 Beta 6 that should work with existing releases of AE. With that fix and the alternative workaround AE has implemented, users using AE 24.0 on any supported OS version or users using a supported version of AE on MacOS 14 should have the Hide App functionality restored. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 100 Replies 100
100 Comments
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying to reproduce the Hide bug (Ctrl + h) on my M2 Macbook Pro running 13.3.1. 

AE, and every other app I have tried hides as expected. The apps also are removed from the default F3 key, which previews all open and not hidden apps. I don't have or use Hot Corners except for the bottom right to Hot Note.  Maybe the bug has something to do with the way the System Settings are configured.

Alt + Tab to switch always brings AE and every other app back.

RickGerard_0-1684802669473.gif

I don't know if this helps the bug team or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Rick Gerard  - the best repro I have is to have only AE open along with a Finder window. Bring AE to the front, alt-tab in the Finder window, click back to AE and then Press Cmd+H. That seems to do it about 50% of the time for me.

If I also right-click on the toolbar icon for AE and say Hide, it'll also do it about 50% of the time for me. AE has literally no code that will respond to the OS/toolbar icon (currently) when choosing that Hide. That's an OS level call to tell the app to hide and sometimes AE does it and sometimes the OS thinks it has hidden the app but it remains onscreen. That's the part I'm trying to figure out now - is there something in AE that's stopping the window from going away. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked with only AE and Finder. About 50% of the time, AE would hide. Having a finder Panel open seems to cause problems occasionally. 

I don't usually hide apps, but I do a lot of Alt/Option + Tab to switch between them. I've never noticed any performance gain by hiding, but maybe I have not been paying enough attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still nothing 6 months later? is this an Apple issue or and Adobe issue. Seems 6 months is far too long to QA such a simple request?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread may be nearing 6 months but this issue is well over a year old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as we can tell, it's an Apple OS change that is causing this. It occurs more frequently if the last other non-AE window you were in was an OS Finder window. We are working with Apple to understand what the issue is and if we can do something on the AE side to fix it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mdominic It's not Adobe's to fix. It's a bug in the Apple OS code. As I said above, we are working with Apple on what has changed. The bug is still in their macOS 14 beta as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nonsense - if it was Apple's issue it would be happening in other software and it isn't. After Effects has always had issues with hiding/showing and this is just a more broken example. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen. I'm not buying the excuses. This has been going on for MUCH longer than the current iteration of Apple's system software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm the one who has been debugging this with Apple. There is no code in AE that is blocking the Hide that I can identify. AE doesn't even know about the Hide command taking place. It's all done at the OS level. If there was an AE-side fix, I promise you I would have implemented it by now. 

Feedback Assistant case with Apple is #12242313 and it's been escalated to get fixed for at least MacOS 14 as well as fixed in prior OS versions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't explain why this has been happening in previous iterations of the Apple system software. It's been going on for me for over a year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue has been there at least since MacOS 13's release, potentially in 12.*. The introduction of Stage Manager (even if you aren't using Stage Manager) seems to have made this more frequent, and it is most frequently occuring after a drag and drop from the OS Finder window into AE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the fact that selecting "Hide Others" from a different app (Safari, C4D, etc) DOES make After Effects disappear from the desktop a relevant data point? And I can then bring up other hidden apps and After Effects will STAY hidden? In fact, I can then bring up After Effects and succesfully hide it (sometimes). Mac Studio, OS 13.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's all likely related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is also the issue where when AE is open and you click anything else – the finder, another app – anywhere, and AE disappears. That's another bug that's maybe related and one that's been around for just as long as this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is it acceptable to Adobe for this issue to still exist 7 months later. I personally would be ashamed and embarrased if this were my company or god forbid I worked at Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 04, 2023 Jul 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! that's why we pay for a (expensive) monthly subscription...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohnColombo How's that fix going with the Adobe Engineering team? It's been four months since your reply stating that you were investigating, whatcha guys been up too? Seems like a prettty straight forward fix. This is just another reason, added to a very long list of reasons, that I have lost confidence in Adobe. Bye bye.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Apple have confirmed the increase of this occuring is due to a bug in the OS, broken between MacOS 12 and MacOS 13, related to the work they did with Stage Manager. Apple are currently testing a fix internally for MacOS 14. They have also given us some guidance on how we may be able workaround the bug giving some hope that a future version of AE will not have this problem on MacOS 13. 

Once the fix from Apple is available on MacOS 14 betas, and/or we can implement the workaround, we will follow up with more information.

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does make sense that this is something happening at the OS level, but this ONLY happens with After Effects, nothing else in the system. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be other apps out there that run into it, but yes, AE is certainly calling some OS level APIs that the underlying implementation from Apple changed unexpectedly. If you use the AE beta builds, the build (likely 24.0x14) that we release later today has a change in it that implements the workaround from Apple and it appears to improve the hide app situation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The few of these semi-detailed "explanations" that trickle out of Adobe ring hollow when this type of thing NEVER used to happen in the old days. And what I mean by "old days" were the days when we paid for our software programs outright, before this wretched monthly subscription model became the norm. We pay a premium for this software and for such a simple bug to persist for this length of time is just bad business. Nothing less. I'm disgusted with Adobe but I'm so invested in this product's toolset I feel chained down, with no power to demand better treatment but my tiny, little voice. Adobe knows it. Their inaction speaks louder than any words.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a fix available now in AE Beta builds (available on CCD in the Betas section). If this problem has been plauging you, please try out the beta and see if the issue is fixed. Thank, Sean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple has informed us that a fix for this issue at the OS level has been made in MacOS 14 Beta 6 that should work with existing releases of AE. With that fix and the alternative workaround AE has implemented, users using AE 24.0 on any supported OS version or users using a supported version of AE on MacOS 14 should have the Hide App functionality restored. 

Votes

Translate

Translate