• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ae doesnt use gpu power

Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2022 Aug 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi guys since i started learning Ae here i decided building up a pc that has all the terms to be a good rendering machine for adobe ae b4 that i was working with a laptop [dell workstation name precision m4800 with a quadro k1100 gpu and 32gb ram] and ae was working both with the gpu and cpu for ram previews and final rendering the version of ae is ae c15 [2018] lets say i was rendering some text with reflections and a rotating enviorment map reflecting on the text, but since its an old laptop and allso not so high end the rendering time was slow, so after net sniffing around i got this suggestions in order to build "a good rendering pc for Ae" the cpu is amds 5900x with 12 cores and 24 thread an nvidias rtx 3080 [an auros extreme with 10gb of vram] a asus mother board rog strix 570x and a noctua cooling system after installing everything and bring the pc alive tried to render an ae project with ae 2018 and got a few major errors the first one is: After Effects error: Ray-traced 3D: Out of paged mapped memory for ray tracer. Your project may exceed card limits. Try closing other applications. Try updating the CUDA driver. this error never happend in the previous laptop tryed looking around for this error on the web and realized that ADOBE stopped updating the ray tracing renderer and it doesnt support my new gpu... so ok whats left? moved over to the "better renderer" the c4d, and walla it worked no errors but another big problem- it doesnt use the gpu at all!!! it only relies on the cpu!! so rendering projects becomes longer the the old laptop.... ok- after that tried to update to ae 2022 and same prob no gpu use at all the gpu slumbers and waits to some one to give it a job and nothing so looked at some forums etc and find out that "oh didnt you know that ae doesnt use your gpu and relies mostly on your cpu and ram?" this is a makor problem!! off course adobe ae 2022 doesnt has a ray traced renderer at all coz adobe removed it over 2019 version for some reason so for summing up things this is my question- will it help buying an old gpu that adobe 2018 supports and use the old and good ray tracer that actually uses the gpu like my old laptop but a better one, or is there a way to normally render with the c4d renderer using a gpu?? only i care out of these things and feell like a dumbass with buying a high end machine [*thats ADOBE suggested on this gpu!!!!] and all in the end just forgot to tell its not going to work buddy does all the users of Ae when the try to render in 3d suffer big time for rendering [lets say about 34 hours for a 3 minute video?????] is it just me? or everybody feels this way but there nothing to do!! please advice here!!! thanks ahead

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another issue you might not be aware of is that AE only use a single core of your cpu to render.

In it's latest release they've introduced multicore rendering but I believe it's only for functions that support it.  And If your working with 2018 then it's definitely only gonna use one.   This is common mistake people make assuming more cores mean faster computing.  Better to go for the highest possible core speed rather than number of cores.  So depending on your former machines specs, the performance hit you're seeing could be due to higher core count with lower core speed..  

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also keep in mind After Effects is a compositing program, not a 3D program.

You be better of doing your basic 3D stuff in C4D or C4D lite and then bringing that into AE for compositing.  As for rendering you don;t necessarily have to do it in AE.  You can try to do it in Media Encoder if that's faster for you or any 3rd party rendering program that fully supports multi core rendering.

And I do not think you need a different GPU.

But you might want to wait for answer from people way more knowledgable than me in all things CG. 

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why After Effects is not memory optimzed? and even in some big functions like rotobrush and motion tracking it consumes more ram than vram. In motion tacking the analysis process only use CPU not GPU or both at the same time.  There must be toggle options in preferences so users can personalize their workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea.  But basic logic tells me that a cpu and gpu are literally two different things.  They have to be purchased separately and sit at two different locations on the motherbooard.  I assume if a GPU could do what a CPU does, then there'd be no need for a CPU.  And visa versa.  Maybe this won;t always be the case but as of today...the cpu and the gpu are still being manufactured and sold separatly so my assumption is that they both do different things and aren't really interchangeable?   I'm just taking poorly educated guesses at this point.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

reality proves that when i render same project over ae 2022 it takes the same render time with the same cpu so this doesnt make any sense coz in the same cpu i am using both with 2018 and 2022 ae takes same time to render so i dont see anything deiffrent between 2018 one core use and 2022 multicore rendering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

by the way calling ae a non 3d program is not true if the program has cameras lights reflections and depth of filed etc it is a composing what ever you want program problem that adobes decided removing ray traced engine that was working just fine in 2018 and not update it anymore and regarding c4d engine they still didnt bother make that 3d renderer as i say 3D yes? so a 3d engine is suppost to use a gpu this is obvious 

the real thing i am looking for for a person that used 2018 with a good gpu and can tell me yes if you buy this and that gpu it will render just fine

seems adobe goes backwards when it come to rendering, that a sad fact. rendering a 3 minute video with a bit of reflection on text shouldent take that long [5 hours without any additional effects added to it only some light and reflections of enviorment map] 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines