• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects error: Can't import as a sequence. Found no matches for the selected file name.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AfterEffects_Error_ImportImageSequence.jpg

I get this error when importing an image sequence in to After Effects 2020 (Version 17.0.4 (Build59)). The funny thing is that it works just fine when importing the very same image sequence in the previous version of After Effects (Version 16.1.3 (Build 5)) ... This means I can't use the latest version of After Effects, since I work with image sequences all the time. Have anyone else encountered this problem and/or have a solution or workaround?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have not provided any info about the actual file naming, file types, storage locations and so on, so we can't realyl tel lyou anything. Aside from AE being buggy as hell these days something specific could be going on that could be easily fixed like renaming a folder. Impossible to know with no specific info at hand.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about that. I will try to fill in the blanks here ... The syntax of the file names in the image sequences I use all look similar to this: 'Speaker04_Handle_00000.jpg'. The error appears no matter the file-type (JPG, PNG, TIFF etc.). The image sequences are all stored on my local SSD harddrive (C:). I am running After Effects in the latest version of Windows 10 (64 bit) on my workstation, which is a DELL Precision / Intel Xeon CPU E5-2687W v4 @ 3.00Ghz. I am not sure if there are any other information that would be relevant to solving this problem, but please let me know if there is. 🙂   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked your Windows Update status and/ or recently installed other apps? The issue with some file format handlers appears to be related to botched DLLs being installed, so manually re-installing the MSVC 11 DLLs and such may actually fix it.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, though I'm not sure how to do that, but I will find out and give it try. I will update you on the outcome. Thanks again. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

I am facing the same issue with the latest version. Were you able to solve the isuue? Can you share the solution please. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I just discovered that the problem occurs when I try to import image sequences from a 'mapped network drive' -folder. But if I import the same image-sequence from the same location on my hard drive, but using the local path (c:/...) instead, solves the problem. This quirk is only in the 2020 version of After Effects, which I think is a bit odd, since linking to an image-sequences from a 'mapped network drive' -folder still works just fine in the 2019 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you suggest a fix for Mac. I am still facing the problem. Tried changing the location of the folder to desktop too still didnt work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like giving AE 2020 "Full Disk Access" permissions solves the issue (at least for me).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! this worked for me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you give AE 2020 "Full Disk Access?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

on Windows 10, not a Mac....is there a way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed this is a problem still with AE 2021 (Windows 10).  No idea how to fix this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe your path is too long? X:\DriveName\ReallyLongClientName\project_name_is_really_really_long\Folder_is_Named_ReallyLong\AgainReallyLongFolderName\Really-really-really-long-filename00001.png

Is it 260 or over? Try to make less than 260 characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2024 Jan 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are using AI to create images, you get long file names. 
DALL·E 2024-01-11 22.13.43 - A Victorian-era bedroom scene depicting a person lying awake in bed with a look of distress and anxiety. The room is dimly lit, evoking a somber mood,png

In my case, I had successfully created the clip in Premiere Pro. It was only when I decided to update the image within After Effects did my problems start. Changing it to a sensible name title.png fixed it for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue! Copying files to a local drives is a workaround, but not a good permanent solution. Hoping for more information on a fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I had the same solutionm as MarkusEker. If you transfer the sequence to a local drive/desktop/something like that, it should link up fine. It should even work if you then move it BACK to the same place....almost like you're tricking AE into thinking its a new/different sequence.

It's very silly solution, but at least it's a fix...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any solution to this besides the workaround? Is this a windows issue or is it an After Effects issue? Why is it working with older After Effects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont know of any other solution besides the one I posted above. I work on a Windows, but something tells me its an AE glitch that some things just get lost in translation. 

I've also ONLY noticed when I grab a collected / zipped project from someone else, almost like something got corrupted or messed up during the collecting process...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This function is broken all the way back to 17.0.1.  Version 17.0 seems to work correctly, but this must be fixed as it's an essential feature for AE!  Shocked that it's been overlooked for so many versions now!!

Please make this a priority!

Thank You,

Ramy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dragged and dropped whole PNG folder into the AE. It worked for me and a couple of Co-workers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From a network drive?  Just tried it in the latest AE 2022 and it's still broken.  Please fix this Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone find a Windows fix for this?

Still the same issue with the latest version (AE 2023)

Individual files will import perfectly from the network drive, only as a sequence it will fail!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 
Anyone, who has the same problem - try the solution of "Nakarinen" in the post of this thread about long path to filename. Here is the really worked idea.
I had the same problem: I've imported well the sequence by this path:
"C:\_Active_PROJ\Spine man folio\man postprod\(Footage)\comps\20 layers\000-Rendered-proxies\1 colored\_man test 20 4 coloring 3 2 lime tree and plant desaturate 2 w2 lighter\_man test 20 4 coloring 3 2 lime tree and plant desaturate 2 w2 lighter_00000.png".

But when I rendered new proxy, that lying near with the previous one, but in its own new folder, that has the minor updated name (added some symbols more to the path):
"C:\_Active_PROJ\Spine man folio\man postprod\(Footage)\comps\20 layers\000-Rendered-proxies\1 colored\_man test 20 4 coloring 3 2 lime tree and plant desaturate 2 w2 lighter 2 cam acting\_man test 20 4 coloring 3 2 lime tree and plant desaturate 2 w2 lighter 2 cam acting_00000.png". So, this new sequence trigger the same problem that topic-starter described: when exporting seq, both AE 2020, AE 2023 gives to me the described error.

Solution: when I renamed folder of the new (problematic) sequence to the name shorter, that it has (in my case I renamed folder just to "Camera_acting" (not the "_man test 20 4 coloring 3 2 lime tree and plant desaturate 2 w2 lighter 2 cam acting") - hellyeah, it works well! xD

It was Long path, brothers, long path! 

Nakarinen, thank you for the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines