Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects is exporting vector file animation pixelated

New Here ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am making a simple logo animation. The files I'm using are ai. vector files which I have imported into After Effects. I am using Full render and preview quality and the vectors are slightly pixelated. Unsure if this is due to After effects compressing things though.  This image is a screenshot in AE:

Screenshot 2019-05-29 at 15.56.49.png

Then when I export it the quality is lost even more and the end video is very pixelated.  I usually use h.264 but have been trying prores also

My comp settings are

1400 x 450. (its for a web banner)

fps 25

Square Pixels

I am exporting in Encoder

When I export settings are

h.264

Preset: Custom

VBR-2 (both at 14, the max amount)

Max render is ticked

This screenshot is after export:

Screenshot 2019-05-29 at 15.59.18.png

As you can see the quality is pixelated and the colours are different

Does anyone know what I can do? been on forums and trying different things all day!

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have continually rasterize for the layer turned on? That Sun looking icon in the layer between shy guy and the quality setting. If not, try turning that on. That should ensure the vector file renders cleanly.

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 11.38.13 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Continuously Rasterize, read jenkmeister answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi yeh sadly I've already got this on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just recreated everything as shape layers and in an older version of AE to see if that's it but the video is still pixelated. I think it's happening in the export maybe. The colours are fading too, which I can't have happening as brand colours for the logo obviously need to be the same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

show us the export settings with a screen capture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2019-05-29 at 20.32.46.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H264 video does not maintain your vectors as they are converted to pixels. I've seen that you are targeting your bitrate between 10 and 12Mbps, maybe too low for this kind of video. Try to change VBR to CBR and/or bitrate to at least 20mbps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh really ok. I didnt know that about h.264. Is their a better codec I could use?

I will try CBR also thanks

I did try using higher bitrates on some tests but no change, but this was with VBR

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, there are better codecs than H264 but it depends what is the destination for this video. If you want a high quality codec then use Animation, Prores 422HQ, Prores4444 or Uncompressed in a Quicktime file. But this format will not be suitable for, for example, web or mobile device playback.

Also, you can do a couple of things before exporting. The first one is configuring your AE project to 16bpc (you can change this in the bottom of the project window). Also, you can check the Use Maximum Render Quality option in Adobe Media Encoder, located in the bottom right of your AME interface.

VBR is a more efficient profile encoding than CBR but sometimes can create some artifacts (degradation) when the analysis for the 2 passes establishes that there are no movement in the image. CBR maintains a constant bitrate for every single frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried all of these codecs and they had the same outcome. Also the destination is for web and I also need it in mp4 not mov.

I also ticked the maximum render quality (sorry I know its not ticked in the screenshot)

Ill try the 16bpc,although i think again i have tried this

Hopefully CBR is the one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What size is your original composition in After Effects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2019 May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made one in 1920x1080 and one 1400 x 450

Thinking it was the scaling though I recreated the shapes etc for the new web size

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it turns out the video size was just too small, Ive scaled up on the same ratio to 2100 x 675 and it is much better quality

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For colour I turned Image P3 on in project settings and colours seems to be matching better also

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you tried making your logo like a Shape in a shape layer into After Effects? I thing you can do that with the Pen Tool because your logo is not very difficult to illustrate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines