Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects not seeing PostScript Fonts

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

After applying the latest update for AE and Premiere this morning, I noticed that neither program lists PostScript Type 1 fonts in their respective font menus. AE CC 2017 still lists (sees) the PostScript  Type 1 fonts correctly. Did I miss a notification regarding dropping support of PostScript  Type 1 fonts or is something amiss? Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator still see PostScript  Type 1 fonts. Seems to have only affected the video applications?

System Specs below:

Mac Pro 5,1 (2012)

128 GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 980

macOS 10.12.6

Font Management via FontExplorer X

Thanks for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

We are investigating a problem where After Effects 15.1 is unable to see certain PostScript fonts. This is an unintentional change, and we're still in the discovery phase.

Workarounds in the meantime for this would be to convert the font or obtain an OpenType or TrueType version of it. Failing that, create the text in Photoshop and use the PSD source instead of a native text layer in After Effects. (Yes, that's a bit of a hassle, which would work best if you're not animating the text and don't ha

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are investigating a problem where After Effects 15.1 is unable to see certain PostScript fonts. This is an unintentional change, and we're still in the discovery phase.

Workarounds in the meantime for this would be to convert the font or obtain an OpenType or TrueType version of it. Failing that, create the text in Photoshop and use the PSD source instead of a native text layer in After Effects. (Yes, that's a bit of a hassle, which would work best if you're not animating the text and don't have to do more editing.) Sorry about the hiccup here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the update Tim. You should also note that the issue seems to be affecting Premiere Pro as well. Thank you also for the listing of workarounds, obviously as you mention the PSD workaround would be an extreme hassle for certain types of animation or FX. Here's hoping you and your team resolve the issue quickly.

imageproxy.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue also, it is somewhat disagreeable and unsatisfactory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are very polite I have to say. It is a very poor situation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm english, this is about as rude as I can sound. Unless someone spills my tea, then it's WAR!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Ozzy noted, the SAME issue exists in Premiere Pro 12.1 as well. So I hope both the PPro and AE teams are working together on this and will fix soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Any advance on this problem? I am trying to use a Postscript font on the latest version of Premiere Pro and it can't be found in the font dropdown even though it's loaded in Font Explorer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sunstreet  wrote

Hi. Any advance on this problem? I am trying to use a Postscript font on the latest version of Premiere Pro and it can't be found in the font dropdown even though it's loaded in Font Explorer?

We are evaluating a fix for this problem for a future update to both After Effects and Premiere Pro. No other details to share at this time.

Currently, the best workaround is to convert Type 1 PostScript fonts to OpenType or TrueType using a font conversion utility. There are several such utility applications available, both free and paid, I'm not going to recommend one specifically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I bought a converter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

“ I’m not going to recommend one”.  Wow.

You broke it Bubba, you have an obligation to suggest a fix, be more specific about why you won’t recommend one. 

If if I have to weed through conversion programs to find a good one that’s ridiculous.  If I did that to my customers I’d be out of business in short order, and rightfully so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BartonGarrett256  wrote

be more specific about why you won’t recommend one.

I wouldn't recommend a camera or computer hardware manufacturer to you without knowledge of your requirements. For a font converter, the requirements are quite simple: create a valid OTF or TTF file. I would only recommend against solutions that don't meet that requirement, and since I know of none to recommend against, I make no recommendations. You are free to make your own choice here.

If you need assistance with finding a font conversion application, here is a Google search that produces several results on the first page:
https://www.google.com/search?q=convert+postscript+font+to+otf

Among the top hits on that search are Convertio, Everything Fonts, and Online Font Converter.

I should also clarify that I give this advice under the assumption that your license for the font allows you to convert that font.

Regarding the original issue, we are working on a solution for a future update to After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim, thank for the update. Please keep in mind that this exact same issue afflicts Adobe Premiere Pro as well ... and it arose at the same time. Please assure us that the After Effects and Premiere Pro teams are working together on a solution, since it's very likely that they both result from the same bug. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

danpreston  wrote

Please assure us that the After Effects and Premiere Pro teams are working together on a solution, since it's very likely that they both result from the same bug. Thanks.

I assure you that the After Effects and Premiere Pro teams are working together on the solution. The bug is a result of a change to code shared between the applications, and we intend any future fix to apply to both applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So many bugs in this update – its really unbelievable, and quite frankly unacceptable.  When can we expect to have this font problem to be fixed? I'm still waiting ... two months later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim,

It has now been two whole months since Adobe first released After Effects 15.1 which broke PostScript fonts.  AfterEffects 15.1.1 has been released, which does not fix the problem.  When Adobe announced the Creative Cloud, it was sold to us, your customers, as being able to have more frequent updates and added features.  Do you consider one update every two months to be "frequent"?  Also, do you find it acceptable that breaking fonts than taking more than two months to fix it is acceptable?

This is a textbook example of why the subscription model is horrible for the customer and only benefits Adobe and their ever-increasing profits.  Sacrifice quality to increase profits.

When will After Effects be fixed?  Don't insult me and everyone else with this problem by simply saying "we're working on it.  We pay money every month for a product that's broken, so can I have my last two month's payment back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is VERY important to stress that the font can only be converted with an EULA that allows it, which for the most part a lot of the fonts I use, don't.

This is especially unhelpful when working on team projects or having to pass files to seperate production agencies to work on, who then have a huge conflist with this workaround also.

Converting to flat graphics is too time intensive when workflows are already set up for large batch processes.

Really poor this one. I've had a total nightmare on upgrading today. Has cost me hours or time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are the expert, you broke it, you have an obligation to tell us where we will see problems, the extent of the problem and how to work around it.  And tell us when a fix will be coming (that means a specific date, or a range of dates) so we can plan accordingly, should we not use a class of fonts or specific fonts? I do not see these as unreasonable expectations.  This is not hobbyist software.

This is not shareware, we pay every month for the software, under contract, we have a reasonable expectation that it will work as promised.   Many of us are running businesses working on deadline and we also can't bill for things like this.  Problems like this take money out of our pockets.

When I was a product manager I told people on my team- everybody screws up at some point, it is not the screwing up, it is how you react and take care of your customers when you do that differentiates businesses. 

I am an expert on a few things, font conversion is not one of them, nor do I want to be an expert on font conversion.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any updates? This is ridiculous. Can I get a refund for a broken product?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this error vary from font to font (OS related)? 

We have success on one machine (15.1.0) but failure with the same font on another machine (15.1.1)

Hope this helps to a speedy solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When do you expect this font issue to be resolved? It has been months now ... unacceptable!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Was there any resolution to this? I just discovered the problem with a client's project and tried installing 2019 and the issue is happening in both 2018 and 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found this out the hard way. I almost never update programs when they come out but I hit the update button today. This is most annoying. Please sort it out soonish. It is a complete pain since you cannot animate fonts with the workaround suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, thank god for the downgrade option!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Repost of another thread I made:

Transcript from my tech support call regarding problems with the AE update not showing active fonts....

For context, I had attempted another "chat" about an hour prior to this chat, and was instructed to contact Extenis/Suitcase:

This was the second chat session.

----------------------------------------------------------

Date: 2018-04-12 04:30:26 SGT

To: Everyone

With the new version few issues going on with the fonts

Date: 2018-04-12 04:30:51 SGT

For now I would recommend you to use the previous version

Date: 2018-04-12 04:31:01 SGT

Fonts are fine in everything EXCEPT after Effects.

Date: 2018-04-12 04:31:10 SGT

yes

Date: 2018-04-12 04:31:20 SGT

this issue is only with the after effects

Date: 2018-04-12 04:31:35 SGT

I have an identical computer in my office that IS NOT having this problem with after effects.

Date: 2018-04-12 04:33:21 SGT

?

Date: 2018-04-12 04:33:58 SGT

Yes

Date: 2018-04-12 04:34:05 SGT

That is why I am saying that

Date: 2018-04-12 04:34:10 SGT

this is an issue

Date: 2018-04-12 04:34:13 SGT

going on

Date: 2018-04-12 04:34:24 SGT

sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn`t

Date: 2018-04-12 04:34:59 SGT

Why did the person I chatted with an hour ago tell me to contact Extensis, and not tell me that this was a known issue with AE?

Date: 2018-04-12 04:37:27 SGT

?

Date: 2018-04-12 04:38:00 SGT

please allow me 2minutes

Date: 2018-04-12 04:38:07 SGT

let me check the previous chat

Date: 2018-04-12 04:40:13 SGT

I really apologize for that

Date: 2018-04-12 04:41:14 SGT

how do i install the previous version? Which version specifically doesn't have this issue? If I go back to an earlier version, will I be able to open files that I've been working on with the newer version?

Date: 2018-04-12 04:41:40 SGT

yes

Date: 2018-04-12 04:42:08 SGT

Close the after effects

Date: 2018-04-12 04:42:22 SGT

go ahead.

NOTE: Support person at this time performed as "save as" on the open file, and reverted it back to the previous version.

He/she then uninstalled the most recent version of AE, and installed the previous version. I opened the file he had "saved as", and it opened fined, and the type issue was gone.

Date: 2018-04-12 04:47:10 SGT

what about other AE files that I saved with the newer version? Files that haven't been "saved as"?

Date: 2018-04-12 04:47:40 SGT

it will save everything in that version

Date: 2018-04-12 04:48:37 SGT

No, I mean that you did a save as with the file I had opened already before you installed the old version. what about other files that haven't been "saved as"?

Date: 2018-04-12 04:49:02 SGT

ok

Date: 2018-04-12 04:49:37 SGT

you need to update the application again and save them using the save as option in cc14 version

Date: 2018-04-12 04:49:41 SGT

and open them again

Date: 2018-04-12 04:50:05 SGT

shouldn't I have known that before you reverted to the older version?

Date: 2018-04-12 04:50:40 SGT

I just showed you the steps

Date: 2018-04-12 04:50:49 SGT

may I know how many files you have?

NOTE: At this point I opened an AE file that had been most recently saved using the latest (problematic) version. It opened fine in the previous version of AE.

Date: 2018-04-12 04:52:01 SGT

The file I just opened had been saved in the most recent version.

Date: 2018-04-12 04:52:46 SGT

So, I don't need to "you need to update the application again and save them using the save as option in cc14 version" do I?

NOTE: At this point I opened an another AE file that had been most recently saved using the latest (problematic) version. It opened fine as well

Date: 2018-04-12 04:53:59 SGT

This file I just opened was also created/saved in the most recent version, and opened fine.

Date: 2018-04-12 04:54:35 SGT

It`s not possible?

Date: 2018-04-12 04:54:54 SGT

May I know when you created these files?

Date: 2018-04-12 04:55:02 SGT

Look at the modified date for this next file.

Date: 2018-04-12 04:55:43 SGT

and when you update your after effects?

Date: 2018-04-12 04:55:44 SGT

April 6 it was last saved. With the most recent version.

Date: 2018-04-12 04:57:14 SGT

AE was updated prior to April 6. Yet the earlier version still opens the files just fine.

Date: 2018-04-12 04:58:00 SGT

ok

Date: 2018-04-12 04:58:55 SGT

ok what?

Date: 2018-04-12 04:59:24 SGT

please allow me 3-4minutes

Date: 2018-04-12 04:59:29 SGT

let me test this on my end

Date: 2018-04-12 05:09:13 SGT

It's been 10 minutes

Date: 2018-04-12 05:09:44 SGT

I am downgrading my after effects and it is taking a bit time

Date: 2018-04-12 05:09:59 SGT

and I really apologize for the long wait time

Date: 2018-04-12 05:10:39 SGT

Thank you.

Date: 2018-04-12 05:10:45 SGT

Take your time. Just let me know where to send my tech support bill.

Date: 2018-04-12 05:11:00 SGT

Yes you do not need to convert the project

Date: 2018-04-12 05:11:24 SGT

it will directly open the newer version project in the previous version

Date: 2018-04-12 05:11:38 SGT

yep.

Date: 2018-04-12 05:11:55 SGT

Anything else I may help you with?

Date: 2018-04-12 05:12:07 SGT

What was the first thing you helped me with?

Date: 2018-04-12 05:12:58 SGT

Anything else apart from this issue?

Date: 2018-04-12 05:13:09 SGT

Seems like I was the one helping you!

Date: 2018-04-12 05:13:17 SGT

I'

Date: 2018-04-12 05:13:19 SGT

Thank you

Date: 2018-04-12 05:13:50 SGT

I'm fine. other than having wasted two hours of my time and now have a headache.

Date: 2018-04-12 05:14:17 SGT

bye!

Date: 2018-04-12 05:14:17 SGT

Thank you for contacting Adobe. Good Bye.

Date: 2018-04-12 05:14:37 SGT

Assume your supervisors will get a copy of this transcript.

Date: 2018-04-12 05:14:49 SGT

Amit Chaudhary has stopped viewing the customer's screen.

Thanks Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines