• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AfterEffects keeps crashing whenever I collect files.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I try to collect files, AfterEffects freezes and stops responding. I have tried this with the latest version v22.2 and v 18.4.4. Both have the same issue. I've also tried using different AE files to ensure my file is not corrupted. Please help

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

I have the same exact issues. I'm running Mac Os 12.0. Apple M1 pro chip. After Effects 2022 version 22.2.1 (Build 3). When saving to my computer it just copies some of the files and freezes.

What does work is if I collect files adn save to an external hardrive.

Please fix asap. Thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Hey @Joseph241885944ea6 . Thank you so much! you save my life) Collecting to the external drive works well for me also!!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nishu....

the problem is always here. please help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe Community!

I am in need of desprate help! I have been encountering this error for the longest time, trying to resovle it.

Things I have tried:

• Uninstall and reinstall AE
  • Downgrading AE
  • Making sure AE Sharing & Permisson Privilege is Read & Write
  • Unplug all mouse and cables connected to my macbook
  • Working with no TIFF files project

Send me some help please please please. 

Thank you for your time! 

kittzz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kittzz,

Sorry for your issue. Please share the following details so that we can troubleshoot the issue properly.

• What are your system specifications (CPU, GPU, RAM, OS version)?
  • What's the exact version of After Effects you're using?
  • Does it happen with all the projects or a particular one?
  • Where your files are stored? Are they stored in external, network, or internal storage?

Let us know, we're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Nishu,

thanks for the speedy respons! 

• I am currently on macOS Monterey Version 12.2.1, M1 Max Chip.
  • Adobe After Effects 2022 Lastest
  • This error occur 98% off the time, is that rare 2% it works on really small simple projects.
  • Files are just stored in my Finder > Documents, not a share folder or anything.

I hope i provide you relevent infomation. Thank you so much for your time and help onces again Nishu! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry just to be specific on the After effects version,

Version 22.2.1 (build 3)

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Nishu,

Sorry for the rush, but any updates on this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay in response.

I've seen a similar issue where changing the location of the Documents folder caused issues in After Effects. Have you changed the location of your documents folder? Could you create a new project for testing and keep all the files on your desktop and see if it issue occurs?

You can try resetting the preferences of After Effects as a basic maintenance step: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-after...

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Nishu,

Thank you so much for your respond!

I did a mini test on it like you asked with all the files on the deskstop and it worked!! I managed to collected all my files.

However the projects I have been working on are all in my documents folders, does that work differently from it being in the desktop folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying that.

It should be any different unless After Effect's access is restricted to the Documents folder. Please go to the following article and change the permissions as instructed: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/x-productkb/multi/preferences-folder-read-only-error.html 

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Nishu,

But I have already done that permission step way back and i am still having trouble doing so. seems like there isn't much fix to this issue. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still no solution to the problem?
I use a macbook pro 2019 with monterrey. I have another macbbok pro 2019 computer but with Catalina the problem does not exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue on a Macbook Pro OS 12.4 Monterey, AE versions 22.3 and 22.5. Freezes as soon as I hit collect and shows 0 for progress in the pop-up. My PC works just fine though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this was answered in adobe support "I worked with your user Lauren Mascolo on this issue this morning. This is a known issue [int. ref. DVAAE-4223803] that we’ve fixed in our internal builds. The fix should be included in the next monthly update build, which will be After Effects 22.6. I don’t have an exact release date for the 22.6 update. The fix is also in the After Effects public beta, v.23.0, which is available in the Creative Cloud desktop app currently. Lauren and I confirmed on the call that the problem doesn’t occur in 23.0 Beta.
Please let me know if you have further questions."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much @henrygts 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I have the same problem, cannot collecting files, it spins for 5 min. and ends in failed. Even just testing with a simple file, with just 1 jpg link, it still failed.  AE did collect the JPEG into footage folder, but cannot finish saving file into packaged folder. 

It's a work Mac all lockdown, I cannot have any plugins. And I cannot have any external drive connection, So I cannot use the method mentioned to collect file to external drive.

(machine: MacOS Monterey, ver 12.5 - 4.2GHZ Quad core Itel core i7, Memory 16 gb)

Please let me know if this issue been fixed or how to go about it (other than collect to external drive)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BlueGem,

Sorry for your issue.

Are you collecting the project to a cloud folder (Google Drive, Dropbox, iCloud, etc)? If so, try collecting to a folder that is not synced.

Let us know if that works.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

Try to use the beta version of After just for collecting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I'm running the latest version (23.1) on a M1 MacBook Pro Running Montery OSX 12.6.

I also have a weird slowdown after using AFX for 30 minutes or so. Speed drops to 50% or slower.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue now too with any project file I try to collect.

System: MacOS Ventura 13.2.1

AfterEffects Version: 23.2

When I colllect files, AE hangs at 99% of the pre-collect save process.  If I manage to get it to collect without saving, then AE hangs before I even get to choose which drive the files are collected to.  I'm just getting the spinning beach ball of death and no dialogue boxes at all.

Please send help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only workaround I found is to use a Windows machine when this happens. Of course it's a major issue when there are plugins, fonts, or any other media tied to work machines/servers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am trying to collect files for an AE Project and keep encountering this same error message, and then the process aborts. I have tried multiple things based on discussion threads (reducing before collecting; saving to external or internal harddrives; restarting AE). I also erased and reloaded this footage file. Nothing has helped. I am using AE 23.2 (Build 65) on a 2023 MacBook Pro with Apple M2 Max chip. Running Ventura 13.4.1 (c). My footage is on an external drive connected by USB3 (It is a fast drive). I have tried collecting to my harddrive, to the same external drive, and to a different external drive (RAID connected by USBC). The AE project does have a lot of compositions embedded within eachother, and there is 141GB of material to collect (mostly footage).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines