• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot import any mp4 or mov files into after effects

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty simple. Thought I'd give adobe a shot, but the program does not allow me to import an mp4 or MOV file.

When first importing a file into the project tab the only available files it will show me are .fla files. I select to see all files in the folder. I then choose a .mov file to import and am met with an error telling me that it cannot import a .fla file without adobe animate CC installed.

I am left confused wondering what the issue can possibly be. The program does not work as intended. I don't want to request a refund, but if the program doesn't work as intended what choice am I left with?

Only options are .fla filesOnly options are .fla filesSelect all files then choose file to importSelect all files then choose file to import

Error message for imported mov fileError message for imported mov file

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found my own solution. It is quite simple. 

I was having an issue with every adobe program hanging on a .prm exporting issue. This is including after effects. However, with after effects I rolled back the "fix" I read about on these forums. I had renamed the mediacore folder which bypassed the hangup for aftereffects. This allowed after effects to actually open. I decided to roll back this "fix" because I was not able to import any .mov file. So, I figured rolling back the file change name would set me back by not allowing after effects to open, but I figured if I could solve the hang up issue then the importing issue wouldn't be an issue. Turns out my instincts were correct. 

I tried everything these forums had to offer. After my tenth time of installing all the programs I use I began poking around with the core .exe files in these programs. 

I decided to right click on the core .exe file for after effects. The file is under adobe\adobe after effects 2020\support files. This is located under my default file installation that adobe designated. Anyways, I right clicked on the file, selected properties that is located at the bottem of the menu. Another menu will pop up with six tabs at the top of the window. The tab you most are concerened with here is 'Comapatibility' tab. I clicked on that tab. I then checked the box that says, "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" The box below this check box is a drop down menu. I then clicked on that box and the drop down menu gave me these options; Windows Vista, Windows Vista (Service Pack 1), Windows Vista (Service Pack 2), Windows 7, and Windows 8. 

Instinctually, I decided to chose Windows 7. I clicked the 'Apply' button, hit OK and then loaded after effects. 

After Effects loaded up with no issues AND I was able to import all of the .mov files I wanted to import into after effects. 

On top of after effects working just fine, all of the other programs I use with adobe; Premiere, Photoshop, and Media Encoder worked just fine when I applied the same compatilibity solution to their .exe files. 

I want to add that mp4s are not a file that can be imported into after effects. This is something I was not aware of before. 

whatever the case. Problem solved, headaches gone, lets create some high quality content. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to drag and drop the .mp4 .MOV file directly inside the project window 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I appreciate your contribution to trying to solve my issue, but the problem is much more complicated than your provided solution. I've discovered the actual solution after hours of searching, poking and prodding, and many uninstalls and reinstalls. The solution is provided above. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines