Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing keyboard shortcuts?

Participant ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am getting started with After Effects and whenever I attempt to edit a shortcut, AE gives me an error saying that the particular key you are trying to edit cannot be reassigned. This is EXTREMELY frustrating as I use other Adobe products, as well as another Motion Graphic program, and would like to make the keyboard shortcuts as similar for similar functions as possible. Is there a way to override this error and change the shortcuts? I mean, some of these things that I am trying to reassign I will never use for what I will be doing.

I also have located the file in which AE stores the file of the keyboard shortcuts, but when I go edit, there are no friendly names inside the file. Each command is labeled as "PLUGIN_CMD_####", "IDM_*" or "IDM_A_*" (where #### is a string of numbers and * is a section of text). Is there a reference to these command identifiers to what they really symbolize? Then I can try to edit this and hopefully force AE to load these shortcuts.

Thank you!

Ryan Thompson.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All common keyboard shortcuts are visible in the menu system. You can reassign some, but not all of them. Most are pretty common and you probably would be doing yourself a disservice to reassign them because tutorials and books will be using the standard shortcuts.

There may be occasions where you want to create a different shortcut for a specific task or assign keys to a task that does not have a specific shortcut assigned. The keyboard editor is very new but it should be pretty easy to understand and use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. However, I am not new to the keyboard shortcut editor. If there is not a workaround for this, I may decide to revert back to my old software and stop using AE. I am just one of those people that expects complete control when you pay this much for software.

Ryan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some shortcuts can't be changed. Feel free to use other software or make feature requests. If you are trying to edit movies in AE instead of creating composites and visual effects or design motion graphics there may be another software would be a better choice. Nothing at the price point is as capable of the things AE is designed to do. It's not an editor. It's not perfect, but it is more capable of doing the kind of work I do and doing it efficiently and making a profit than anything out there that is anywhere close to the price point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The attitude of AE users and Adobe is one of the reasons why people find this software annoying. Instead of being more receptive to something that can be fixed, instead it's just go an use some other software your not good enough to use AE. Attitude like that just turns people away, then where will your software be. One of the reasons I hate asking anything is because of this snobbery. Yes there is major flaws in the keyboard shortcut menu , so instead of telling the guy to leave why don't you try and get it fixed. Also a side note AE media browser docent work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This URL (After Effects keyboard shortcuts reference ) shows you which keys are reserved by AE. In addition to these reserved shortcuts, SHIFT+x, where x is a shortcut for one of the Transform Properties is also reserved. I suggest you refrain from editing any file in the aeks folder. Instead, use the Keyboard Shortcuts Visualizer

The new Keyboard Shortcuts Visualizer opens up close to 100 hundred, new shortcuts, to users. There is a lot to gain from leveraging this new feature.

Here's an article I wrote on things to measure up when creating your own shortcuts or changing existing shortcuts.

http://www.broadcastGEMs.com/mediaserver01/RolandK_AE_CC2018_KSV_v01X.pdf

Lastly, which keys are you intending to create shortcuts for that provide the error you mentioned?

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the documentation that you have provided. It will take some trial and error along with time to get everything to my liking. I have answered your specific key question below.

I am trying to edit and remap TO the following keys:

Q, W, A, S, D, F, G, Z, X, C, V, B (I like everything to be under my left hand for efficiency, time is money in this business)

Some of the keys that I have tried to move to this area but no avail:

-, =, Left Arrow, Down Arrow (Specifically Zoom in and out on the timeline, not the viewer and move to the next frame and previous frame on the timeline, not the viewer.)

I would appreciate any suggestions that you may have.

Ryan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest looking for a fully programmable keypad to keep by your left hand.  If you can't assign AE functions to keys, the next logical step is to attempt to assign keys to "other" keys.  I'm not saying this will work.  Maybe AE will not recognize the programmable keypad.  I'm just thinking preposition the corn grinder marathon.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not certain what you want to do with the arrow keys. I'll need to know what Commands you want to be affected by shortcuts.

The following image is a page from the PDF I suggested you download, earlier. What's missing from my PDF is Mouse+Keystroke shortcuts. For Timeline zooming in and out, hold down the ALT key while you slide the Mouse Scroll/Wheel up/down. The zoom area is contextualized to the cursor area. BTW, this contextualized zoom works in the Comp Panel, with the same Mouse+Key combo.

To scroll across the Timeline, hold down the SHIFT key while you slide the Mouse Scroll/Wheel up/down.

RolandK_KSV_ScreenCap_MiscTimeline.PNG

The PDF has a content page for easy navigation. I've also separated the shortcuts into different sections of AE's UI and also functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did notice the PDF and keyboard shortcut that you provided, earlier, but I did not look much into this. After taking a look at the pictures you provided and reading some more of the PDF, I actually really like how you have your preset setup. I am thinking of making a couple of changes, but I will start with this as a base. THANK YOU!

Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm glad you've found the PDF useful. I've made a minor correction - here's the URL to the latest version  -

http://www.broadcastGEMs.com/mediaserver01/RolandK_AE_CC2018_KSV_v01X.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines