• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Evenly distribute keyframes?

Engaged ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A general how to question, not project specific, and I'm not experiencing any issue at the moment.

As an example, in a recent project, I needed to put a string of hold keyframes on a layer (they were on a mask path, but really it could be anything). What I wondered is: if I know I need the first keyframe to occur at X timecode, and then I need the animation to be finished at Y timecode, is there a function that will mathematically/automatically distribute all my keyframes at even intervals between those two points? Is this maybe done better with an expression instead of keyframes? I found myself having to just eyeball the keyframes on the timeline and keep nudging them left.... no a little to the right... oops too far... until I finally fit them all in between the start and end point and they looked somewhat evenly spaced to my eyes. But I would love a way to 1) do this much faster and 2) more precise.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Expressions , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Drag all your keyframes together so they are precisely one frame apart. It's easy to do if you zoom into the timeline. Move the CTI (Current Time Indicator to where you want the last change to happen. That would be your Y time code. 

Now select all keyframes, hold down the Alt/Option key and drag the last one to the CTI. The keyframes will be evenly distributed between the first and last keyframes. 

When I know I am going to want to do this, start by setting the keyframes one frame apart or

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure there's soem script for that on AEScripts.com, so check it out.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I will!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes check out the scripts Rift, Sortie & Keysmith by Michael Delaney.  One of them will do what you want.  And you can pay whatever you'd like for them, there's no set price

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drag all your keyframes together so they are precisely one frame apart. It's easy to do if you zoom into the timeline. Move the CTI (Current Time Indicator to where you want the last change to happen. That would be your Y time code. 

Now select all keyframes, hold down the Alt/Option key and drag the last one to the CTI. The keyframes will be evenly distributed between the first and last keyframes. 

When I know I am going to want to do this, start by setting the keyframes one frame apart or 1 second apart, so I won't have to slide things around. As long as they are evenly distributed, when you start holding down the Alt/Option key and dragging the last keyframe will evenly distribute all keyframes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be worth checking out Rove Across Time as an option when you right-click on the keyframes.  

But the other option is to highlight all your keyframes and hold down the ALT key, then as you drag the last keyframe the others stretch out proportionally

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would also point to Rove Across Time:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines