• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Initializing GPU popup whenever there is an update for OS on Mac

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What on Earth is with the new "initializing GPU" process that keeps showing up whenever there is even a minor OS installation on my Mac? It sometimes takes ten minutes while the window slowly crawls to 100%, with a "Please stand by for playback." I could see waiting for this if After Effects was suddenly blazingly fast, but it seems to be the same old sluggish After Effects, just with a long wait to begin working. 

Title edited by Mod.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's simply tons of bugs and the reason why it takes so long is proably that the code tries to access 20000 times before giving up. if for whatever reason it doesn't work relaibly, turning off GPU functions may be advisable. Other than that many peopel simply have gone back to v 22.5 where apaprently things still work.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Woodhouse,

That's not ideal.

When do you get this message? Does it happen on a particular project or any project you work on? Which effects/third-party plug-ins are you using in the project? You can try resetting the preferences. Here's how: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-after...

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this every time in Premiere and AE when I clear my cache to start a new project. I have always cleared my cache ahead of new projects but with the latsest updates I get it every it everytime, never had it before and threre's been no amnds to the hardware. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's a new AI system that learns and adopt to the way you work with After effects. Just like MidJourney 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What on Earth is with the new "initializing GPU" process that keeps showing up whenever there is even a minor OS installation on my Mac? It sometimes takes ten minutes while the window slowly crawls to 100%, with a "Please stand by for playback." I could see waiting for this if After Effects was suddenly blazingly fast, but it seems to be the same old sluggish After Effects, just with a long wait to begin working. 

By @Woodhouse

What's happening in the background is that whenever there's an OS update, or a display driver update, and often when there's an application update for AE/PrPro, we need to compile the kernels for the system's rendering architecture (Metal, Cuda, OpenCL).  This *can* take seconds or minutes depending on the environmental variables, and on the nature of the project you're trying to open.  This need to compile the kernels isn't new, but the progress dialog is new.  We heard from a lot of users who didn't understand why their "first launch" experience was lacking certain rendering or playback functionality, so we put in a dialog to give the users some feedback about what was happening in the background.

This process is supposed to only happen on first launch after an update to the app, drivers, or OS.  It *is* possible to delete these compute caches and trigger the process all over again, but most users don't do that, because they're at 'hidden' locations.  I'd like to better understand what you're doing when you say you "[clear] your cache ahead of new projects."  Also, could you share your system configuration with me?  With internal testing, we often have a difficult time getting the dialog to appear on Mac, because the Metal compute kernels tend to compile very quickly.  Also, if you could tell me a little more about the complexity and size of projects you're opening when you are bothered by this dialog, I'd appreciate it.  I'd like to replicate your experience in house if possible.

Finally, the dialog should be dismissable.  You won't see the progress bar, and any functionality supplied by kernels not-yet-compiled will still be offline until the kernels compile, but you can otherwise interact with the product.  I hope this reply helps clarify what's happening. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This problem persists. I just upgraded to Sonoma 14.3.1 and AE 24.1. 

Everytime I open AE, I have to wait for it to initialize the GPU 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines