• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make picture bounce in sync with music

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2011 Oct 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Make-Stuff-Bounce-to-Music---Motion-3-162040947

I need a step-by-step instruction on how to do this with After Effects or any Adobe software that you might recommend.

I've been browsing around the net and can't find a clear answer. The keyframes thingy are too complicated for me so I need a simple solution like the one in the video. I am using Windows 7 so I can't buy the Apple software. Can After Effects do this or should I use Premiere Pro? I'm relatively new at video and audio editing. I want the picture to bounce in sync with the drum beat or cymbals like every 4 seconds or so. Not only that, I want to control the direction to where it bounces to - upper left, upper right, center, etc.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 06, 2011 Oct 06, 2011

If keyframes are too complex for you After Effects isn't your tool of choice. I've got 10 year old cub scouts that can use AE. I'd take the bull by the horns and dive into the basics by following this link. 

Once you have a little more confidence you can run through a tutorial, any tutorial, on using Audio Keyframes. The procedure is very easy. It goes something like this:

1. Put the audio in the timeline.
  2. Use Animate>Keyframe Assistant>Convert Audio to Keyframes to create a null named Audio Amplitud

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If keyframes are too complex for you After Effects isn't your tool of choice. I've got 10 year old cub scouts that can use AE. I'd take the bull by the horns and dive into the basics by following this link. 

Once you have a little more confidence you can run through a tutorial, any tutorial, on using Audio Keyframes. The procedure is very easy. It goes something like this:

1. Put the audio in the timeline.
  2. Use Animate>Keyframe Assistant>Convert Audio to Keyframes to create a null named Audio Amplitude and effects sliders named Left, Right and Both
  3. Put the image you want to control in the timeline and press S to reveal the scale property.
  4. Alt click or Option click on the stopwatch to begin an expression.
  5. Use the pickwhip to connect scale to the Both Channels slider.
  6. Open up the graph editor, select the Audio Amplitude Both Channels Slider property to reveal he range of the levels you want to use for your animation.
  7. Screen Shot 2011-10-06 at 6.31.17 AM.png
  8. In this case I want to use 25 to 60 so anything below 25 is 50% scale and anything above 40 is 100% scale
  9. Modify the expression created in step 5 to look like this:
  10. temp = thisComp.layer("Audio Amplitude").effect("Both Channels")("Slider");

s = ease(temp, 25, 40, 50, 100);

[s, s]

You're done.

Do a Google Search for Controlling a layer with audio in After Effects and you'll find dozens of tutorials.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about that. I'm not very familiar with the terminology and don't even know what a layer is. My video editting experience is very limited because I only used MovieMaker. Thanks for your instructive response and link to get me started. I'm sure to read the material you provided me. I really appreciate it. Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I've got 10 year old cub scouts that can use AE.<

I love your posts, Rick, but this is perhaps the funniest thing you have ever said in this forum.

bogiesan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I'm proud of everyone of my cubs in Pack 1849. The greatest test of my humility came when a 10 year old answered a post I placed on an xcode forum concerning an app that I'm working on for an iPhone. He suggested a video chat. I took it. In 10 minutes he solved my problem. The app is coming along nicely thanks to pubescent kids who post their IOS tutorials on YouTube.

Getting back to JChrisG's problem, If you don't know what a layer is you must learn. It's not that hard to get enough of a handle on the technology to start making animations. Start HERE.

Cubmaster Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am trying to achieve something similar but the coding part still seems a bit alien to me. I have tried to mimic what you did and wrote the expression exactly as you did but After Effects says This project contains an expression error. I am at this point confused. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Before modifying the expression everything works but is of course behaving way too extremely for my taste.

Felix Remy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2016 Feb 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What is the full text of the expression error message? Could you show us some screenshots of your expression and the relevant layer effects it is pointing to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines