• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mask background turns black in After Effects – Help!

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2016 Jul 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically i wanted to Mask myself using the Pen Tool so i can do some effects on me, I started to connect the points and when i'm done suddenly all the background changes to Black !

could you please help me !

Capture.PNG

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 25, 2016 Jul 25, 2016

the mask is changing but you don't see the result because the Render is turned OFF. if you want to see the result you need to tick the Render option

now you will see the layer cut on black (which is your background color)

another way to work with masks is to choose one of these modes

this will show you the result on top of the layer itself, or a transparent background, or the composition background color

if you want to see THE RESULT COMPOSITE , you need to click on the composition window

now you wi

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Ezzo this is how masking works in Ae. you closed the masks so now it's in "Add" mode, meaning it's doing what it's set to do - cut the image.  if you want to edit the mask without seeing the final result you can do this it 2 ways:

1. set the mask to "None"

2. better - click twice on your footage and in the Layer view you can toggle "Render" off and work on your masks with seeing all the footage.

BTW I am looking at your masks and it does not look promising there's a lot more to Rotoscoping (cutting masks out of a live video) then just moving the vertices of  the masks, make sure you read through the first part about Rotoscoping here:

Managing and animating shape paths and masks in After Effects

here's a quickstart tutorial:

After Effects CC tutorial: Rotoscoping with paths | lynda.com - YouTube

you might consider using Rotobrush for cutting an image.

try reading here here

Roto Brush and Refine Matte in After Effects

quick start tutorial:

Adobe After Effects CS5- Rotoscope with Rotobrush - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Roei thanks for the reply

first of all the cutting is not important how accurate it is, because what i'm trying to do is Ink Smoke disappear

and i did the second way you gave me which is to double click on my layer and toggle off Render and i got rid of the black background

but the problem now is when i change the values of the Mask it doesn't make any change !!          

i'll show you 2 pictures

the first one is mine and the second one is from a guy that i'm trying to follow his tutorial

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the mask is changing but you don't see the result because the Render is turned OFF. if you want to see the result you need to tick the Render option

now you will see the layer cut on black (which is your background color)

another way to work with masks is to choose one of these modes

this will show you the result on top of the layer itself, or a transparent background, or the composition background color

if you want to see THE RESULT COMPOSITE , you need to click on the composition window

now you will see the layer cut on top of your background

another way to explain:

the Layer window - this is where you can edit your mask and use different ways to see it - but not in the context of your composition. it is a place where you can work on your layer in the context of itself. you can choose to "Render" (tick the "Render") the mask or any effect or not (untick the "Render"). but this is just the layer. it's not your Composition. you can only see the layer cut on itself, on black, on transparent, on red, and a luma matte. that's it.

if you want to see the layer you cut in the context of your composition, you need to get back to your composition window here:

a good practice would be to set BOTH windows side by side and get the best out of both worlds - cut the mask in one window, see the result on top of the background plate in the other.

or like I wrote before, you can choose the other, less complicated, but more limited way of working - in the composition window you set your mask to NONE, do the work and when you are done, set it back to ADD.

see if you get it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I read was ADD...just playin' lol  

I know alotta people keep running into this.

Nice to know there is a userguide 

Imma see what I can figure out..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have spent the last 20 minutes searching for Waldo...I mean the Render box. Would there be an option to make it appear?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well i also have that problem i have the render off, i tried putting none, mask, rothobrush and it jut keep black the new background that I want to use is on composition and the layer appears also in composition.. But black

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds to me like you are poking around in the UI without any understanding of how AE works. Please start your training here: User Guide.

Nothing in the workflow you describe sounds efficient. I looked for the tutorial you were following and it is typical of a tutorial prepared by an enthusiast with good intentions and a pretty shakey workflow. I give ti a D. The nearly 400 thousand views do not mean this is a good workflow. Every problem you are having is directly related to the poor explanation and inefficient workflow in the tutorial. If you had a good handle on the basics in the User Guide you would be able to work through the problems in the tutorial. You've got to vet your trainers. Most enthusiasts that post AE tutorials don't really know how to teach or what they are doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you know he hasn't gone through the training and can't find the answer!?  I have.

It seems the solution might be something you already posted here - https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/rgb-alpha-not-working/m-p/10791896#M99136

Not everyone wants to spend days learning the basics first, I used AE years ago and now want to do something more advanced and came across the same issue, I'm sure it's a simple resolution, but I'm certainly not going to waste hours / days learning the basics.  I have neither the time or tenacity!  It might be I need to pay someone on Fiverr to do it for me, but as it's I'm sure simple (export to Premier Pro) I'm going to try that first.

I have managed to create (attached video) following a tutorial (linked at the bottom), AE I haven't worked as much as other Adobe software, but this particular issue "Black background keep rendering in my comp"...stumped me so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reSXGxkyr0k&t=301s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems the ANSWER might be to render the sequence as a PNG Sequence.  I'm assuming this means that this works best on small or mini files say for SLOBS or OBS or Twitch etc.... 🙂 

https://youtu.be/y1xP9NOS7hw?t=1740

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines