• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nvidia CUDA driver update fixes crashes for After Effects and other applications

Mar 03, 2014 Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are seeing reports that the CUDA 5.5.47 driver update released today addresses the crashing problems introduced by the CUDA 5.5.43 driver update.

So, if you have an Nvidia GPU, please update your drivers to use the most recent version of the CUDA driver.

On Mac OS, you can update your version of the CUDA driver from the CUDA panel, available from the Mac OS System Preferences. For CUDA downloads, see the Nvidia website.

Also, make sure that you have installed the most recent updates for your Adobe video applications.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 03, 2014 Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to 5.5.47 and so far so good.  I am still running CS6, Mac Pro Mid 2010 NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800, FYI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2014 Mar 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually had a very negative thing happen to me when I updated CUDA to 5.5.47, it broke my computer! Here's what happened and how you might put a band-aid on it for the time being....

Specs:

MacPro (Mid 2010)

Mavericks 10.9.2

ATI Radieon HD 5770 1024 MB

1) I went to System Preferences > CUDA > Update and ran the updated for 5.5.47

2) After the update was successful, I launched Adobe Prelude CC and it crashed immediately. Then I launched Adobe Premiere CC, crashed on startup.

3) I restarted my computer

4) Tried launching Adobe Prelude CC again, crashed.

5) Restarted my computer in Single User Mode, Ran a File System Check, shows that the Mac HD Appeared to Be "Okay"

6) Rebooted and went to System Preferences > CUDA, it shows that I had 5.5.47 but that a UPDATE WAS REQUIRED, the problem was that it didn't have an update button

7) I went to the CUDA update website and found the 5.5.47 update for Mac, ran it and it appeared to install successfully, but the applications still crashed and the preference pane for CUDA still showed that an update was required.

8) I called Apple, they suggested re-installing Mavericks, so I did. Still the apps crashed and CUDA showed 5.5.47 with an update still being required

9) I searched for CUDA and found that it was in HD > Library > Frameworks

10) I moved the CUDA Framework file to my Desktop to make a copy and to remove it from the Frameworks folder

11) Launched Adobe Prelude CC and Adobe Premiere CC and they worked fine.

I know CUDA does some wonderful things when it works, so if anyone has any suggestions on how to re-install and it get it working again, please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually had a very negative thing happen to me when I updated CUDA to 5.5.47, it broke my computer! Here's what happened and how you might put a band-aid on it for the time being....

Specs:

MacPro (Mid 2010)

Mavericks 10.9.2

ATI Radieon HD 5770 1024 MB

Why are you installing CUDA on an ATI card?

Do not do that.

CUDA is only for Nvidia cards. You will cause serious problems by installing software for an Nvidia card when you have an ATI card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm an idiot! In January I migrated my Mac Pro from my iMac (running a Nvidia card) it brought CUDA over to the new system preferences. That would explain the issue I had today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2014 Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into a similar issue with my MacBook Pro (AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB) and Mac Mini (Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB) where I have upgraded both the 10.9.2 and upon doing so I was presented upon restart form some reason with the panel requesting I update the CUDA Drivers. NOt thinking, I updated the CUDA drivers on both to the latest version (5.5.47) and after a shutdown and restart of both I could not open any of the CC video programs I use daily (Premeire Pro, Encore, AME). After searching around I discovered how to remove the CUDA framework and all are working again. Strangely it does feel like Compressor is running slower/less efficiently.

Message was edited by: Spegis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2014 Apr 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember to turn the Renderer from Ray-traced to Classic 3D. That will speed up the render if that is what you are having issues with.

Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 11.54.05 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2014 Apr 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same problem as what I am hearing. I have a Intel HD Graphics 4000 and I wasn't thinking, downloaded the CUDA driver and AE wouldn't work. I then deleted all the files that the CUDA driver downloaded, then I was able to open AE again. phew! I then rendered some 3d layers and noticed it was going really really slow, so I had to switch the Renderer from Ray-traced 3D to Classic 3D and that solved the promblem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd,

Agreed on the no CUDA on ATI cards bit.

Funny thing, I have a 6,1 MacPro with two D700s and it seems as though CUDA has been installed on my system, even though I haven't actually downloaded the CUDA driver and installed it.

I feels like the CUDA preference pane popped up around the same time as my installation of Adobe CC.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if it was installed with a recent CC update or if it was in the 10.9.1 or 10.9.2 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still on 10.9.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Adobe application installs CUDA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Had the same problem. I'm using and IMac 27" Late 2011 3.4Ghz Core i7, 16gb ram, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB.

So i had the crash problem, clean up all the CUDA stuf but now things seems slowly. I read that CUDA doesnt work on and my graphic, but now AE CC preview its strange. Its seems to loose some frames. I working on a 30fps projects but the preview is running like 12fps. What should i do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2014 Mar 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated and still have this problem. AE crashes on startup.

After Effects Alert

Last log message was: <140735126364944> <DynamicLink> <5> /Applications/Adobe After Effects CC/Adobe After Effects CC.app/Contents/dynamiclinkmanager.app

My machine details:

MacPro4,1

NVIDIA GeForce Mac GTX 680 2048 MB

OSX 10.9.2

After Effects v12.2.1

NVIDIA Web Driver 331.01.01f02

CUDA Driver Version 5.5.47

GPU Driver Version 8.24.9 310.40.25f01

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nevermind. My issue had to due with my Matrox MXO2. I found the clue to my problem here.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5863018#5863018

I started out with the CUDA driver problem, then once that was updated. I had the Matrox issue. I thought it was still the same problem. Once I uninstalled the Matrox driver. I was able to start AE. Then I re-installed the Matrox driver and I'm back to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 20, 2014 Mar 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated everything, but still having render crash. 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE NEED HELP working with a deadline at the end of this week !

I'm on osx 10.8.5

2x2.4Ghz Quad Core intel xeon

24Gb Ram

Nvidia Geforce GTX 680 2Gb Mac edition

BTW is not just the GTX 680  i tried to render this project in my macbook (using cuda) and same thing happen 

Macbook: osx10.9.2 / 2.3GHZ i7 / 16Gbram / irisPro+Nvidia GT 750M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines