• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shatter not showing footage.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im trying to apply a shatter effect to a video. Its making the glass appear black. I followed a bunch of tutorials and nothing. My render is set to classic.

Help 😕

wtf1.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Shatter works from the in point of a layer, because your footage layer has been trimmed at the beginning, the shatter will have taken place before the start of your comp.

To fix this the easiest thing to do is top recompose the C0019.mp4 clip before adding Shatter.

However, since you've already applied it simply select the layer and go to Layer > Precompose and then Choose the option to leave all attributes in the current comp. This should Precompose the footage but keep the effect in the current comp.

now that the layer's in point is at the start of the comp, the shatter effects should begin there. Please let me know if this works. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2017 Sep 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

theangietaylor​

I understand what you are saying! Yes, Its being imported via premiere and the clip is a segment somewhere within the clip. So your saying the effect is somewhere else in the footage. NOT clip taken /made in premiere.

I precomposed prior to taking this screenshot or apply the shatter effect. Still not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far I see one work around, which is exporting(rendering) that clip out of the project, and importing that clip into after effects, applying shatter, then reimport that comp into premiere. I know this will work, but I wish I can figure out shattering that section without going thru these extra steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you don't need to do that. Try this, select the Shatter effect and go to Edit > Cut to remove it. Then select the layer that you want to shatter. Go to Layer > Precompose. This time choose to Move all Attributes into the New Composition and then click OK. Now select the comp that will have replaced the layer in your timeline and go to Edit > Paste to paste the shatter effects back on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I had just woken up when I typed the original answer, you should select "Move All attributes to new Composition" when you Precompose. But you need to remove the Shatter effect before doing so. Then re-apply the Shatter effect to the precomposed comp that replaces the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said, the Shatter effect works from the original In point of the source layer. So if you have trimmed footage you need to Precompose it before applying shatter. That way the true in point will be at the beginning of the comp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shatter is a physical simulation that uses a force property to start the effect. By default the force is set to fill most of the screen and there are no keyframes. Look at the ECP (Effects Control Panel) and find Force 1. Change the radius to zero or move the force back out of the layer plane and no simulation of a shatter will happen.  Move the CTI (current time indicator) to the point in your animation where you want the shatter simulation to start and set a keyframe for force radius or position, then move down the timeline a few frames and set the force radius or position so you get the effect you want.

This is the most basic principal of all animated effects. It applies to all effects that have a value greater than zero on any of their controls. Think particle systems, warping effects, distortion effects. Most of them are show you a change in your layer default, if you want to make it happen later you have to change some settings and set some keyframes.

There are a million ways to animate shatter from using gradient maps to setting the force radius to something very small pasting the path of a shape layer to the position property of Force 1 (think Zorro). There is no need to Pre-compose or do any other work arounds, just animate the properties that make the effect work. I'm not sure why it's so hard for new users to figure out that they need to look for things to animate when they use Shatter.

Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 9.54.32 AM.png

About 1 minutes work using a shape layer for the source of the and the motion path for Force 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

The user was was asking why they couldn't see any shatter at the beginning of the comp. my aim was to explain why they couldn't see it and provide an easy solution for somebody who has not been using the application for long. Yes, ideally, anyone who has been using AE for as long as you or I would be comfortable animating individual

properties of Effects. However some people just need a quick and easy solution. There's no shame in being in a position of a beginner, being unsure and making mistakes. we've all been through it - that's how we learned 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DarkBlades,

Sorry for this issue. Did you ever find a solution? Please let us know if you have or if you still need help.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for not responding, But I tried it now on a different project, precomposing first and its working .   Ill report back if I get anything different. Thanks again guys. Sorry for the late responses

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No problem, glad preconposing helped for you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines