Exit

Tangent Wave Ripple color grading in AE CC 2020

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Just bought a tangent ripple from tangent wave,

Taught it is amazing in premiere and works as a charm but my color grading process usually happens in AE CC2020

Is there a moment when after effects will support Lumetri color with integration to After Effects? So it could work with the actual tangent ripple ?

And/or ? an Adobe After effects pro import back to Pr

And/or ? a dynamic link that would work like an EDL back to premiere and automatically cut the clips so they can be color graded in Pr?

Looking for a workaround..... found about Davinci Resolve 16 wich seems a lot more integrated.

Thanks in advance for developping this feature

//Am I just not knowing a basic feature somewhere ?

TOPICS
Dynamic link , Import and export , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonathan,

Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm sure you and I aren't the only ones wondering this. When I searched for to see if there is a way to do this, your post is the first that pops up in my Google search. I usually do my color grading in Premiere Pro, but once in a while I used After Effects.

You might already know this, but After Effects has the same Lumetri Color effects as Premiere (minus the Auto Match and a few other small things). Like you, I want to use my Tangent Ripple, and so a workaround that I occasionally do it to color grade in Premiere Pro, and then do the "Replace with After Effects Compotion" option that will open the clip up in After Effects. The Lumetri Color effect(s) will travel with the clip over to After Effects and be read naitively.

That's my workaround; however, it would be nice if there was an After Effects plug-in that supported the Tangent Ripple. I'm going to keep searching to see such a thing exists. Or, if it doesn't, you or I should file a feature request to have this added. I'm sure there's other users out there that have thought the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Brandon,

I know it's the same Lumetri Color filter in both apps.  It is just that my workflow is the other way around

I go for story in premiere, then import everything in AE (The whole sequence) and then i work on every single shots in there.  This is then when I do usually the color grading with the mouse in AE.  Export it back to AE in uncompressed best quality AVI, attach it back to the sound and compress via Adobe Media Encoder. 

Also, TangentWave told me they were not working on the AE plugin mostly because Adobe did not offer great support so they are working in premiere and offered me to be beta tester for Lightroom to wich I said yes but have not started yet because I know the competition offers a better panel for Lightroom. 

Yes, for your following comment, this is my user request.

All I need is a plugin or integration of 'Control Surface' in AE preferences.  Therefore what I understand from this is: Adobe needs to put efforts first in this before TangentWave can implement easily their physical tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood. I do a similar thing as far as getting the story edited first in Premiere. Sounds like we're stuck for a while until this feature request gains more attention. At least the Lumtri Color effect can transfer one way via dynamic link, which I realize still isn't ideal since most of us color grade last, which in many cases is After Effects. Your Uservoice feature request has my vote, by the way.

Thanks for sharing your communication with Tanget, also. That's good to know their position and willingness to make this happen. Would love to see this feature added in a futre version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jonathan , so I work pretty strictly in AE as well and while there's no official After Effects port right now for this thing, I just managed to get it working using the Tangent Mapper App that comes with it. 

Open up AE and make sure Tangent Mapper registers it as a new program. 

Then head over to the Element-TK tab on the right and start mapping your knobs and buttons.

For me the most logical way to do this which I just tested and is super smooth is to map your A and B buttons as Shift-Tab and Tab, respectively.

Then I mapped my knob at the top (any one, i chose left, I'll explain why) to the Up and Down Arrows, and i said repeat Twice, just because it seems like a more comfortable adjustment up and down.

So when Lumetri's open in the effects panel just click in that first field for Temperature where you'd type in a value and you're off and running using the knob (or trackball, i found that clunky) and A B buttons.

I also then added an X mouse function to my middle knob, and a Y mouse function to my right knob so i can click and hold on my mouse a point for a curve, then dial it in in with X and Y movement on those knobs. Works pretty slick, might start trying this out here with Photoshop and whatnot too. I hope that's helpful, going to be my new workflow in AE for sure

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Nick,

Is there any way you would share your mapping file with me? I've been trying to get AE to work with this thing (Tangent Wave 2) for almost two years now. I just followed what you said and I have begun to get it working but its taking forever. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines