• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adopting the powers of node-based programs by tweaking the set matte effect.

LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inspired by Node-based workflows. We often want to combine different mattes into one layer without the need of pre-comping—and then even use the same matte for multiple layers.

If we improve the already existing "Set Matte" Effect with the functions of the "Track Matte", we may be on a better path!

Here is a video of how that could work: https://vimeo.com/138156034

1. Add a "Track Matte" switch to set matte:

This could make the "Transform Properties" of the set matte behave the same as how "Track Mattes" do. (this is possible already by sandwiching the set matte effect between two transform effects)

2. Multiple "Set Matte" Effects on one Layer
"Add" and "Subtract" Mattes from each other. Similar to how masks work.

More info: http://www.sandervandijk.tv/after-effects-features/mattes
Idea No status
TOPICS
Compositing and VFX

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
13 Comments
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something like this would be very useful, as I end up with so many instances of the same track matt in my comp, when all I'm really wanting is to be able to point to one matt source- which I'd assume would render faster, and would certainly be easier to roll out modifications revisions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the set matte could be improved no doubt, but to make it work for non-vector layers there is a workaround that is quite easily implemented. simply continously rasterize/precomp->leave attributes-->collapse the layer and the reverse render order will kick in and it will work exactly the same as Ae's vector layers. here's a tutorial demonstrating how to work with set matte for all types of layers: https://vimeo.com/274047695

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roei, thank you very much for your AE Blues tutorial on the set matte effect. Great work! I wished it would not need such wizardry to get the effect working the way it should ; )

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agreed! set matte is not working on 3D layers! you'd have to comp them first with the camera in the comp so they'll become 2D, then use set matte, therefore I have to stick to old school duplicating mattes and layers which is not the best efficient way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is genius

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I 100% agree with the suggestions here, but for anyone who needs to stack mattes in the meantime, I actually have found a workaround. It only works with shape layers, text layers, and layers that are the same size as the comp. It does work with effects applied to the layers. And it works best with alpha mattes, but if you have a luma matte, make that the first matte. I haven't found a limit to how many layers you can use, but if you have a lot of layers, you're probably still best off precomping.

1. Create a solid (must be the same size as the comp).
2. Add your "Set Matte" effect and set it up as you need it.
3. Add the "Calculations" effect. It's under the "Channel" group if you can't find it.
4. Leave the input as "RGBA" and the invert input unchecked.
5. Choose your second layer and choose between Source, Masks, and Effects & Masks (if you only have masks, you need to choose Masks, not Effects & Masks).
6. Set the second layer opacity to 100%.
7. Uncheck "Preserve Transparency."
8. Set your blending mode:
-"Alpha Add" will combine both alphas.
-"Stencil Alpha" will give you the overlap of the alphas.
-"Silhouette Alpha" will subtract the 2nd alpha from the first.
9. Use more iterations of the "Calculation" effect to combine more mattes until you're done.

That's it. You can now use this one layer to drive the "Set Matte" effect on multiple layers.

FYI - The "Calculations" effect does carry over color, so if that's distracting, use a "Fill" at the end to make it all one color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of the critical improvements suggested on this forum aren't "sexy" when it comes to the marketing dept. This suggestion (if properly implemented, however) would bring the H Y P E.

Does the AE team realize the amount of man-hours wasted per year working around this issue? I mean... this could be the sole change for a fully numbered update and people would still rejoice.
Imagine:

"Introducing After Effects 2021!
New features:
- Mattes are predictable and easy to use now
- Camera Raw supp-blah blah blah

The End."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's so disheartening to see the best ideas are several years old and Adobe hasn't addressed them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just stopping by to say its 2021, and AE 2022 was just released. This feature is still not implemented 😞 I could cry. But alas, my tears have run dry from 4 years of weeping. So much for improvements that actually matter. Here's to the next 4 more years. Maybe that's enough time for AE to implement this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should be a constant initiative to be adopting Sanders ideas from this now 7 year old video. 😞

http://www.sandervandijk.tv/after-effects-features/mattes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Taylor, I hadn't seen that before. Definitely some great suggestions in there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Set Matte effect would be even more useful when it came with a switch to not scale the matte, but just keeps it as it is, independent of the scale and position of the layers it is applied to.
In that way it is a nice way to avoid clutter and work in a node-like way. Only one matte can be used on manny layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I hope that the recent update https://helpx.adobe.com/be_en/after-effects/using/whats-new/2023.html#selectable-track-matte-layer is a step towards this workflow...

Votes

Translate

Translate