• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RTL support (right to left languages) is not completed, Hebrew (and possibly other MENA) issues

LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Edit: issues were fixed in Ae 2023 and work fine. Thanks!

Here are the issues ranked from the most severe to an inconvenience:

1. Range selector animation does not work properly for Hebrew Text:
the animation is reversed, for one line you could hack it with setting animation to "start" instead of "end" and reversing the keyframes. with 2 lines you are doomed.

https://imgur.com/a/zvqwD4z

2. Highlighting/Selecting Text problems:
this happens when you have combined text of Hebrew and English or Hebrew and numbers in the same layer or Hebrew with another Hebrew that has a change in size or weight. the situation get's worse when you move the layer, the selected area of the text is changing making it hard to select anything outside the Hebrew letters

Highlighting issues:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-vZuy2v6nK_ScuAm_I3WlI14951E3Qji/view?usp=drivesdk

Moving the text makes it worse:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YnDJQ5DeV1EGwiHHJIraeJf7tC-tExzU/view?usp=drivesdk

3. Wrong translation for "Sample" in the Font Preview:
the preview for Hebrew fonts is written "לטעום" which is a bad attempt to write something like "Sample" but in hebrew it means "to Sample" aka to taste something. it should be "דוגמה" which is "Sample" or "Example"
https://imgur.com/a/e492vUC

4. Adobe Clean looks bad for Hebrew:
the letters stick to the top when on layers, and are pretty ugly in general 😞
https://imgur.com/a/jIHmZFq

General Feedback: I really thing the MENA implementation in Ae should be seamless same as Ps and Ai. you should not have to choose between engines. many times you are combining both and I hope it's a temporary phase until the MENA engine will be stable. the current setup is not that bad because you can combine in the same project both of the engines, but have to change each time. restarting the software is not required which is a good thing. this way I could use MENA engine for things that work and not use it when things that do not work. hopefully in the end it will work for everything so I won't need to select it and simply enjoy typing freely in both languages.

Thanks!

Idea Released
TOPICS
Workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Marking this as released -- as of AE 22.5, RTL languages are supported by the AE text engine.

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
25 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

more bugs:
Arabic text with more then one line proves causes text selection/highlighting issues:
1. create a MENA text layer
2. move it
3. try to select the first line

and also any MENA text has issue with coloring different words or letters in the same text layer.
1. create a MENA text
2. highlight some of it and change the color from the character panel

recording: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14yP8TcseIp4jCz79WuGYaOMFXhLpLadQ/view?usp=drivesdk

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same issue ... on macOS 10.11.6, Ae 15.1.2

Extremely frustrating.

See https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FM5-V5ZH_svlvqRUYhqWr-5EPWBNRAwd/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#3 is fixed in 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix the Hebrew supporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we suffer for too long! come on adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I add my voice (also) here as well.
If there's a need, I'll be glad to show you guys what's not working in a private session

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding my vote and hope to fix RTL issues! It's about time for direction equality! Thanks Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fix it I'm a paying Customer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC 2020 and still RTL languages bug with combining numbers or english letters,
Why add a feature if you can't support & fix it??

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found a work around for animating text in Hebrew? When I export with Lottie Bodymovin my text ends up flipped (letters are backwards!), right alignment is ignored and the entire text block is moved to the left considerably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to translate my English text which is already animated into Hebrew and I switched on the option of RTL (middle eastern Lang) in AE CC but I am still facing issues. When I copy paste the Hebrew text on already animated text it flips but when I create a new text layer and copy paste it then it comes out proper. I don't understand why is it happening and I have multiple layers and reanimating the layers is painstaking. If anyone has a solution regarding this please help. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corona times just made me understand & learn that there are other software I can use instead of adobe. Most of them are more modernized & reliable.
A bug known to adobe for already 3 years & no one responds.
This is my last year with creative cloud, I'm not gonna renew my subsciption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A MAJOR issue for me too. I'm just starting with AE, the combination of RTL and this convoluted interface is a night mare for a beginner!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when animating Arabic text (or any RTL) the range selector works from LTR, if I reverse the animation it works for single line text, but with multiple lines the animation works from bottom to top

This should be resolved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides those bugs all justify options in the paragraph panel (justify last left, justify last right...) don't work properly with Arabic text, any option of those will hide one or more lines from the end of the text arbitrary,
My workaround is to add more lines that I don't need until all the lines of my original text reappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As many more said, text animator works left to right regardless of the type engine selected. What is worse is that if you want to add any expression to range selector, the expression counts the characters in the correct manner. So the expression counts from right and the range animator counts from left. It's ok for a one-line text, you can split("").reverse().join(""), but it's impossible for multiple line text to find out what index a word has so you can add the animator only to that word. As an easy test, create a fill color text animator. Select a color. Add this as expression selector:

txt = text.sourceText.split("");
if(txt[textIndex-1] == "ط") 100
else 0

This should highlight all the ط characters. It does nothing even close to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please fix this problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help us use your product better and fix it

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, please note that the december 2021 update (version 22.1.1) with the new Universal Text engine DID NOT FIX the text animators issue, so text animators still work left to right, with right to left text. and what's worse is that in the new update - there's no way around that anymore (no latin text hack to write left to right with animators left to right)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

22.1.1 Update... Absolutely Ridiculous..
After a couple of years of not fixing the RTL problems you got us an update which "surprisingly" made things worse...
Why do you have a beta program if your not letting us check those features?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe you left the entire RTL users no option - now that the Latin text hack is canceled - RTL users will be forced to stay in previous versions without the ability to upgrade until you fix this.
this is ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix it, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I have a solution for RTL Text Animation now deployed in Beta 22.3.0 (89).

Here is the forum writeup: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-beta-discussions/feature-focus-text-animator-support-fo...

It would be most helpful to me and the team to ensure we get it right for those experienced in RTL workflows to try it out and help us understand what I missed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Developers mock users. Here is a clear example of a monopoly in the market. Adobe, when will you start working instead of pretending to work? Hundreds of problems that need to be solved for many years, but you just make it worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Marking this as released -- as of AE 22.5, RTL languages are supported by the AE text engine.

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate