• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update the Add Grain effect to use GPU and 32-bit

Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to apply grain frequently in my work to clean plates I’ve created, and it needs to match the 6k/4k HDR plates I’ve been provided. I prefer Add Grain to Match Grain, as it’s quicker and more accurate for me to manually set it. Because of the size of the plates, and the lack of GPU acceleration in this plug-in, it’s the main bottleneck in my rendering speed, plus 32-bit would help with color fidelity. Obviously, multiframe rendering would be great, too, but I would at least love GPU acceleration to start!
Idea No status
TOPICS
Compositing and VFX

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
34 Comments
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, paying $31/month for BorisFX Sapphire solely for accurate grain doesn't make sense for me, and no one shold have to do that, either. I have no use for anything else in that package. I'm really hoping someday they just correct what is built-in to After Effects. It's already there, it just needs to be updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with previous posts.

Sapphire is an excellent plugin package. I have used it for years when I was working with the big machines. But I will never ever pay for another subscription model if I can.

I do not believe After Effects cannot be made fully 32-bit compatible. Adobe being a multi-billion company should have the people and resources to make it happen.

Paying a lot of money for an Adobe subscription, I rather expect working basic tools than new shiny gimmicks.

Hear us Adobe, please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 32-bit add grain functionality is a must-have for me in literally every ACES project nowdays so I posted this info for anyone just looking for a solution to the problem even if it comes at an additional cost. In the previous version of Sapphires the add grain plugin was 8-bit only. 
I totally agree, though, that the software I am paying for should have by now full 32-bit functionality included in the package.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BUMP. 

I literally can't believe this hasn't been addressed yet. I mean I can but it's still disappointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a quick look at AE Beta 24.3.0. I heard some CC plugins have been updated. What if...?

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 20.18.57.JPG

Nope. Not yet ☹️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a certain number of upvotes that need to happen before Adobe looks into these kinds of things? I was really hoping with the number of releases since I first posted this, plus they seem to be pushing for industry standard color spaces, etc, this would be something they would want to address. In my opinion, this is the best add grain plugin as far as functionality goes, but it is still 16-bit, and not mult-render compatible or GPU accelerated. Even just 32-bit would help as a stop-gap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently full 3D functionality is easier to code than the port of one plugin to 32-bit 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's absolutely maddening. Right now, the solution I use is to convert the colour space to Log (using the color profile converter), apply grain, then reverse the colour conversion. But this is a pretty shonky way to work and if your HDR values are high enough you do lose some fidelity.  C'mon Adobe -  this is basic stuff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

WE STILL NEED THIS! 

Votes

Translate

Translate