• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update the way AE handles alphabetizing in the Project Window

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently there is an unexpected behavior with how AE alphabetizes items in the project window. The addition of a character after numbers changes the order in a way that makes organization and renaming a challenge and sometimes a complete pain.
Example:
04-
Above the dash will bring the 04- to the top. I'm told this is because numbers at the end are counted as numerals, but as soon as you add a non-number character after a number that number because a regular character. This seems to mean context plays a part in a character's value.

I would like to see all characters assigned an alphanumeric value that doesn't change based on context.
Idea Released
TOPICS
UI and UX

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Hi all,

While we're a bit late in updating this thread, the updated sorting/alphabetizing of project items was released with AE 23.4 in May 2023.

For anyone who has been using underscores to keep items at the top of the sorting order, these now sort after any numeric characters. There is a short thread and script here for easily updating existing projects with different prefix characters for keeping items at the top of the sorting order.

Thanks again for your feedback and requests,

- John, A

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
11 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than "unexpected", I think the problem here is that After Effects is using sorting rules that aren't obvious. There ARE rules, they just don't conform to your expectations. 😉

I'd like to add to this suggestion (which is good, and I did vote for it) that perhaps instead of just changing the universal sorting rules to be different, that After Effects gives you some sort of control over the sorting rules.

For example, you could choose whether or not that hyphen on the end of "04-" causes a different sorting order. The option could be called something like "names that end in numerals sort separately" or something like that. And then we can argue over whether it should be enabled by default. 😛

Regardless, hopefully that clarifies that the sorting rules that After Effects uses were intentional and put there for a reason a long time ago, so if we're going to reassess those rules we should do so in a way that doesn't look archaic in another 20 years, and maybe also gives you some flexibility.

(As you think about this, I encourage you to look at how other apps with sorted lists do this. macOS Finder, Windows Explorer, Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro X, etc. etc. What do you like about those solutions? What would you like to bring to After Effects?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please make same as windows which I think is the same as finder or any other sorting I am familiar with (like googledrive/dropbox) Or at least add an option to have it like that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually what I'd love is a way to have "custom" sorting, like if the items were layers, with a simple drag and drop. Maybe this could be optionnal, on a per project basis.

This way, one could easily sort the items, keep them of top if you want, no matter how you name it.
Maybe this could also enale new stuff in expressions: we could reference a specific item given its index in the stack instead of its name, like always referencing the first one or the last one, but being able to change them easily, or do stuff depending on the order if the items and automate things with scripting, like quickly setting up a render queue taking items in a specific order, all of this with an easier way of sorting, like drag and drop, than renaming items with numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Custom sorting would be super handy. Then I can stop putting underscores in front of main comps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tim Kurkoski "That's not a bug, that's a FEATURE!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish AE ordered comps more like Premiere does- if I name a comp ALT for example, AE sticks the comp at the bottom of the stack, while Premiere "properly" keeps the ALT next to its sibling.

Here are screenshots from both AE and Premiere to illustrate my gripe. Thank you!

AE.jpg

PREMIERE.jpg

  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all for this feature request! This would definitely be a welcome improvement to the Project panel.

Cheers,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Under review

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Starting with the After Effects (Beta) 23.4.0.18 release, items in the Project panel are now sorted in a more predictable alphanumeric order.

More details are available in the Beta forums: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-beta-discussions/feeback-requested-project-panel-sort-o.... Your feedback is highly appreciated!

Cheers,

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's awesome to hear! A great little QOL improvement 👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

While we're a bit late in updating this thread, the updated sorting/alphabetizing of project items was released with AE 23.4 in May 2023.

For anyone who has been using underscores to keep items at the top of the sorting order, these now sort after any numeric characters. There is a short thread and script here for easily updating existing projects with different prefix characters for keeping items at the top of the sorting order.

Thanks again for your feedback and requests,

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate