• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Air for Android performance very poor on Galaxy Tab 3, 10.1

Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2013 Oct 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have an air for mobile app in the iOS app store, and we are currently working on the Android side and have been running into some performance issues. By far the worst and most surprising issue is the performance of our app on the Galaxy Tab 3, 10.1 tablet. I also have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 first generation, and it performs significantly better than the 3 with our app, some sequences take twice as long to render on the 3 than the 1. This is the exact same APK installed on both. This APK was built with Air 3.9 beta, but I also made a build with 3.8 with the same performance results.

We are using GPU mode, which performs better than either direct or CPU.

The same results were observed with both debug and non-debug builds.

Has anyone else noticed this kind of thing with the GT3? Is it possible that this could be improved on the Air side somehow? Any suggestions for something to disable in the OS of the GT3 that might help? I know Samsung has layered on their custom skin on the Android 4.2.2 os that is on the tablet

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions regarding this issue.

Regards,

Hudson Ansley

TOPICS
Air beta

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2013 Oct 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hudson,

I've noticed that (contorary to other devices) CPU renderning mode seems to perform best here.

Have you tried this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2013 Oct 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the reply. Yes, CPU mode is even worse for our app on this device. GPU mode is the best, but as I indecated, suprisingly poor in comparison to the first generation device

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 16, 2013 Oct 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the Adobe AIR runtime executes so slow on the Galaxy Tab 3. We have found it to be many times slower than other Android devices such as HTC 4-core, and Galaxy S phone.

At first I thought that the video buffering was not working properly in AIR 3.9 on the Galaxy Tab 3, but now we have determined that AIR just runs so slow that the video gets so far out of sync.

Look at my bug report here, and vote on it to try to help Adobe see that they need to look at the Galaxy Tab 3.

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3648268

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2013 Oct 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason is because Galaxy Tab 3 is not ARM based

but it's based on Intel Atom Z2560 SOC, which is x86.

This makes all AIR apps run on sort of emulation mode.

(AIR only supports ARM-core.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 29, 2013 Oct 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we can also confirm that we're getting the same exact behavior on Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. Tab 2 works much better, and iPad is blazing fast. So now that we have a pretty good idea of what the issue is, what are our options? Did anyone hear from Adobe about what their opinion is? Is better support for x86 anywhere on the roadmap?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 03, 2013 Dec 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I can't get adobe Air working on Galaxy  Tab3. Can you please telle me with wich kernel and Adobe version you get Air working ??

Thank you very much for this information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 27, 2013 Dec 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too just made the mistake of buying a Samsung tablet for testing AIR apps. Is there anything that can be done to improve performance? I have some users that will complain about this too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2014 Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Thanks for reporting the issue. Adobe AIR Runtime and applications built using AIR are ARMv7 based binaries and every Android device should honor the Filters on Google play including application architecture. For example – Lava Xolo, which is an Intel device doesn’t show up Adobe AIR and AIR based applications in Google Play. However, it looks like Intel based Samsung Tab 3 doesn’t respect this filtering and the AIR application experiences performance related issues on execution. By the time, we investigate the issue, developers are suggested to try out the capabilities based device filtering on their Google Developer console to exclude a particular device. Please follow Capabilities targeting section @ http://developer.android.com/distribute/googleplay/about/distribution.html

Thanks

Adobe AIR Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 27, 2014 Mar 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how about make AIR compatible with android x86 device instead of hard labor just for hiding AIR to the samsung galaxy tab 3 users ?

the feature got more than an hunderd votes on the bugtracker why don't just compile the already exist x86 based AIR for windows to android ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 27, 2014 Mar 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would there be a way to opt out of any such filtering? Some of my apps are OK on the Tab 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2014 Apr 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is essential that Adobe Air addresses this issue soon and there is no point in crying foul on Intel.

Intel is expanding its android processor range and they are not going to change the hardware.

Adobe need to show some loyalty to the customers who use AIR.

It's as simple as that - if you can't show loyalty then you can't be trusted with any technology.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2014 Apr 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Adobe - It would be nice if you could just tell us why this is not being supported. Pretending this issue does not exist is the wrong way to treat your devs. If it's a huge undertaking, and you don't have resources to do it, just tell us that. At the very least, give us your rationale for ignoring the issue.

@Devs - In the meantime, you can avoid poor reviews, and filter manually using the "santos" keyword:

Image%202014-04-14%20at%204.46.56%20PM[1].png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2014 Jun 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

Can you please explain why Air used to work on TAB 3s if it is built on ARMv7 binaries? It sounds more like you changed your platform approach and were just not bothered to let anyone know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2014 Jun 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,I am having a big problem getting adobe air on my galaxy tab 3,I play a game called farmerama and all I keep getting is that I must have Adobe air and every time I install it , it comes back with error 24th can you help me please because I am getting very frustrated now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines