Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't install Adobe Air on Mac OS 10.5.6

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2009 Mar 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I cannot, for the life of me, get Adobe AIR to install on my Mac Pro. Whenever I open the installer I get this message:
quote:

An error occurred while installing Adobe AIR. Installation may not be allowed by your administrator. Please contact your administrator.

I AM, in fact, the administrator of this computer and I'm logged into said account, but I continue to get this error. I made sure to repair my permissions, but of course that proved nothing. Can anyone provide some insight into this? I don't know how to get the installer to log and/or where to find these logs, so help with that would be great too.

Thanks!
Tyler
TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2010 Dec 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on OSX 10.6.5

I just downloaded the lastest AIR installer...

What's funny is that when I try to run the installer, and it asks me for my password, I can't type it in!!!

I even tried typing it in the Finder search textbox and copy / paste, but no dice!!!

What's wrong??

I don't have any previous AIR installed.

HELP!!!

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2011 Jan 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just try Installing it as root user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was one of the first things I tried before I came upon the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

You should be able to just use your user account password that you setup when you first created your Mac account.  You can change the password, if needed, in the Accounts panel in System Preferences.

Chris

Molasar wrote:

I'm on OSX 10.6.5

I just downloaded the lastest AIR installer...

What's funny is that when I try to run the installer, and it asks me for my password, I can't type it in!!!

I even tried typing it in the Finder search textbox and copy / paste, but no dice!!!

What's wrong??

I don't have any previous AIR installed.

HELP!!!

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that when the dialog window pops up (so that the AIR Installer can proceed) asking for my password (my user account is already filled in), my keyboard just drops dead!

The cursor is on the password textbox but whatever I do (type), nothing happens.

So I click on the Finder Spotlight Search box and I can type. I click back on the user/password dialog, and again I can't type. Cursor is there, blinking, but nothing gets "typed". It's just dead.

So I figure, ok, I'll type my password on Finder's Spotlight searchbox, copy it, and paste it on the user/password dialog. Doesn't work.

When I call it a night, and exit the AIR Installer, my Mac seems to be unresponsive. I have no remedy but to press and hold the Power button. Nothing works. Can't shut down using the menu, etc. Finder just seems to drop dead. Dock is also unresponsive. I'm like WTF!!???

There is nothing wrong with my iMac, since I can run chunky apps like Logic Pro 9.1.1, Final Cut Pro, Propellerhead Reason, Cinema 4D, etc. no problem. I have all the latest drivers and updates.

I've scanned all drives using Disk Utility, etc. All is ok.

But when I launch the AIR Installer, all hell breaks loose.

I can't figure it out...

I have a 2008 24" Alum iMac, 2.8GHz Core2Duo, 4Gb RAM, 320Gb + 1Tb HDDs, ATI video, stock keyboard and mouse, TC Konnekt 6 Firewire audio interface, Fatar Studiologic VMK-188Plus Master MIDI controller keyboard via USB. Nothing strange or weird here... Everything works like a charm. Nice and snappy.

I love my Mac.... except when I run AIR Installer! (Quick! Where did I leave the shot-gun??)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarifying.  This is one I haven't heard of before.  What's strange is that this is a system dialog asking for elevated privledges so I'm wondering if you'll run into this using other third party installers.  Let's try working around it by doing the following:

1. Mount the AdobeAIR.dmg file

2. Open the Terminal application

3. Type (or copy/paste) the following:

cd /Volumes/Adobe\ AIR/Adobe\ AIR\ Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/

sudo ./Adobe\ AIR\ Installer
4. It should then ask for your password inside the terminal window, bypassing that password dialog.
Let me know how that goes, I'll also ask around and see if anyone has seen the password field being unresponsive.
Thanks,
Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

I'm having trouble installing Adobe Air on  an  older macbook pro (2006) running MAC OSX 10.5.8.  Initially, all looks great and installation seems  to be going smoothly until I click "Finish" on the installation window  and then another window pops up that read

"An error  occurred while installing Adobe AIR. Installation may not be allowed by  your administrator. Please contact your administrator."

This is so frustrating especially since it already showed me a "installation complete" window just seconds before!

In  addition, I recently purchased CS5 Creative Suite 5 Design Premium a few months back (Sept. 2010) which was when I first ran into this problem.  I haven't had a chance to use any of the Design Premium software as of yet, so I'm not sure if any of them are affected.

Please help!!

- Malaya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Malaya,

I just posted in your other thread.  We must have just crossed paths.  Would you mind giving that a try and we'll go from there?

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2011 Mar 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of these solutions worked for me. I checked my log and this is the error that occurs during installation:

Exiting due to error: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Error #2038" errorID=2038]

I checked for Error 2038, and it seems like it's a permissions issue, but on what directory I don't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2011 Mar 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another to over come the problem is to remove the adobe air and get and old copy from the installation CD's or installer and then updated the air app.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2011 Jan 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cd /Volumes/Adobe\ AIR/Adobe\ AIR\ Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/ sudo ./Adobe\ AIR\ Installer

This worked for me...for installing it.

When I go to run a air application its asking me to install it again!

Arrrrr

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris,

I have run into this system dialog (user / password) with most other installers, but haven't had this problem before.

This is truly a first!

Will try your solution asap and post back.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I hope I'm not too late to get some help here.

I am by no means a very technical person, so if you could respond in a simple language to get me through this problem.. I would so greatly appreciate it.

Desired End Result: Download Balsamiq Mockup on my MacBookPro

• This requires Adobe Air.  Which I have installed, but after reading this thread I realized my problem is the same as many with regards to having Adobe Creative Suite 4 (with Adobe Air included) already downloaded on my computer.

I tried to follow the instructions for uninstalling the previous Version of Adobe Air on my computer, but I am having so much difficulty following what to enter in the terminal, etc..

Bottom Line:

Can anybody help me with step-by-step instructions to remove a previous version of Adobe Air (that came packaged with Adobe CS4) from my computer? So that I can install Adobe Air Version 3.1?

Thanks in advance!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2013 Mar 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In 2013, the new Adobe Air Tech Specs says that Mac OS 6.0 or higher is the only platform supporting it's use sadly and I have an OS 5.8. So, I guess it's time for out with the old, and in with the new! Technology is rapidly moving faster than my ol MacBook Pro's ability to keep up.

Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines