Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Illustrator images work as masks?

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,
I have been asked to create an animation where water flows through these pipes. (See Below) I created the vector images in Illustrator. The pipes are pen drawings with a gradient in the stroke. I created one layer with just a stroke and the second layer has the gradient finish. My thought was I could convert the gradient to a symbol and use that as a mask. The stroke would sit on top to outline the pipe. I would then create a blue shape to represent the water. I converted everything to shapes but cannot get this to work. 
seal pot.PNG

What is the best way to achieve this goal?

Also, what is the best way to bring Illustrator files into Animate?

Thank you for your willingness to help.

Mike

Animate CC 2020, Illustrator CC 2020, 800x600 AS3 file, Windows 10

TOPICS
ActionScript , How to , Other

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

You should be able to simply import your illustrator (ai) file with layers and select the layers you want to import, and import as a movieclip if you want to.

You should be able to use your gradient of the pipe as a mask simply by right-clicking the layer and selecting MASK. It can be a symbol, grouped, or broken apart. Either way it shoud work just fine as a mask.

If you are having issues, it could be too many shapes that are not all connected... so you might have to break it apart and dele

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to update this request. I have found if I use the Rectangle Primitive Tool, I can create numerous shapes, combine them through Union and that mask will work with the water. I am still interested in knowing what is the best way to take my Illustrator drawings into ANimate and have them work as masks if that is possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should be able to simply import your illustrator (ai) file with layers and select the layers you want to import, and import as a movieclip if you want to.

You should be able to use your gradient of the pipe as a mask simply by right-clicking the layer and selecting MASK. It can be a symbol, grouped, or broken apart. Either way it shoud work just fine as a mask.

If you are having issues, it could be too many shapes that are not all connected... so you might have to break it apart and delete some of the art and just keep the pipe... you may have to keep pressing Command + B to keep breaking the artwork apart. If some pieces of artwork are grouped and some are not you may have issues. So break it all apart and then you can leave it like that and mask or group it all together and then mask. 

Hope that helps.

mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines