Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash 10 Running in FullScreen freezes

Engaged ,
Dec 10, 2008 Dec 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok,
I have had an issue come up a couple times with publishing a stand-alone projector with Flash Player 10. When running in fullscreen mode, the visual of the program will freeze occasionally. The program actually continues to run in the background, and respond to clicks, but you can't see it happen. If you escape out of fullscreen mode, then you can see the program running, and the result of the touches (clicks) that you couldn't see in fullscreen mode. This is a stand alone kiosk and needs to be stable, but I can't seem to figure out what this is happening. This isn't when running FLVs, as most of the other posts have asked about. So, has anyone else had this problem or have any ideas what could be causing it. The strangest part is that the program continues to run, but the screen just doesn't update. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

- B
TOPICS
ActionScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 11, 2008 Dec 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to bump this in the hope that someone will have an idea. I think that not as many people deal with kiosk/stand alone programs as I do, so often its hard to find someone who has dealt with the same issue. I have read a ton of posts about video freezing but audio continuing to play when in fullscreen mode, which is pretty much what is happening here, but it's a flash program with no video. The program continues to execute in the background, but the visual stops updating when in fullscreen mode. It doesn't happen instantly, or even consistently, but it has happened on more than one system, with more than one program.

- B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2009 Jan 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem on a kiosk. Apparently the software has frozen and then when escaped from fullscreen has recovered. The software appears to running in the background even though the screen is frozen. The software is running a variety of h264 videos, vector and image content. We are running on Windows XP with Flash Player 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2009 Feb 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to bump this by adding that I have been running an exe made in Flex 2. I have seen this error happen immediately upon entering fullscreen three times but also I have had the exe running for over a week before the freeze occurs. Same result. Press ESC to unfreeze the Flash movie.

I will also state that it matters not whether Flash is displaying video, vectors or bitmaps. Same problem can occur whatever content Flash is displaying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2009 Feb 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, it happens pretty consistently on Windows XP (SP3) x32. Seems fine on XP x64 (also Windows Vista x64, havent tested x32 Vista)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 27, 2009 Feb 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey folks,
The solution that I had to use was to disable hardware acceleration on the system. This hurt the performance of the application I was working on, but it seemed to be the only thing that would prevent the freezing. It was very frustrating that this would happen at random times, for no clear reason. I was working on some kiosk applications for a museum, so I had control of the computer I was working on and could tweak flash settings, although this may not be the case for everyone. Hope that helps.

- B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2010 Jan 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, nothing like bumbing a year old post, but I'm having the exact same problems with a Kiosk I'm troubleshooting right now.

During development I was working on Windows 7 and saw no problems. Once the fullscreen flash projector was put on the Kiosk machine running WinXP it would randomly freeze. Sometimes it would run perfectly fine through out an evening until the next morning and sometimes it would freeze 5 minutes after the machine was turned on. The same thing as other people report, it seems to actually be running the program, but the on screen animation has frozen. Bringing the projector out of fullscreen mode with ctrl-F or esc will "fix" the problem and the animation will start back up, you can then go back into fullscreen mode, but it will freeze again after a random period of time.

I probably have a bit of a unique kiosk setup that forces me to run WinXP and hardware acceleration, so that suggested fix won't work for me. My kiosk is running 4 widscreen monitors in a row as two side by side spanned desktops. I require hardware acceleration in order to properly run the Nvidia control panel which allows the machine to have spanned desktops. The machine is a quite powerful machine with a 3Ghz Dual Core processor, 2 Gigs of RAM and dual Nvidia Geforce cards.

I am building the projectors using the latest flash player 10.0 r42 and the hardware acceleration is set to none on my publish settings. The application was programmed in AS3 and authored using Flash CS4.

Another observation based on my unique layout, I have two projectors running at once, one fullscreen on each spanned desktop. Only the projector that has focus seems to be freezing. The 2nd projector that does not have the systems focus will continue running normally. Also, possibly by co-incidence it seems to freeze when not being used, but based on how random the freezing is that may just be luck so far.

Unfortunately I don't have easy access to the Kiosk so I am trying to test on a VMware virtual machine and I am able to recreate the screen freezing effect.

Any more ideas or solutions out there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2010 Feb 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem.

The Flash .exe projector freezes after a random amount of time (minutes, hours or days) when running full screen. If you press the escape key to knock it out of full screen it will start running again. I have yet to check this behaviour in a mac projector file (.app)

The movie i'm displaying is a simple 30 frame loop - the only code on it is the full screen and scaling code. This film works fine when published with CS3, when published in CS4 i get the problems described above.

The movie is an Actionscript 2.0 movie and this is the only code in it:

onClipEvent (load) {
    Mouse.hide();
    fscommand("allowscale", "false");
    fscommand("fullscreen", "true");
    _visible = false;
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 23, 2010 Feb 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the sample code; I'm looking in this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 24, 2010 Feb 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I left the animation on over night and it is still playing.  I'm unable to reproduce this issue on the latest flash player build.  If someone can post reproducible media somewhere I can check it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did fix this problem by lowering (I was not able to disable in my specific case) the hardware acceleration slider on the graphics card troubleshooting tab.

Thanks for looking into this IHelpU, I will post my projector files that would freeze randomly in Windows XP. I'll send you a private message with their location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The animations appear to no longer freeze with the latest beta release.  You can try it here: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2010 Mar 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same freezing issue and would like to test with the latest beta flash player, but there is no flash projector content player available on Adobe labs. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2010 Mar 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem! Does everyone have Nvidia? I see a lot of that when googleing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2010 Mar 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nvidia..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2010 Apr 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oi...this really is a lingering problem. I'm seeing the same thing on Win XP 32 AND 64 with nVidia graphics cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fun, fun fun. I ran into this again, but with Windows 7 64bit on an Nvidia ION platform. This time it would freeze almost instantly upon entering fullscreen. For some reason in this case (probably the ION platform) I could not access the hardware acceleration slider in the graphics card troubleshooting panel, it was grayed out. So I disabled Hardware Acceleration on the projector by right clicking on the player and going into settings. That "seems" to have solved it in this case since the projector has been running ok for a day or two now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see this issue crop up MOSTLY when Alt-Tabbing between windows and when things show up over the Flash projector (outlook/im notifications, etc). But it does also happen randomly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also noticed that with nVidia on Vista and 7, you can't disable acceleration from the OS anymore. I think you might be able to if you uninstalled the graphics driver, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2010 May 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi guys,

may be a little late but I thought I'd share this with you all as I've spent hours trying to fix this problem, simply right click on the flash.exe whilst it is running, select settings and uncheck 'enable hardware acceleration' which is located in the first tab of the adobe flash player settings menu.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2010 Mar 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, what had happened is when I animate with the timeline... was sooo slow. When I tried to animate by AS, only could see the last step of the animation. At the end, I have discovered that I cannot use "FILTERS", because when I was using the Drop Shadow, everything went as you said, freeze.

Try to remove all the filters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2010 Mar 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry... in my case, the issue was only using the Projector to make an interactive Cd.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2010 Mar 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I am also working on a kiosk, so fullscreen is badly needed. I have tested the same application on another machine with ATI graphics card and 64  bit XP and it seems not to produce the same issue. The original freezing machine runs on an Nvidia card and 32bit XP. I have tried the following whitout any luck:

- setting hardware acceleration of in the Flash player

- in the Nvidia control panel setting all 3d acceleration to none (or optimize for performance)

I am using Flash player v 10.0.45.2.

I would like to try the flash player 10.1 beta, but theere seems to be no projector player available on adobe labs. Any idea where i could get that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines