• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there any way to get symbols into a new .fla from the .xml files? (Explanation below)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is kind of a weird situation and its probably trying to do more than should be possible...

I have an .fla for a project with about 20 seconds of animation that got corrupted. Changing the .fla extension to .rar to view the internals of the file, I saw that the "DOMDOCUMENT.xml" file which I believe contains all the main timeline data? the got corrupted, but the symbol .xml files in the library all seem to be completely intact, including all the character animation which I don't do on the timeline. I'm trying to add the library into a new .rar archive using an uncorrupted "DOMDOCUMENT.xml" from a new .fla so even if I lose my timeline I can at least get most of the character animation and assets back, but even when I've pretty closely replicated the structure of the .fla it doesn't work. Obviously this was a pretty farfetched attempt at a solution, but is there any way to get my library into a new .fla from all the .xml files of all my symbols? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

LEGEND , Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

In the XML there is a timelines entry, that you think is corrupt, and a symbols entry. I tried deleting the timelines part and saving the XML. Then, next to the XML you should see an XFL file. You can double click on that to open it in Animate. Hopefully you will see your symbols in the library, even if the timeline is empty. Each movieclip in the library has its own XML inside the LIBRARY folder. If those are corrupt you may have lost everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

All of the .xml files for the symbols aren't corrupted. Most of my symbols are saved as graphics (idk if that makes a difference). If I replace the corrupted timeline doc with a new uncorrupted but empty DOMDOCUMENT.xml I can open the .xfl to an empty timeline, but the library is empty. (Noticed I can't open the .xfl without the DOMDOCUMENT.xfl so... that's something?) Is there anything I can do to get the symbols to show up?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

NEVERMIND, I FIGURED IT OUT! In the DOMDocument.xml, there is a list of all the symbols to show in the library, so I should be able to manually add them back to the document by listing them all there! Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so, all your animation was done with code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the XML there is a timelines entry, that you think is corrupt, and a symbols entry. I tried deleting the timelines part and saving the XML. Then, next to the XML you should see an XFL file. You can double click on that to open it in Animate. Hopefully you will see your symbols in the library, even if the timeline is empty. Each movieclip in the library has its own XML inside the LIBRARY folder. If those are corrupt you may have lost everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the .xml files for the symbols aren't corrupted. Most of my symbols are saved as graphics (idk if that makes a difference). If I replace the corrupted timeline doc with a new uncorrupted but empty DOMDOCUMENT.xml I can open the .xfl to an empty timeline, but the library is empty. (Noticed I can't open the .xfl without the DOMDOCUMENT.xfl so... that's something?) Is there anything I can do to get the symbols to show up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your LIBRARY folder is empty?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NEVERMIND, I FIGURED IT OUT! In the DOMDocument.xml, there is a list of all the symbols to show in the library, so I should be able to manually add them back to the document by listing them all there! Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good Job!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines