• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I cut'n'paste audio like text -- so it doesn't overlay?

Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very simple need but I haven't found a simple fix.

Say I want to move a piece of audio from one part of a track to another. How can I do this? I can't find how to do a cut and paste in the sense we do it with text.

What happens is I can copy a piece of audio then insert it elsewhere but it lays on top of or overlays what was there. It doesn't bump everything else forward.

I edit my audio a lot. I also want to easily move it around. I assume this is what Audition is designed to do.

So I'll have a track made up of many clips. I can do what I require but my way seems incorrect and a kludge. There must be a correct, quick, better way.

What I do is split a clip where I want to insert new audio then I select everything forward from there. Then I manually move/drag all those clips forward about as far as I think my new clip will require. Then I paste in the new clip. Then I adjust the whole chunk of forward-selected clips as needed to butt up correctly against the last part of the new clip.

This is dumb. It seems bad. Takes a lot of time. There must be a better way.

...Like we do with text. Cut and paste. When we paste text it just inserts the new text between the old text. Duh. If we want new text to REPLACE old text we select the old text then paste. If we paste at an insertion point it only inserts the text. Doesn't replace or overlap or anything crazy. I want Audition to do that.

I read about something called "Mix Paste" which SEEMS like a terrible idea but also is described in a way that sounds like what I need. However, it is a greyed-out non-option after you copy some audio.

I'm hoping this is really easy and obvious. Thanks for the help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Unfortunately the feature that would be ideal is Ripple Insert which doesn't yet exist in Audition. It is a feature that has been requested for Audition for some time. So add your request to Feature requests. At the moment the only tool that can create a gap and move all clips to the right is Insert Silence. So the only work around that I know of is to Insert Silence to the same length as the clip that you want to insert to create a gap the correct length before Pasting the audio clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all we need to establish which mode you are using Audition in. I assume from what you are try to do you are working in the Multitrack view rather than the Waveform view. Cutting and pasting works rather differently in each view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi... Thanks. ...I'm in Multitrack view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I’m using Multitrack.

(I’m replying to email here. I replied in the forum online as well.)

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the feature that would be ideal is Ripple Insert which doesn't yet exist in Audition. It is a feature that has been requested for Audition for some time. So add your request to Feature requests. At the moment the only tool that can create a gap and move all clips to the right is Insert Silence. So the only work around that I know of is to Insert Silence to the same length as the clip that you want to insert to create a gap the correct length before Pasting the audio clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks! ...btw, how do i make a feature request? i just googled and came up empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines