Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Improving usability for dialog editing

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

first of all I'd like to say that I really enjoy working with Audition, especially because of it's almost invisible integration with Premiere. I'm doing a lot audio to video and there are some features that I'd like to see in multitrack editor.

1) Shortcut for adding crossfade between two clips that are placed on different tracks. Think about a situation when you're editing dialog and you want to keep your room tone consistent. To achieve this you need to fade in and out each clips so that your room tone never exceeds 100%. Presently you have to do all the fades separately for each clip and it's hard to be precise, because snapping is not enabled when working with fades. What I would like to do instead is select the clips I want to add fades to by using Time Selection Tool and then hit the shortcut that creates fade in for incoming clip(s) and fade out for outgoing clip(s). Type of applied fade (cosine or linear) should be defined in preferences by user. This feature would be a huge time saver, especially for dialog editing.

2) Please enable snapping when adjusting fades in multitrack editor. Or even better, let the user decide where to snap like you've done with Photoshop and Illustrator (snap to guide, snap to point, snap to grid etc.)

3) "Match Clip Loudness" -feature in multitrack editor is great, but it only allows you to increase clip gain by 15 dB, which is not enough in all cases. Adding options like "Adjust Gain By" and "Normalize All Peaks To" would make it much more powerful (please see Audio Gain options from Premiere Pro for more details). You should also consider removing +15dB limitation when adjusting Clip Gain from properties panel.

4) Dynamics Processing is powerful effect, but could you allow user to set ratio and threshold values also by typing? That would be helpful, especially when you're on the road and don't have a mouse with you.

5) "Source Monitor". I would like to be able to open the file and only select a portion of it before importing it into a multitrack session. In Soundtrack Pro (rest in peace) user were able to open a file in waveform editor, set in and out points and drag only selected clip into a timeline. This would be very helpful, especially when you only need to get a single word or line from alternative take. This could also be done by allowing user to have Multitrack and Waveform editors open at the same time.

6) Please allow user to maximize frame under cursor. Now you can only maximize active frame.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5) If you have your file opened in the Waveform view you can select the portion of the file that you want. Then right click on the selection and use Insert to Multitrack from the dropdown menu to insert just that portion of the file onto a track in the Multitrack view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I really haven't notice that before. I would still be more willing to insert clips by dragging to get more control, so giving user ability to do it either way would be a good improvement. The feature I described is common in other DAWs (Logic, Vegas, Soundtrack Pro and so on) and that's why Adobe should consider it to be implemented to Audition as well.

But anyway, thanks for the tip. I'm using it already!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some interesting ideas there.  My own personal workflow is such that I have my own "workrounds" for most of those but, upon reflection, that's probably because I've been using Audition since it was Cool Edit and have basically arranged my pattern of work to match the software.  However, I can certainly see how most of your ideas could improve things.

The Audition developers are very good about checking the forum so may well have seen this discussion, but may I suggest that you formalise your ideas with an actual "Feature Request" which you can do here:  Wishform - Adobe Audition   This ensures that your ideas get discussed with the developers are deciding on their priorities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll send my suggestions via wishform as well. I've been using Audition since version CC and I've found myself constantly missing these features from other softwares that I've used earlier.

I used to be a Final Cut editor until FCPX was released and I was glad to see how similar Audition is to Soundtrack Pro in many ways. Soundtrack Pro sure had it's own problems caused by poor development, but the thinking process behind the software was actually pretty good. For instance, the Multitake Editor (Soundtrack Pro Quicktips: The Multi-take Editor - YouTube ) was one of the best individual features that I've seen in any DAWs so far. Maybe I should request it also to Audition

May I ask you Bob Howes what kind of workrounds are you using? Especially for creating crossfades more quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well for speedy crossfades I, and many others, put the clips all on the same track so that crossfades are down automatically. You then just have to trim the clip lengths by sliding the overlaps to get the length of crossfade that you desire.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ryclark wrote:

Well for speedy crossfades I, and many others, put the clips all on the same track so that crossfades are down automatically. You then just have to trim the clip lengths by sliding the overlaps to get the length of crossfade that you desire.

Same method that I use - remarkably effective with music, and absolutely no room tone issues either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, that's very slick feature when working on a single track. However, when editing dialog (or film sound in general) it's usually a good idea to keep all the clips organized for multpile tracks for other reasons.

I'm personally working very track intensively by creating own track for each character in every different camera angle. Takes that are shot from the same angle usually require quite similar adjustments (especially when doing noise reduction) and setting my tracks like this allows me to process multiple clips simultaneously and non-destructively based on camera angle. This kind of workflow is widely used in the industry (atleast in Finland).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see what you mean, and why you'd like to make the crossfading work across tracks in that scenario, yes. And if I'm honest, I can see situations where I could use that too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Locemania wrote:

May I ask you Bob Howes what kind of workrounds are you using? Especially for creating crossfades more quickly.

I'm afraid it's not much of a workround.  When editing dialogue or voice overs, I just try to plan my tracks so that a voice or voices that will need crossfading happen in the same track so I can just drag them together with the auto cross fade.  Similarly I keep atmos tracks on the same track so I can pull the same trick with them.  Obviously this means the use of clip effects rather than track effects for EQ and such.

I can certainly see the usefulness of your suggestions and can think of lots of time when it would be great to to Audition to auto cross fade things in, say, tracks 1-4 then checkerboard things among them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines