Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stereo buses mix down to left channel

Explorer ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody

I hope someone can help me with this... I'm probably doing something very simple very wrongly...

I have a multitrack session with 2 mono recording tracks, 2 mono buses and the master track.

each of the mono tracks is output to 1 of the buses, and the buses themselves output to the master track.

The problem I have is that, no mare how much I move the Pan control on the buses, when I render a mixdown, all the audio is always on the left channel, even though when I play the multitrack session for previewing, the panning works just fine.

Lastly, I should point out that the recording tracks are routed to the busses via sends, not via regular output. If I use the regular output, it works just fine, but, because of my setup, I rather use the regular output as a return channel for my audio interface; otherwise, I would have to create a bus for every single input.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance for the help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Good news:

I Reported the issue to Adobe and they responded to me a few minutes ago explaining that they were able to reproduce the issue internally and have created an internal bug report to have this addressed in the next major release of Audition.

For now, we'll have to use the workaround I mentioned in the video:

make sure that all your outputs that go to your audio interface are sent via Sends and not via the main output of the channel

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the pan pot on the channel send panned to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Don't see any panning controls on the sends (these are mono tracks)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alraz2  wrote

I Don't see any panning controls on the sends (these are mono tracks)

If this is a stereo session, then everything - especially mono tracks - will have a pan control. Can you show us some screen shots?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see my comment above

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately we can't really see enough detail of how you have the tracks routed in your images. But from what I can gather you don't have Pan controls on your Mono tracks because you are using a Mono Audition Session. If you want stereo output mixed down from your session you have to start with a Stereo Multitrack session and make your mono recordings onto the tracks which will then have Pan controls to allow you to pan across the stereo field of the stereo mixdown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed something interesting:

The issue only happens if the output of the record tracks is set to my audio interface (again, mono channels).

If I set it to a bus, the master track or none, the mixdown works just fine.

Seems like a bug in audition

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alraz2  wrote

I just noticed something interesting:

The issue only happens if the output of the record tracks is set to my audio interface (again, mono channels).

If I set it to a bus, the master track or none, the mixdown works just fine.

Seems like a bug in audition

Okay, I left it to download, and eventually got to look at the video...

I think you're correct; it looks like a bug, and I can reproduce it here. Rather than let the poor developers go through the whole downloading thing, I'll write it up as a bug for you, referencing this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So do I understand this correctly, that you have stereo tracks and/or stereo master bus assigned to a mono audio driver channel?  So if Audition is responding to the audio driver being mono, the hard left panning makes some sense that the audio device behavior would overrule the track's panner.  I wouldn't call that a bug, but maybe an undesirable "as designed."  So maybe re-design is appropriate, but one shouldn't use a mono driver with a stereo session, yes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MusicConductor  wrote

So do I understand this correctly, that you have stereo tracks and/or stereo master bus assigned to a mono audio driver channel?  So if Audition is responding to the audio driver being mono, the hard left panning makes some sense that the audio device behavior would overrule the track's panner.  I wouldn't call that a bug, but maybe an undesirable "as designed."  So maybe re-design is appropriate, but one shouldn't use a mono driver with a stereo session, yes?

No, it's not like that. A mix that plays correctly into the Master channel via buses with any hardware assigned to the channels only mixes down to one half of the stereo. That shouldn't happen, and it really is a bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Steve.  And I'm glad the mother ship is right on it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been able to narrow down the issue to the following:

if any output (not sends) of the tracks armed for recording is set to an output channel on the interface I'm using to record, the issue happens.

issue.png

if I set the outputs of all those tracks to anything other than the audio interface (even to none), the issue doesn't happen.

no issue.png

So, seems like a bug with Audition.

For the record, I never touched the busses or sends on any of the tracks. This is how they look like:

sends.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created the following quick-and-dirty video explaining the whole process and sent it to Adobe bug reports; hopefully they will fix it soon.

Watch video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Watch video

Can't watch it - it appears to be 3.5GB and Amazon won't play anything bigger than 2GB directly on the site. Downloading it at Amazon's crawl rate here is going to take several hours...

But, have you started with a mono or stereo session?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news:

I Reported the issue to Adobe and they responded to me a few minutes ago explaining that they were able to reproduce the issue internally and have created an internal bug report to have this addressed in the next major release of Audition.

For now, we'll have to use the workaround I mentioned in the video:

make sure that all your outputs that go to your audio interface are sent via Sends and not via the main output of the channel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines