• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge 2023 is Completely Off in the Weeds

Contributor ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See screenshot.  Bridge displays the same image twice, the Metadata/Keywords area is gone, Bridge says 6502 items are hidden when there are only are only 3649 items in the folder (confirmed by File Explorer), the number of items for each star rating are wrong and don't total to anything close to reality...

Bridge 13.02.636 is a virtually unusable mess.

TOPICS
Bug , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My statement is that Bridge wastes many minutes to hours of my time e v e r y  d a y.

My question is what specific suggestions do you have to fix the specific problem described?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of files are these? RAW, JPEG, TIFF etc. If RAWs the hidden files might be sidecars.

Not sure what you mean by "the Metadata/Keywords area". If you mean panels then the metadata and keywords panels are still there, perhaps you have them closed? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do these two things:

Reset Preferences:

Quit Bridge (if running). Just before clicking on Bridge in the Dock or double-clicking the application for the Mac, press Command-Option-Shift. For PCs, press Control-Alt-Shift. Then open Bridge BUT KEEP your fingers on those keys until you see a window pop up. From the window, choose “Reset Preferences," "Entire Thumbnail Cache,” and/or "Reset Standard Workspaces.” In your case, choose "Reset Preferences."

Purge cache for your images' folder

Go to the Tools (menu) -> Cache -> Purge cache for "(name) folder."

Please let us know if this fixes your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original specific problem that started this thread has not reappeared.  Nonetheless...

I tried the CTRL-ALT-SHIFT start three times.  Results:

1. If I do this and click on the desktop shortcut or the bridge.exe file, I only get a Windows Properties popup.  Nothing else.
  2. If I do this and click Bridge in the Windows Start list, I get a Windows popup asking me if I want to allow Bridge to make changes to my PC.  I click yes, and Bridge starts normally.  No other popup.

Yes, I kept my fingers on CTRL-ALT-SHIFT until each popup appeared.

Even though CTRL-ALT-SHIFT failed, I purged cache for the folder.  Got a popup saying it was starting the purge.  Progress bar stayed at zero for about 30 seconds, then got another popup saying the purge was successful.  Progress bar was still at zero.  It took about 30 minutes for Bridge to regenerate thumbnails, with me scrolling down to force it to complete the entire folder.  Regardless, every time I start Bridge in this same folder, it takes about a minute to generate thumbnails... again... every time... even when I close it, verify it's closed in Task Manager, and restart it, all within 10 seconds.

Bridge cache is set to 504MB and is in the default C:/ location.  C: is a Western Digital Blue SSD.  The file folder is on a 14TB HD directly connected to the PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, I've had that same folder open for over an hour.  Bridge has been consuming over 98% of the CPU the entire time.  What in the world could it be doing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The folder contains a mix of NEF (with associated XMP files), DNG and PSD files.  The total of all of those files is what Windows Explorer shows.  Explorer doesn't care what kind of file it is - it just counts them all.  That's why I said "confirmed by File Explorer."

The "Metadata/Kewords area" is the blank white space at the lower right of the screenshot.  That's where the Metadata and Keywords panels should be displayed.  Not talking about the Filter panel on the left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshot seems to show that you do not have the metadata panel open. If you do not know how to open other panels please ask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The metadata panel is NOT open.  In fact, it's not even there.  Where it should be is blank white.  See this screenshot for where it should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not understanding you. There is no blank white area in your screenshot and the metadata panel is there for all to see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the screenshot from the original post on January 28.  You don't see a blank white area on the lower right?  I certainly do when clicking on the link above - directly below the Preview image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking at the last one you posted 46 mins ago where everything looks as it should. No blank white area and the metadata panel displayed correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No wonder.  I said in today's post, "See this screenshot for where it should be."  If you want to see the missing metadata panel, look at the image in the original January 28 post.  The area where it should be is white.  It wasn't not open - that entire area wasn't being displayed by Bridge.  That's the point.  Don't believe me?  Close the metadata panel (and any other panel you might have in that area).  You'll see that the preview image moves to the vertical middle of the space, and the space above and below the preview image is the same background color as the rest of the screen.  Not white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which workspace are you using? Is one of the built in ones or one you created yourself? It might be corrupted. You can reset all workspaces to default.

As an experiment try a different workspace if you haven't already and open the metadata panel in that one. Does it make any difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the suggestion.  I created my own workspace, but it's very similar to Essentials.  They both seem to be working now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines