• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge Photo Downloader does not retain settings

Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2018 Dec 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photo Downloader used to retain the settings from the last time it was used. Now, it goes to the default settings and new settings including copyright have to be put in every time it is used.

Is there a way to get the Photo Downloader to retain settings again?

I'm using Adobe Bridge CC 2019 ver. 9.0.2.219

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Soooo...I'm not a code propellerhead, but I decided to do some detective work based upon what's happened before.

Before I divulge, here's what I did to get preferences back (note this is for Windows 10; I can't speak on how to do it for Mac but I'm sure someone can pipe in on where the location is):

On Windows 10, in Windows Explorer, go to:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe

(If you don't see it, the AppData folder is hidden by default, because companies like Microsoft don't think you should

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

I am running Windows 10 Pro (1909.18363.535) and using Adobe Bridge CC 2020 (10.0.1.126).

I too was having a problem with my settings not saving, and though I tried both proposed suggestions (creating folder within user profile) I found that I was able to solve it with a quicker solution, just lauch the application once with "run as administrator".  Even though I am the only profile on my machine with UAC turned off, things still need admin elevated permissions if you are not using the built in A

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Little late to this, but Adobe is aware. No ETA on a fix yet, though. The bug's affecting me as well.

Bridge CC 2019 Photo Downloader

Bridge 2019 Photo Downloader doesn't remember previous settings ā€“ Adobe Bridge Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any ETA on a fix on this Bug? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any ETA on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Years later, no fix. I have a feeling Adobe is in the business of programming glitches, and everything that works is just an accident.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know where Bridge stores the file that holds the info for the last settings for the Bridge Photo Downloader? Either Bridge is not storing it in the right place, or Bridge is not looking for it in the write (pun intended) place. Someone just needs to go in and set the code to the same place for both jobs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soooo...I'm not a code propellerhead, but I decided to do some detective work based upon what's happened before.

Before I divulge, here's what I did to get preferences back (note this is for Windows 10; I can't speak on how to do it for Mac but I'm sure someone can pipe in on where the location is):

On Windows 10, in Windows Explorer, go to:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe

(If you don't see it, the AppData folder is hidden by default, because companies like Microsoft don't think you should see it to rectify a problem and you're dumb. Use View > Hidden Items on Explorer's menu bar to see it.)

Create a folder named, "Bridge CC 2018" (without the quotes, of course) in the Adobe folder. And that's it. Try and launch Photo Downloader. Change some settings, download some images and exit. Then try it again to see if your settings stuck.

What I surmised is that the code for Bridge CC 2019 is maybe trying to point at the Bridge CC 2018 folder for its "APDPreferences.xml" file, which the Photo Downloader needs to reference for saved settings. If you noticed, after noodling around in Photo Downloader, the APDPreferences.xml file is created in the empty Bridge CC 2018 folder we made earlier.

This is the similar thing that happened some years back with Bridge CS 5.1. Users had to create a blank folder named "Bridge CS 5" to get it to work again. (For more reference: Photo Downloader default settings? )

Soooo...yay! It's working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this fix.

It takes about 30 sec if that to create the required folder then the problem is no more.

Brilliant!

...but why can't Adboe fix this as they have had about a million times as long as it took me?

And they employ programmers don't they?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're all welcome! 

Unless it's absolutely imperative, you'd never see a hotfix for something like this as it's more in the quality-of-life department. It works; it's just a PITA because it's a huge time sink to have to change the settings every time, especially filling in the metadata fields. (I know, I don't like it either.) We're probably sure to see a fix with the next update.

ON EDIT: I'm going to unmark the original "correct" answer (which was actually my reply) and use my recent reply as the correct one so people don't miss it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"We're probably sure to see a fix with the next update."

The problem remains still. I did a fresh install yesterday on Windows, and had to create a new folder to make it work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!!!

That fixed it.

On a Mac it goes under Users/Library/Application Support/Adobe

Looks like it will only take changing an 8 to a 9 in 2 lines of code.

I really appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mate, that worked a treat!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone else came here searching for the solution but needs the Mac version, here it is:

Open terminal

Type mkdir "~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Bridge CC 2018"

This will create the settings folder in the hidden library preferences folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing to change 2018 --> 2019 as the case may be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does actually need to be 2018, the root of this bug is that Photo Downloader 2019 for some reason saves the settings to the 2018 folder and if that folder doesn't exist it can't save the preferences file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2019 Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mate, that worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We seem to be going around in circles with this issue!
With Bridge CC 2019 a reported fix was to have your old Bridge 2018 CC AppData folders still present, at least for Windows users. This was because Bridge CC 2019 was attempting to save settings in Bridge CC 2018 folders.

Then the problem was fixed with the release of version 9.1.0.338.

Now with Bridge 2020 and the problem is back again!
...and analogously, if your old Bridge CC 2019 AppData folders are kept, then this stops the issue occurring. Without these folders settings are not kept.
So we appear to have exactly the same issue - Bridge 2020 is trying to save settings in the wrong folders i.e. Bridge CC 2019 folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THX!!

I had the same problem when I installed bridge om my new pc (windows) first new map bridge 2018 CC doesn't worked. did some detective work šŸ™‚ on my old one there was a "bridge 2019 CC' map copied it and paste it in the adobe map meantioned above. works great again!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2024 Mar 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.  This has been driving me crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem I just wanted to reply and say I appreciate and approve that you intended your pun. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2019 Mar 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant, Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem on my Mac Pro 6,1 running Mojave 10.14.3 using Adobe Bridge v 9.0.3.  The solution provided doesn't seem to translate well to OSX.  Anyone know the remedy here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue was fixed with the release of version 9.1.0.338 of Bridge CC 2019 but with the release of Bridge 2020 it is back again!

This is as described before except that now you need to have a folder in your AppData "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Bridge CC 2019" which is where Bridge 2020 looks to store and retreive the settings file "APDPreferences.xml". Create the above folder if it is absent and all will be well.

In other words, same fix but a generation ahead!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Did a clean install on a clean OS and the problem was back. Glad to find the updated answer here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Thanks all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines