Exit

Camera Raw editing not enabled

Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2011 Aug 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to do a system restore only to find on return that

I get a message saying  "Camera Raw editing is not enabled. Camera Raw
editing requires that a qualiftyjing product has been launched at least once to enable this

feature"

I can open and work on my ORF's via the mini bridge but not the big one, very frustrating. Can anyone help please without me having to reinstall the whole of CS5?

Thank you in advance,

RonB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 12, 2011 Aug 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually this works out if you open Bridge from the parent software at least once, which for most users is Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Curt,

I have opened Photoshop then closed it. Opened it again so a to open the Bridge. The Bridge does open but when I select a file to open a picture in Photoshop to make adjustments,  I get the "Camera Raw editing is not enabled, etc etc".Strange thing is, I can get at my pictures via the mini bridge???

Thanks for your help thus far,

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you open Bridge FROM Photoshop?

Icon after Help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried that , I opened Photoshop then closed it, then opened it again. I then clicked on the Bridge which opened. I then selected a picture. When I tried to open it in

Camera RAW, I got the message "Camera RAW editing is not enabled etc etc"

I can't understand why I can open the Mini Bridge and then open a picture in camera RAW but not in the big one too???

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that well versed on how mini bridge works.  I might be more of a Photoshop thing than Bridge, just do not know.

I would open Bridge and reset the preferences.  Hold down the Ctrl key and start Bridge.   You should get a reset windown with 3 options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I got the drop down menu and opted for the first item but still no joy. There must be something somewhere which is not allowing me to enable Camera RAW editing via the Bridge. I have never had any problems with it before. Are you aware of any other Adobe programmes that work in tandem with the bridge or Camera Raw editing, maybe I have inadvertently deleted one ??

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of the problems with ACR are 2 things.  You either have ACR in the wrong folder, or there is more than one copy there.

Go to PS and click on Help/about plug-ins/camera raw.  You will get the version installed.  Should be only one file listed.

The plug in should be in Program Files/COMMON FILES/adobe - - - - -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Curt,

I found Camera RAW 6 under Common Files, Adobe, Plug Ins, File Formats, CS5. I don't know if this is where it is supposed to be??

Under Help About Plug Ins it shows version 6.0.0.205

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this right.  Should bean 8bi file.

You need to update your acr file.  It is now at least 6.4.1.145.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, first question is, how do I update it and second one is, is it in the right place please? Am I right in thinking that IF it is the right place, should it not work properly?

It's quite a mystery and one I would dearly love to solve.

I would like to say a big Thank You for your help with this and I do hope I am not becoming a bore. Unfortunately, my wife and I are going away for a few days, back next Tuesday so if we don't resolve it soon. I will get back to you when we return if that's alright with you?

Regards,

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the update first.  Click on the Downloads in the Adobe title bar above.  On the right side of window scroll down to ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

Sorry to butt in on your discussion but I thought I made a reply since I am encountering the same issue and we have the same Windows 7 system.

After updating all CS5 applications, here are the versions I have:

-Adobe Photoshop Camera RAW plug in - version 6.4.1.145

-Adobe Photoshop - version 12.0.4x32

plus I could no longer find any update so I am guessing this is the most updated versions.

After updating, I reset my computer, opened photoshop then from photoshop opened Bridge.

When I now try to open a file from bridge to open in camera raw it gives now a different error message.

Would you know how to fix this next and hopefully last error message?

Thank you!

error.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 13, 2011 Aug 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any other applications that might be considered a parent application?  Like Lightroom?

Here is a solution from a post a few months back.

i ran into the same issue just this last week....and i finally found (at  least in my case) the SOLUTION...i'd D/Led the trial version of adobe  illustrator...something in that download, or the preference choices that  followed afterward, KICKED my "Parent Application," which had always  been photoshop CS4, to the curb!  realizing, as i've had to in the  past,  that i should "look back to what you'd done just prior to the  change (with its resulting ERROR message) and UNDO it."  ergo:  i dumped  the trial version of illustrator, and VOILA!  i can now, once again,  open jpgs by opting for "open in camera raw"  directly from the BRIDGE  again...hope this helps!  too bad newly added ADOBE programs don't ask  you to actually ESTABLISH which of their programs you would LIKE to  designate as the PARENT APPLICATION when you're loading  said new  software!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Curt,

The only Adobe software I have installed aside from CS% is adobe reader and adobe flash player. Can these 2 applications be considered as parent application for the bridge?

Thanks.

Regards,

Kio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would not think so.

I am running out of ideas.

Did a Google search for this subject and see others having the problem, but no smoking gun for solution.

Getting down to the only thing left is to uninstall, run Adobe Script Cleaner and reinstall.  Deactivate PS first if you do this.

But hang on, I will see if the guy that answers on the Mac Bridge Forum has any answers.  If I remember correctly you will be out of town until Tues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2011 Aug 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Curt,

I did the uninstall, run the adobe script cleaner and re-install the whole CS5 suite. I even uninstalled all my other adobe software such as the flash player and the acrobat reader to make sure that there are no other parent application to run but I still get the same error message.error.jpg

I can also send to you the log of the adobe cleaner if needed. I encountered an error when I run it first but I followed the instructions to manually delete the folder in the path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe/OOBE

Then after I deleted the folder I rerun the cleaner and found no other items related to the CS5 suite.

After that, I re-installed the C5 suite, updated it to the current ones you have in the website. Then I restarted my computer. Then I opened PS first and from there I opened Bridge. When I try to open an image directly to camera raw from Bridge or copy the settings of an image it still gave the errir message indicated above.

I'm sure I am not the only one encountering this problem thus it would really help a lot if we can find a resolution to this issue since the CS5 suite is really a good application, a cut above the rest, except for thisparticular issue.

Thank you very much for your continued assistance.

Regards,

Kio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a real bummer!!  Was hoping the re-install would be good.

I would reset the preferences in Bridge (crtl) and in Photoshop (shift+crtl+ alt) as these files are not reset when you re-install.

This is a self contained PC right?  You are not on a network with other PC's?

By CS5 suite you are refering to just Photoshop and Bridge?  This is not a suite as Bridge is not a seperate program.  It comes bundled with Photoshp, LIghtroom, or in a Suite.  Or is it a suite of several programs and you are not installling the other programs?

In Bridge go to edit/preferences/scripts and make sure you have a checkmark for at least Bridge and Photoshop.

Did this work before your reformatted your hard drive and reinstalled everything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a reply from my counterpart in the Mac forum.

Suposing he has a 64 bit install on a 64 bit machine and ran the updater?

What version is he using??

And  running the clean script should remove the essential parts but does not  remove the Bridge cache. Did he do a search for left Adobe files in  library prefs and caches.

And if after this still nothing  is working he best should uninstall again and download a trialversion to  see if that works. If so his installdisk is the problem 🙂

edit - if you use the trial version use of your s/n will make it a normal version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2011 Aug 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kurt,

Just got back. I have checked Bridge - Preferences and all the boxes are checked. I guess I will have to uninstall the whole thing and start all over again. If only we could find out which qualifying product it is that needs to be launched, we would be well away.

I have no idea how all this started in the first place. Everything was working well and then bingo, problems. Can you tell me, exacly which other Adobe programmes I should be running, things like Adobe Acrobat Reader 5, or 10 or what ever. Maybe I have inadvertantly deleed one of them?? although I don't think so.

Best wishes,

RonB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a screen shot of your directory showing the expansion down to the camera raw 8bi file.  Use the camera icon above to upload it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 on a 64 byte machne with CS5

Ron B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone is suggesting I download a tial version of Adobe Illustrator

as he reckons whilst it kicked his CS4 into touch, I subsequently uninstalled

the illustrator and he can now upen JPEGS direct from the Bridge, "Open in Camera RAW"  Reckon I should try it Curt??

RonB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHAT?  You said way back you only had Photoshop, and Adobe Reader.  Now you are saying you have Adobe illustrator?

Like I said a few posts back if you have only Photoshop that is the qualifying product.  If you have a suite with other programs that makes it more confusing.

Sometimes confusing problems can be dealt with by signing in on the OS as a different user.  Might try that also, as we are grasping at straws here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2011 Aug 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Curt,

Sorry if I caused confusion. In one of your posts you quoted someone as saying that they had a smilar poblem to the one I have and they had downloaded a trial version of Adobe Illustrator and for one reason or another discovered it wasn't right and uninstalled it. After doing so, they discovered their Bridge would work and they could then open RAW camera files without any problems.

I was asking whether you thought I should do likewise, download a trial version of Adobe Illustrator then uninstall it and see what happens/ What do you think please??

RonB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines