• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mystery solved! Why Bridge 2023 is a glitchy mess.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know those anxiety nightmares people get sometimes? Like... you're back in college, it's exam week, and you abruptly realize you forgot about a whole class? You meant to drop it months ago but it slipped your mind, so you never attended any lectures, did any readings, or completed any assignments? And the exam is in an hour? Your GPA is going to implode because you forgot about a class for the entire term when you were supposed to be preparing.

Bridge 2023 is that class.

My theory is that Adobe, busy as it was with the rest of it courseload software, collectively forgot all about Bridge until, like, last Tuesday. Then everybody was all "holy crap, the new Creative Suite rolls out in a week and we forgot about Bridge! Everybody get cracking, quick! Bob: write up six new features to add. Sally: add the features that Bob's writing up. Anna: get your crayons an draw a new UI. Katherine: Coffee! Brett: you're in charge of making it work with Apple Silicon. Hiram: you're German, you're efficient, you make a schedule and keep us on track! Chop chop, people!!"

I mean, it's really the only plausible explanation when you think about it. Software typically builds on earlier versions of itself, but the stuff in Bridge 2023 that's most broken is stuff that's been working fine for nearly two decades.  Bob and Anna and Helmut and the others worked furiously, nonstop for... I don't know, a good four days. Heck, if God created the universe in a week, surely 96 hours is enough time to completely overhaul a foundational cornerstone of the creative suite.

I've been reading community posts with great interest, having encountered most of the problems listed as well as several fun new ones I will share. Like everyone else, I've already rolled back to Bridge 12; sure, it's slow, obtuse, frustrating, and almost stupidly limited in capability compared to some DAMs written by a single person, but it's my slow obtuse frustrating and stupidly limited in capability. 

Some features of Bridge 2023's clearly abortive and ill-conceived development:

• Much of the basic interface functionality (stuff that shipped in 2005 with Bridge CS2) works differently (e.g., file dragging behavior, spacebar/Enter/Ctrl/Command behavior, etc.).
  • More often,  obvious quality-of-life functionality just isn't there or doesn't work. Scaling thumbnails? As many as three luxurious sizes! Previews sychronized to those thumbnails? Yes, with an obligatory 10-second delay. Greater interface customization? That does work, but somehow in working it manages to be limiting in different ways. Tell me, Adobe, why, exactly, did you see fit to remove the ability to manually resize the spacer separating metadata labels and their fields in the Metadata panel? Had that iota of convenience somehow impinged on a different capability? 
  • Smart Collections! don't worry, they still exist. They don't work, but they exist. The Look In: Use Current Folder option is ignored, so all your customers have a hillock of painstakingly set up Smart Collections that no longer behave as they did LITERALLY YESTERDAY.
  • Workflow! Well... using Bridge 2023 is very much like "work," and my anger did flow freely. So we'll call that one a maybe. Special thanks for changing, moving, crippling, removing, and/or flat-out breaking assorted basic workflow elements for no evident reason at all.
  • For example, I (used to) like assigning star ratings while running an "show unrated only" filter, so files disappear from view once they get a rating. It's a speedy and efficient workflow, because most software knows to advance to the next file whenever a previous one is filtered. Bridge 2023 does not. Bridge selects... nothing. Instead it banishes you to the start of the directoryso you can painstakingly navigate back to where you were each time.
  • "Always show files in subfolders" might be more useful if it could be set on a granular basis, but once that switch is thrown for a single content tab, it's thrown for all of them. Same goes for "Show folders." I know other DAMs have toyed with the idea of basic interface customizability in the recent past -- maybe the last 45 years or so -- so it's gratifying to see Bridge maintaining its position at the cutting edge of UX in this way.
  • In a similarly anachronistic vein, Bridge does not believe that I have a CUDA-capable GPU, passive-aggressively unticking the hardware acceleration checkbox and insisting that my fully compatible hardware is not compatible at all. Photoshop works fine with my GPU, but hey.
  • Or maybe Bridge doesn't want to be like Photoshop any more -- I noticed the two applications are no longer on speaking terms. Did they have a fight?  Attempt to invoke Photoshop from Bridge and nothing happens. Then nothing continues to happen, because Bridge does nothing when I push the Go To Photoshop button. I actually want a thing to happen, but instead of a thing there is nothing.
  • Bridge is of the opinion that writing metadata tags to image files is optional, and exercises its right to forego this task about half the time. And since metadata-writing is an optional activity, it sees no reason to keep me informed of its progress or lack thereof.
  • Since starting my personal Bridge 2023 Trail of Tears yesterday afternoon, the application has terminated without warning NINE TIMES. It's there, lurking on my taskbar... and then it's gone. It returns obediently enough when I summon it, but slinks away again when my attention is elsewhere.
  • The rather hideous new side panels don't seem to work the way they're supposed to, unless refusing to hide when told to hide and refusing to maximize when told to maximize was an intentional design choice, like the decision to shoot that one episode of House of the Dragon in near-total darkness so no one could see what was happening.
    • As a corrolary, it might not have been the worst idea to mention that the accent key is, for reasons inexplicable, the new maximize button.
  • Bridge has crashed with an unknown error. This error requires you to repair Adobe Creative Cloud. Please click here to download the repair tool.
  • Adobe Creative Cloud Repair Tool has completed successfully. Please restart Creative Cloud.
  • Bridge has crashed with an unknown error. This error requires you to repair Adobe Creative Cloud. Please click here to download the repair tool.
  • Adobe Creative Cloud Repair Tool has completed successfully. Please restart Creative Cloud.
  • And so on.

This vast post doesn't even cover half of the oddities, glitches, foibles, bugs, features, and breakdowns I've encountered in Bridge 2023. Judging from the support forums, it seems like I'm not alone.

Adobe, if you're listening: if you really did forget about Bridge until last week, you should have just told us. We'd have understood -- it's a busy time, and besides, who hasn't, at some point in their life, forgotten about a class or a report or a product or a child? We are all but fallible creatures.

Here's my advice in case this happens again: next time, instead of releasing the Cyberpunk 2077 of productivity software with your otherwise solidly-engineered tools, why not use that Adobe Money to buy thirty million Imatch licenses and just bundle that with Creative Suite instead? That program has its idiosyncrasies, sure, but it works as advertised. Think how much easier it would be than trying to catch up technologically with... uh... a DAM made by a single person working out of his home.

TOPICS
Bug , Crash or freeze , Feature request , Metadata , Performance , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Hi,

Many of the issues reported in the thread are fixed in the latest patch release #13.0.1.583. Please install and confirm if that fixes the issue.
You can refer to the issues fixed in the patch at the following link https://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/kb/fixed-issues.html

Thanks,
Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 121 Replies 121
Contributor ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to this list of dissatified customers... 

can't believe Adobe being so negligent in getting one of their better utilities to malfucntion so badly.  

Allmost all of the complaints listed on the 2023 version of Bridge apply to mine.  One of the most troubling ones is that it take Bridge forever to start up, i.e. load.  It will load eventually, but that takes several restarts of Bridge.  Also, it does not change even when rebooting the comoputer.  

Bridge will start up after about 20 minutes and function with its new "latency", as so many 2023 users are complaining about 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mikeklar 

When making specific complaints about an application, it is helpful to the engineering team to also add your OS (and what release). 

On my Mac, this new Bridge starts up (without crashing) in about 8 seconds. I'm on 12.6 on a Mac Studio. When you provide that little bit of extra information, the Bridge team has something to work with. Otherwise, you have successfully ranted but have not helped anyone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One question 

You indicate it takes 8 seconds for briddge to start up.   

My reason for asking, when I load Bridge [and it doesn't hang up, i.e. crash] it takes less than 2 seconds to fully load, right up to the last opend folder.  However, I set it up to only load from my workstation.   

So, is it possible you are using "cloud", and itis causing the startup delay... ?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi are you an expert with Adobe or an expert who tries to help us folks via this communication avenue?  I'mjust wondering if you're part of the Adobe team where you can recommend them uploading the older version of Bridge so that we can use the program.  Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I have no affiliation with Adobe, exept for a long time and now frustrated user

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Just wondering.  I guess I will try to call Adobe again to see if I can get a person.  I will certainly tell them it would be a good idea to update their Bridge Download to the older version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2022 Nov 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely agree. That is the fastest way to fix the disaster they created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 1.10.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 1.09.44 PM.png

  posting my screen as someone had asked. export pdf function does not highlight and then when it does, it fails?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to the above - 

The PC used is a Workstation, WRX80 platform using Windows 11.
The CPU is an AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3900WX, the GPU is a RX 6900 XT, DRAM Memory – 256GB, local storage consists multiple high-speed SSDs and RAID SSDs drives.
The equipment is used to edit large (several GB size) files. Also, 4K video.
Regarding the issues encountered after the latest updates (which deleted all the previous Adobe versions) - short list:
- Starting Bridge takes multiple attempts to get going
- Viewing uncompressed RAW files (70 GB+) takes twice as long than in previous versions
- Viewing image files at 100% is hesitant and causes the curser to be hidden, making it very difficult to select any files, which can only be seen, as being selected, when the text becomes highlighted...
- I don’t use “Cloud” due to the large files, especially video files.
There is more...
The good, Camera RAW seems to be working as before these latest updates.
Cheers
Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rolled back to 2022 also, the new one is unusable. I depend on Bridge daily at work, I can't afford to have it flake out on me the way it has. It bugs on both my tower and laptop On Windows 10 and 11 same thing, and these machines are more than capable of running the software. Very frustrating. The other software in the creative suite 2023 seems to be running fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your post!

Just adding to the list, among the things mentioned in your post and in the replies:

The smaller scroll bar, that does aesthetically look more pleasing, but makes me drag and drop folders to places they don't belong too constantly, never happened to me in the '22 version.

I do see the potential of the '23 version, but there's a lot that needs to be addressed, making it run stable in the first place, several crashes a day is unacceptable imho.

- Win 11, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 64GB, GeForce GTX 970, running from M.2 SSD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree, the scroll bar is too narrow.  I've accidentally moved and dropped folders into other folders and it took time to find where they were placed... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx, now I know I'm not the only one who is highly frustrated about it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mi teoria es que, desde hace ya  tiempos , Adobe quiere desacerse de Bridge y "obligarnos a ir a Lightroom.

Para mi es mas sencillo Bridge que lightroom , y estoy acostumbrado a mi flujo de trabajo , bridge + camera raw + ps....

Pero cada dia estoy mas hasta las narices del dichoso Bridge.

Tengo una cosa clara , si al final me cambio , será a CaptureOne ,Imatch , u otro software , por todas las putas que llevamos soportando.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Many of the issues reported in the thread are fixed in the latest patch release #13.0.1.583. Please install and confirm if that fixes the issue.
You can refer to the issues fixed in the patch at the following link https://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/kb/fixed-issues.html

Thanks,
Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great but unfortunately the flickering in fullscreen still remains on my Imac 27 ( 2017 i7 64GB RAM OSX 12.6.1 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here on Windows 11 with a 27" 4K screen, but also on my laptop with
Win 11 on a 4K 15,4" screen..

+31 (0)6 27 33 56 17
www.tomjanssen.eu
www.instagram.com/tomphilipjanssen

Vechtclub XL
Europalaan 2B - studio D1.3
3526 KS Utrecht
The Netherlands

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replied through email and forgot to delete my signature, not able to edit this it seems..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still takes more than one attempt to open the program, i.e. get past the crashes. 

So far, I see it now allows for large RAW files (120MB) to be opened quickly and stably, however, once flipping through a number of them in series the mouse pointer dissappears.  At that stage the mouse pointer becomes invisible anytime it is over Bridge's window, it still selectes files, which can be seen only when the labels are highlighted.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more observation regarding the mouse pointer ; 

I use two monitors, same resolutions, different sizes, and when flipping throught the files at full screen I loose the mouse pointer.  However, when viewing images full screen and the mouse pointer is no longer visible, by moving the mouse to the other screen and back again it is now visible and remains so ... at least for that session.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2022 Nov 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still cannot open photoshop through bridge via raw converter. Such an important basic function that does not work.

How can they mess update such an update claiming they fix many of the issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

11-27-22 NO "many" ARE NOT FIXED!    MOST of the problems are still there.  Stop telling us this garbage app is a sweet treat.  It isn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The folder panel isn't working fine yet. If I right click a folder in windows explorer --> 'browse folder with adobe Bridge 2023' it doesn't show the folder where I am in the folderpanel of Bridge. If Bridge is already open, it will not go to the folder at all. 

I still have to use the Bridge 2022 version for workflow and switch to 2023 for Photoshop connection. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somebody had to post a response, so I assume poor Rahul lost a bet and thus was the unlucky one nominated to do so. Perhaps the phrase "Many of the issues reported in the thread are fixed" was mandated language from Adobe PR. Or maybe my vocabulary isn't as good as I thought it was -- since kindergarten, I thought the word "many" meant... um... many. But it occurs to me that I could be wrong. If "many" actually means "almost none," then the statement above is pretty accurate.

The third and likeliest possibility is that Adobe genuinely does believe that "many" of the issues are fixed. The only way to verify that something is working properly is to test it, and it's patently obvious that Adobe didn't test Bridge 2023 at all. It wasn't tested prior to release, it wasn't tested when the patch was applied.

I have a new hypothesis. It's radical -- dare I say crazy -- but based on what I've seen, it seems increasingly likely: I don't think anyone at Adobe actually owns the Creative Suite. 

Think about it. If they don't have the Creative Suite, they can't test the Creative Suite. If they can't test it, they can't be sure what's fixed. And if they can't be sure, well, why not just be optimistic and say "many of the issues are fixed"? For all Adobe knows, the latest patch did fix everything. 

A fourth and presumably more remote possibility is that Adobe Bridge 2023 was recoded from the ground up by walruses instead of people. That would also explain the program's issues, since it's super-hard to type accurately with those flippers. But overall I think the walrus idea is probably the least likely root cause. Walruses are not native to San Jose, after all. In the end I find it most probable that Adobe simply didn't test the program. Ever.

For those keeping score at home, the latest patch does slightly improve Bridge's overall stability for me. That is, it doesn't seem to crash quite as often. But practically nothing else is fixed. Smart Collections still ignore the Use Current Folder command; adjusting ratings still returns to the top of the folder; metadata is still applied sporadically; and nothing about Bridge/Photoshop interoperability has improved. To say nothing of all the stuff Bridge 2023 should have done but didn't; stuff like make Workflows useful instead of a pointless waste of space, or open up Metadata customization so users have granular control over image tags, or make filters and Smart Collections a tiny bit flexible, or optimize the app even a little to improve performance. 

I've gameified this whole experience, so it's actually fun for me to reinstall Bridge 2023 every now and then, just to track all the things it still can't, won't, or doesn't do. It's akin to watching Elon Musk run Twitter, a sort of terrifying slow-motion slapstick comedy. I try it out, laugh and shake my head, roll back to Bridge 2022, and fire up Imatch. Or XNViewMP. Or DigiKam. Or Photo Mechanic. Or ACDSee. Or Daminion. Honestly, the list goes on and on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines