• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mystery solved! Why Bridge 2023 is a glitchy mess.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know those anxiety nightmares people get sometimes? Like... you're back in college, it's exam week, and you abruptly realize you forgot about a whole class? You meant to drop it months ago but it slipped your mind, so you never attended any lectures, did any readings, or completed any assignments? And the exam is in an hour? Your GPA is going to implode because you forgot about a class for the entire term when you were supposed to be preparing.

Bridge 2023 is that class.

My theory is that Adobe, busy as it was with the rest of it courseload software, collectively forgot all about Bridge until, like, last Tuesday. Then everybody was all "holy crap, the new Creative Suite rolls out in a week and we forgot about Bridge! Everybody get cracking, quick! Bob: write up six new features to add. Sally: add the features that Bob's writing up. Anna: get your crayons an draw a new UI. Katherine: Coffee! Brett: you're in charge of making it work with Apple Silicon. Hiram: you're German, you're efficient, you make a schedule and keep us on track! Chop chop, people!!"

I mean, it's really the only plausible explanation when you think about it. Software typically builds on earlier versions of itself, but the stuff in Bridge 2023 that's most broken is stuff that's been working fine for nearly two decades.  Bob and Anna and Helmut and the others worked furiously, nonstop for... I don't know, a good four days. Heck, if God created the universe in a week, surely 96 hours is enough time to completely overhaul a foundational cornerstone of the creative suite.

I've been reading community posts with great interest, having encountered most of the problems listed as well as several fun new ones I will share. Like everyone else, I've already rolled back to Bridge 12; sure, it's slow, obtuse, frustrating, and almost stupidly limited in capability compared to some DAMs written by a single person, but it's my slow obtuse frustrating and stupidly limited in capability. 

Some features of Bridge 2023's clearly abortive and ill-conceived development:

• Much of the basic interface functionality (stuff that shipped in 2005 with Bridge CS2) works differently (e.g., file dragging behavior, spacebar/Enter/Ctrl/Command behavior, etc.).
  • More often,  obvious quality-of-life functionality just isn't there or doesn't work. Scaling thumbnails? As many as three luxurious sizes! Previews sychronized to those thumbnails? Yes, with an obligatory 10-second delay. Greater interface customization? That does work, but somehow in working it manages to be limiting in different ways. Tell me, Adobe, why, exactly, did you see fit to remove the ability to manually resize the spacer separating metadata labels and their fields in the Metadata panel? Had that iota of convenience somehow impinged on a different capability? 
  • Smart Collections! don't worry, they still exist. They don't work, but they exist. The Look In: Use Current Folder option is ignored, so all your customers have a hillock of painstakingly set up Smart Collections that no longer behave as they did LITERALLY YESTERDAY.
  • Workflow! Well... using Bridge 2023 is very much like "work," and my anger did flow freely. So we'll call that one a maybe. Special thanks for changing, moving, crippling, removing, and/or flat-out breaking assorted basic workflow elements for no evident reason at all.
  • For example, I (used to) like assigning star ratings while running an "show unrated only" filter, so files disappear from view once they get a rating. It's a speedy and efficient workflow, because most software knows to advance to the next file whenever a previous one is filtered. Bridge 2023 does not. Bridge selects... nothing. Instead it banishes you to the start of the directoryso you can painstakingly navigate back to where you were each time.
  • "Always show files in subfolders" might be more useful if it could be set on a granular basis, but once that switch is thrown for a single content tab, it's thrown for all of them. Same goes for "Show folders." I know other DAMs have toyed with the idea of basic interface customizability in the recent past -- maybe the last 45 years or so -- so it's gratifying to see Bridge maintaining its position at the cutting edge of UX in this way.
  • In a similarly anachronistic vein, Bridge does not believe that I have a CUDA-capable GPU, passive-aggressively unticking the hardware acceleration checkbox and insisting that my fully compatible hardware is not compatible at all. Photoshop works fine with my GPU, but hey.
  • Or maybe Bridge doesn't want to be like Photoshop any more -- I noticed the two applications are no longer on speaking terms. Did they have a fight?  Attempt to invoke Photoshop from Bridge and nothing happens. Then nothing continues to happen, because Bridge does nothing when I push the Go To Photoshop button. I actually want a thing to happen, but instead of a thing there is nothing.
  • Bridge is of the opinion that writing metadata tags to image files is optional, and exercises its right to forego this task about half the time. And since metadata-writing is an optional activity, it sees no reason to keep me informed of its progress or lack thereof.
  • Since starting my personal Bridge 2023 Trail of Tears yesterday afternoon, the application has terminated without warning NINE TIMES. It's there, lurking on my taskbar... and then it's gone. It returns obediently enough when I summon it, but slinks away again when my attention is elsewhere.
  • The rather hideous new side panels don't seem to work the way they're supposed to, unless refusing to hide when told to hide and refusing to maximize when told to maximize was an intentional design choice, like the decision to shoot that one episode of House of the Dragon in near-total darkness so no one could see what was happening.
    • As a corrolary, it might not have been the worst idea to mention that the accent key is, for reasons inexplicable, the new maximize button.
  • Bridge has crashed with an unknown error. This error requires you to repair Adobe Creative Cloud. Please click here to download the repair tool.
  • Adobe Creative Cloud Repair Tool has completed successfully. Please restart Creative Cloud.
  • Bridge has crashed with an unknown error. This error requires you to repair Adobe Creative Cloud. Please click here to download the repair tool.
  • Adobe Creative Cloud Repair Tool has completed successfully. Please restart Creative Cloud.
  • And so on.

This vast post doesn't even cover half of the oddities, glitches, foibles, bugs, features, and breakdowns I've encountered in Bridge 2023. Judging from the support forums, it seems like I'm not alone.

Adobe, if you're listening: if you really did forget about Bridge until last week, you should have just told us. We'd have understood -- it's a busy time, and besides, who hasn't, at some point in their life, forgotten about a class or a report or a product or a child? We are all but fallible creatures.

Here's my advice in case this happens again: next time, instead of releasing the Cyberpunk 2077 of productivity software with your otherwise solidly-engineered tools, why not use that Adobe Money to buy thirty million Imatch licenses and just bundle that with Creative Suite instead? That program has its idiosyncrasies, sure, but it works as advertised. Think how much easier it would be than trying to catch up technologically with... uh... a DAM made by a single person working out of his home.

TOPICS
Bug , Crash or freeze , Feature request , Metadata , Performance , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Hi,

Many of the issues reported in the thread are fixed in the latest patch release #13.0.1.583. Please install and confirm if that fixes the issue.
You can refer to the issues fixed in the patch at the following link https://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/kb/fixed-issues.html

Thanks,
Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 121 Replies 121
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to keep a copy of Bridge 23 in order to do HDRs. Other than that, I keep it hidden. It's not even in my dock because seeing it reminds me how bad it is. I pay a lot of Apple tax, and if I wanted my GUI to resemble Windoze I would buy a box and get with the program... I just had to do some HDRs in B23 and after I boot the program, each image splurps and blurps in and out of focus, goes missing, re-appears and then settles. Folders appear in triplicate, but are unclick-able. It's a dogs dinner, a pigs ear, a cow's ar*e of a program now. I optimistically updated it and it still sucks exactly the same. My theory is that Adobe are running it into the ground deliberately so that we are 'forced' to migrate to the truly awful Lightroom. Sh*teroom more like

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well stated... 

I've already moved away from several of Adobes programs and now considering the unthinkable 😞 

Cheers, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No entiendo que una empresa como Adobe , Nº1 Mundial con muchos de sus programnas, esté dejando que sus programas tengan estos fallos......

Primero era Bridge.... que los fallos hacen que sea un programa "basurilla"

Pero es que ultimamente el "GRAN PHOTOSHOP"  esta olvidado también.....

No paran de sacar actualizaciones en las que siguen apareciendo los mismos fallos, o más!!!!

Y siempre se le echa la culpa al Hardware.....

Dejad la inteligencia artificial y centraros en controlar vuestra inteligencia...... y arreglad estos fallos!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that post obviously whoever realeased the update never actually tried it. Been through it with the updates since yesterday.See below for an issue I've had

Ive seen comments about not being able to open raw images from Bridge into Photoshop unless you right click on image and select photoshop.

I think I might have discovered the problem .

I always view & select my images from my cards in Bridge and copy them over through Bridge. And this is where the problem is I think. So if I just transfer my images through finder on my desktop there seems to be no problem opening them in Photoshop. Hopefully this sorts it out but its still very annoying that something so simple doesnt work its a pity Adobe dont spend more time sorting out the basics

Luckily I had a realivity quiet week so I could do some updates and allow for this. Word of advice never do any updates without allowing for this kind of thing to happen & if it all goes ass up a Time Machine back up could be a life saver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE PLEASE please clarify so I don't waste any more time attempting to find or see any of my Adobe Cloud Documents in Bridge. I have versions of Illustrator files - some are aic files some are ai  .  I keep trying to figure out how to effectively make use of Cloud Documents but keep running into this confusion.  There seems to be NO way to organize my file versions other than by using my Creative Cloud SYNC folder.  (I regret having purchased an iPadPro a year ago, not realizing the Illustrator app limitations and need to use Cloud Documents OR convert, redownload files and save to my CC sync folder.

Suggestions welcome -- I keep thinking I'm missing something or just don't know HOW to use the tools. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2023 Jul 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I am late to this party. Over the years, I usually am more on the side of updating my Adobe Suite as those updates come out. However, 2022 broke me somehow. Not somehow, I think there were a lot of signals in the 2022 what would be a trend in frustrating, bloated, and unneccessary updates (see Premiere).

I work at an Organization that deals in high volume creative output of all types and mediums. In short, almost the entirety of the Adobe Suite is open on my desktop at any given time. We just rolled out 2023 this week (see, late to the game!) and for the most part it is what it is. But yesterday as I was wrapping my day with QC and file managment, I booted up Bridge 2023 thinking all would be as expected, and my jaw dropped, and my face fell into the palm of my hands. By the way, I work in a Windows environment. I litterally froze, staring at a white hot file bar burning through my monitor, icons every which way from Sunday, UI contast levels designed to drive you crazy. I froze, hesitated, and then closed Bridge. I couldn't do it. And I'm afraid to face it again. I will, because I have no other choice.

Anyways, long vented story. The gist is this, in my opinion the Adobe release and feature creep cycle has a trend of frustration over improvement. I have found that simple tasks have become more difficult (e.g., requiring more clicks) with changes to UI that are questionable (for who?). I think there is this need to constatnly change and update software, now that we are in this subscription model to compete with a trend or news cycle in an attempt to attract new users, leaving the tried and true users frustrated as they try to make sense of software that should be second hand to them.

There is a real thing alled feature creep and bloat. This is what we have to look ahead to now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2023 Jul 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone posted a while back a theory that Adobe is intentionally sabotaging bridge to eventually migrate everyone to Lightroom.

I hope to cat they are wrong on that, but what can you do besides lie awake at night, terrified and afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've a solution for this (maybe).

Start the Adobe Bridge 2023 with Admin rights (right klick on icon), this will solve it, i will tell Adobe about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems they are still going strong with Bridge.
They released a new version today and it seems good so far.
Opening more than one Bridge window is now possible. HURRAY.
Here is the announcement post : Adobe Bridge 14.0 is now available

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So well written. intalled, uninstalled bridge like almost 10 times now.. the worst software ever.. only if we were not used to it..

wish we could collectively come together and file for the time we are all wasting.. i'm sure a few billion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed Photo Mechanic.  The speed that it produces thumbnails is unreal.  It's like being on a new computer. I always thought bridge/lightroom's problem was that it was having to read from a hard drive and it was just the volume of data that made it slow - but no.  Apparently not.  

blerg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed a trial version of Photo Mechanic and I am amazed: I have had shoots with over 3000 shots and Photomechanic works like a warm knife through butter. What a great app. And it shows: it is possible to view and rate many many photos without lagging, bugging and waiting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photmechanic is expensive, thats the biggest problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photo Mechanic is not only expensive, but also laser-focused on photographer's workflows.  You also work with Illustrator, InDesign, need to preview PDFs or SVGs or Video? Too bad, you're out of luck.

One of the best aspects of Bridge is its broad file format support. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to your post, I too downloaded the Photo Mechanic trial.  And I too am blown away by how fast it is.  It has a few quirks and I'm still learning how to use it, but it's already saved me literally hours of time waiting on Bridge.

I'll keep Bridge because it's "free."  I'll probably open Bridge once a month, rather than twice a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mystery solved
My favorite Ctrl N is back now with Bridge 14 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 24, 2023 Sep 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge 14.0.0.102 is also a glitchy mess.  Adobe has real competitors now, and has reacted by ignoring what's broken and devoting thier effort to adding new features.  IMHO, new features don't mean much which basic functionality that I've come to rely on doesn't work, or is so slow that I waste hours every week just waiting on Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2023 Sep 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge 2022 did not need to be modified. Not sure why Adobe felt the need
to rush to make changes. It is now a hot mess!

Honestly, I would be willing to pay extra to be able to use Bridge 2022 in
perpetuity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic post. It's only too sad that today almost one year later to the date nothing has changed. I just updated bridge which was (at best) working acceptably. Now I can't even open the app. Bridge has always been a piece of engineering garbage but this is ridiculous. I think they gave the latest update to some 5th graders as a "learn to code" project and this is what we god. I'm happy to see others in addition to me that are not afraid to call Adobe out for their debacles. Those of you who are "new" to Adobe products take heed to what is being said in these forums because, after 30 years of using Adobe products, they  are all true. Adobe is still lthe king of crap regardless of their new "AI" features. It's all smoke and mirrors. For all their crap and excuses get to pay them a monthly fee. Needless to say, we've switched to other apps for every other situation except still editing for which we need the psd support (until we convert everything to tiff). DxO is looking pretty good these days and Davinci Resolve has been our workhorse now for the past 4 years as it handles video, audio and graphics all in one. We don't give a crap about AI. We just need a tool to work so we can seamlessly conduct our business as usual. Adobe never understood that and never will. It's been our dream for over a decade to see Adobe receive a complete overhaul and change in management to get back to the user and not shareholder. If that happened we would gladly entertain revisiting their offerings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At long as Bridge 12 still works everything is acceptable.

Ask yourself this. If Bridge 13 and 14 were free would you use it? Yet we
are all paying for it!

I really don't care that they are a hot mess. Just don't take away Bridge
12!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2023 Dec 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't ever make "get photos from camera" to work on my MacBook Pro 16?! How can this be so bugged? Here is a funny one. Bridge works much better on my 6 year old windows desktop build than my Uber favorite MacBook Pro. Why adobe. I have used bridge since the beginnng of time. It is a mess now. I am so frustrated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines