• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need a script to update keywords for 20000 images in Bridge

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an excel with filename in column A and keywords in column B. I wish to update the keywords tab in bridge using a script. Please let me know if there is any pre written script available which I can use.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 09, 2016 Apr 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you save the Excel to CSV you could use. DIY Metadata

Another solution  would be to use Exiftool ExifTool by Phil Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried to use DIY Metadata but when it execute it I get an error message saying the file doesnt exist. Is it because of the format in which the data is stored in CSV file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The filename should be in the first column I.E. filename.jpg and the file should exist in the selected folder or a sub folder if the relevant checkbox is ticked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don’t use the Bridge script, then I can help with ExifTool (both methods have their pros/cons).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen. Thanks for the quick reply. I would be more than happy if you could guide me with Exiftool.

I have downloaded the tool. All I need is to now how to use it.

Link to the excel file:

Dropbox - Workbook1.xlsx

Tanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shashi88, are you on Mac or Windows OS?

The basic ExifTool commands are the same, however there are some minor formatting differences required in some cases, such as the Mac uses 'single quotes' to wrap around a file path and file name that contains word spaces, while on Windows, "double quotes" are used (they are not really quotes, they are inch and foot marks, straight not curly).

P.S. Are the images all in a single directory, or are they contained in a main parent/top-level folder and then within subsequent second-level, third-level etc nested folders?

Do you need to apply the keywords to a single specific file type, multiple file types or do you need to exclude specific file types?

Finally, are there existing keywords to be overwritten or do you wish to append?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2016 Apr 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on windows. As for the images, all are in a single parent directory plus the format is JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DIY Metatada would not work for you as the file in not in the correct format, you do not have the filenames in the first column also your keywords would need to have a seperator of a semicolon not a comma.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to install in CS6 and CC, the startup script appears in a MetaData menu under “DIY Custom Metadata” – however I can’t get the script to work. I have tried selecting a file, a folder or nothing… however selecting the script does not do anything? User error I presume! :]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an example csv, note double quotes are not used.

//////////////////////////////////

FileName,Keywords

filename.jpg,keyword1;keyword2,yet another keyword

filename2.jpg,key1;key2;key3

///////////////////////////////

To Use:-

Navigate to the folder where the files are.

D.I.Y Metadata

You would only tick Keyword 1

Select the CSV

Click Process

Thats all there is to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This script runs on Windows in CC (a GUI is generated), however I can’t get it to work on Mac El Capitan in either CS6 or CC (no GUI is generated)…

EDIT: This appears to be related to the font GEORGIA not being active, so either install/activate the font or change the font in the script into something available such as HELVETICA…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe fonts are a common problem on Macs

ScriptUI in Bridge is abysmal since CS5 so it does not surprise me that it didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow, thank you so much for the tip about the plugin not working due to the font Georgia missing. This was totally the case for me and I am beyond happy that I'm able to use this script again. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may wish to try DIY Metadata again adjusting your source .csv file as SuperMerlin noted

As ExifTool is command line interface based and not GUI, you may prefer to use the Bridge script option!

USING EXIFTOOL – PART A:

Before using ExifTool, one should backup all files first. By default ExifTool will create duplicate files, leaving the original files untouched but renamed for safety. So you may need at least double the free hard drive space available as the images being processed. If you have backed up your files, then you could skip the part where files are duplicated for safety.

I also recommend duping a small amount of files to a test directory, then testing that everything works in this test folder, before running on a large batch of images.

Just as there are specific file input requirements for the DIY Metadata script, ExifTool also has requirements of how import data should be formatted…

Firstly, let’s use ExifTool to recursively export the source filename and file system path and the keywords to CSV, in order to ascertain what format is required for the input CSV file (the example below is using Windows OS formatting). I created a test folder and sub-folder with files that were keyworded in order to “reverse engineer” the required info.

Run the Windows Command Prompt and enter the following data (be careful of copy/paste as it can change characters such as straight inch to curly double quote marks). Note that ‘Currentuser’ needs to be replaced with the username of Windows account user that is currently logged in (I have syntax highlighted the CLI code below to help break it up visually into it’s components):

exiftool -csv -r -subject "C:\Users\Currentuser\Desktop\test" > "C:\Users\Currentuser\Desktop\test\meta out.csv"

ExifTool will recursively scan the images found in the desktop folder titled ‘test’ Which returns a .csv file titled ‘meta out.csv’ inside the folder ‘test’ on the desktop of the current logged in user.

The contents of the ‘meta out.csv’ file reads as:

SourceFile,Subject

C:/Users/Currentuser/Desktop/test/META 1.jpg,"keyword1, keyword-A"

C:/Users/Currentuser/Desktop/test/META-2.jpg,keyword2

C:/Users/Currentuser/Desktop/test/sub_folder/META_3.jpg,subject3

What does this mean in relation to our input spreadsheet .CSV file?

1. We need specific column headers titled ‘SourceFile’ and 'Subject'.
  2. We need both an absolute source path and source filename in our .csv file.
  3. The separator for a .csv file should be a comma.
  4. If there are multiple keywords, they need to be enclosed within inch marks using a comma separator.

We will now need to format our import file to suit these requirements. In your particular case, if “63679573” is the filename and the format is JPEG, you will need to add both the file path prefix and the file extension suffix to the name. If you need help in adding the file path prefix or the filename extension suffix of .jpg to your existing filenames, then it is easy enough to do so using a spreadsheet formula, or a regular expression capable text editor or even with textmechanic.com (the same is also true for enclosing your existing keywords with inch marks at the start/end).

If you need help with this text manipulation, let the forum know.

You can upload another sample file to dropbox when you have edited it if you like.

Let the forum know when you are ready to move onto the next stage of using ExifTool…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

USING EXIFTOOL – PART B:

Before using ExifTool, one should backup all files first. By default ExifTool will create duplicate files, leaving the original files untouched but renamed for safety. So you may need at least double the free hard drive space available as the images being processed. If you have backed up your files, then you could skip the part where files are duplicated for safety.

I also recommend duping a small amount of files to a test directory, then testing that everything works in this test folder, before running on a large batch of images.

The following command will use the correctly formatted .CSV structure as mentioned in the previous PART A post to recursively update a folder/sub-folders of only JPEG files with the required keywords (backup copies of the original files will be created):

exiftool -sep ", " -r -csv="C:\Users\Currentuser\Desktop\Keyword Spreadsheet.csv" -ext jpg "C:\Users\Currentuser\Desktop\Folder Full of JPEG Files" -r

Adding the -overwrite_original_in_place switch will overwrite the originals without creation a backup (use with caution, ensure you have a backup of the files):

exiftool -sep ", " -r -csv="C:\Users\Currentuser\Desktop\Keyword Spreadsheet.csv" -ext jpg "C:\Users\Currentuser\Desktop\Folder Full of JPEG Files" -overwrite_original_in_place -r

Even though it has been stated that there is only a single top level folder with no sub-folders and that the folder only contains JPEG files, I have included the -r (recursively) and -ext jpg (only JPG extension files) command line switches in these examples.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines