• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: LrC 12.2.1 fails to start/launch or is extremely slow launching.

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

LRC 12.2.1 is not starting anymore, just launches as a background process using significant amounts of RAM and CPU, but the visible window never shows up. 

I have already:

- Tried the alt-shift-click thingie.

- Tried logging out and in from CC.

- Wiping all data files from the computer and letting LRC create a fresh Lightroom folder and catalog file (sometimes it does that, sometimes it hangs before the folder is created). 

- Wiping all Adobe products with the cleaner tool and reinstalling just LRC.

- I have even formatted and reisntalled the computer (becuase it was a good time to do that anyway).

But LRC still fails. What to do next?

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎17.‎03.‎2023
OS build 19045.2728
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

One of our Prerelease Testers has a bug logged for this and we've referenced this thread to that existing bug. 

Workaround:
The team has verified this workaround has no risks. Until we can release an update, please follow these steps:

• Close LrC if open
    (the file will not show if Lightroom is open)

• Locate metrics.json file at this location: 

Mac: /Users/<username>/Library/Caches/Adobe/Lightroom/metrics.json
    (Note that Mac has two Libraries
    Make sure you are in the User Library and not the System
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Greetings all,

Updates for Adobe Photography products have been released.  The April 2023 updates contain a final fix for this issue. After installing 12.3 it should be no longer necessary to monitor and delete the metrics.json file.

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 438 Replies 438
438 Comments
New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has any one had issues with their lightroom getting stuck on the load screen?Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 8.47.53 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me. LrC opens but after that it freezes. It was working fine before the last upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue for me too. how did you solve the problem?

thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Lightroom Classic freezes, first thing to try is resetting your preferences:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The splash screen is stuck on Reading preferences, which indicates that the preferences are corrupted, and will need to be reset.

If you're on Windows,  open the task manager, and make sure that Lightroom is not running in the background.

Then click the shortcut to launch Lightroom, and immediately press Shift + Alt, and this dialog will appear. (might just be flashing in the taskbar) Click Yes.

image_2021-05-10_212910.png

For Mac, I qoute from from this page: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/preference-file-and-other-file-locations.html

It appears that you need to delete the preferences manually first,

File locations in macOS

Note: The user Library file is hidden by defaultr. For temporary access to the user Library file, press Option and choose Go > Library in the Finder.

The Lightroom Classic application file /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic/Adobe Lightroom Classic.app

Preferences

• Lightroom Classic: /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7.plist

On macOS, after you delete the above file, restart your computer, then relaunch Lightroom Classic while holding the shift + option. In the dialog, select Reset Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your help, I did all you suggest but it doesn't seem to
work: after I re-run Lightroom the splash screen is still stuck on "reading
preferences" with the rainbow wheel (MacOs) running...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you reboot your computer after deleting the prefs file?

You may also find the instructions given here clearer:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I did. I also followed the instructions you suggest, but nothing happened.

I asked Adobe support, and they told me my system (MacOS Sierra) is too old and must be upgraded.

hopefully so...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody! After I upgraded to MacOS Big Sur, nothing changes: Lightroom still stuk on the splash screen with "reading preferences". I followed again all your instructions, without success...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and found no solution. Its unbelievable thatthey charge forr the app theres no help.  Did you found a solution ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

long time Lightroom (classic) and Photoshop user. I have the Adobe Creative Cloud Photo plan. Running the applications on an iMac.

Everything (LRC, LRCC, Bridge, PS) was running fine until last week Lightroom Classic stopped launching.

Usually I start Lightroom Classic from the Creative Cloud, occasionally from its own icon.

SInce last week Lightroom Classic stops/hangs during launch. It is displaying the Lightroom Classic Splashscreen with the line "Reading preferences..." and there it just stops.

No crash, no error, nothing. For hours.

Here is the strange part:

Of course I tried launching with cleared or no preferences (launching while pressing some keys, I can't remember right now). No change. Hangs at launch.

When I uninstall Lightroom Classic and remove all Lightroom files in the global and userspecific Library folders and re-install Lightroom Classic again, it usually works fine.

For about a day until it hangs at launch again.

As I had no trouble with Lightroom at all over the last years I try to link this to one of two changes I did last week:

- installing Fujitsu ScanSnap software for a document scanner I own

- installing Logitech Options for a new Logitech MX Keys keyboard and a Logitech MX Master 3 mouse (connected via the Logitech "bolt" dongle.

I removed both software products as thoroughly as I can. I even switched back to my old Apple keyboard and trackpad.

Same situation. Lightroom Classic works as a fresh install, but stops launching after about a day.

Question:
Is Lightroom Classic on a Mac writing any significant logfiles, which may help me find at what step it does fail?

I do know my way around the command line and in the Mac's filesystem. Just a pointer to where I should look would be helpful.

Cheers,

Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry about the trouble with Lightroom Classic. Would you mind sharing the version of the operating system you are using? Make sure there isn't any pending updates left for your operating system. Is it possible if you could share the screenshot of the issue?

Try resetting the preferences of Lightroom Classic by:  https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Backup your preferences before resetting by: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/preference-file-and-other-file-locations.html

Note: Make sure that Lightroom Classic is not running in the background. You can check that in the Activity Monitor, close the application before resetting the preferences.

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Tarun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tarun,

I'm on the latest macOS Monterey 12.1 - there are no pending updates.

A screenshot of the issue would just be the Lightroom classic Splashscreen.

I have reset the Lighroom preferences. Acutally I tried various ways to do that from starting with Shift-Option pressed and select preferences and I tried with manual deleting [username]/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7.plist

The issue ramains the same:

Once I do a fresh install Lightroom Classic it runs fine for several hours. During that time I can start and stop it without issues.

After some hours the start doesn't work anymore - LR Classic just "hangs" at the SplashScreen.

Nothing works at that point. Deletion of preferences, new catalog, deletion of caches - even deletion of "SLCache" and "SLStore" in /Library/Application Support/Adobe. All without success.

At this point only an un-install followed by a fresh new install does allow me to start LR Classic again.

Best regards,

Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to add:
This issue affects only LR Classic (I'm on 11.1).
Photoshop, LR CC and Bridge are running fine all the time.

I'm working on this problem now for a couple of days and I'm ready to try nearly everything with chances of success. If it means de-installing all Adobe Cloud software and re-installing - fine. If it means throwing away my old catalog and create a new one from scratch - fine.

Cheers,

Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this exact same problem running LRC11.1 on Catalina 10.15.7.  10.3 seems to run OK so far, I uninstalled LRC11.1, removed all the files I could find from 11.1 including in Library and did a new install of 10.3. It is a pity as 11.1 worked immediately after first install and I could confirm the new mask features worked well. After letting the computer go to sleep and reawaken LRC refused to start beyond the splash screen. Totally weird.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you perhaps have your preferences set for Prompt Me (to select a catalog)?

Prompt me option for selecting a catalog when starting Lightroom dialog, picking Preferences from Menu causes a crash. This is a known bug and it has been reported to Adobe. For the time being, don't pick this option, it is in the queue for a fix.

If not, resetting preferences is the next thing to try: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi colinham, hi digitaldog,

it's somewhat comforting to hear that I'm not the only one with this totally weird issue.

But then again, it's frightening at the same time 😉

No, I had not "Prompt Me" selected, but an option where my standard catalog will loaded everytime. (I can't check how that option is called, because right now LR Classic is again refusing to start)

I'll definetly install 10.3 and see if that works for me. 

I wouldn't mind going back to 10.3 as long as it can still sync with the Adobe Cloud storage.

Cheers,

Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And before I forget:

• Yes, I have deleted the Preferences as described in that link (multiple times).
  • I tried setting GPU acceleration to Auto, to manual and to off.
  • I tried with the default plugins, with all Plugins disabled and with my two extra plugins (JPEGmini & Fuji Tether Pro).

All to no effect at all.

Cheers,

Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try logging into another account (you may need to make one), still crashing? 
Try starting up in Safe mode (hold down Shift Key when booting), still crashing? 
You might want to try running a free utility like Onyx: still crashing? 
https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html
Also view:
https://www.macworld.com/article/352902/onyx-review-macos.html
https://www.macworld.com/article/224955/how-to-reset-a-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html
From Adobe:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-troubleshooting.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have "downgraded" to LR Classic 10.3 and so far it launches fine.

Unfortunately 10.3 tells me: "Upgrade Required for Lightroom - Lightroom must be upgraded before it can continue syncing with Lighroom."

As one of my two workflows requires image import via LR mobile on iPad and then sync over Adobe Creative Cloud to LR and LR Classic on my iMac, I'm afraid this will not be a permanent solution for me.

My second workflow is tethered shooting in to LR Classic on the iMac and for that scenario 10.3 would be fine for now for me.

Cheers,

Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you thatdigitaldog !
All good pointers and all things I haven't tried yet.

I will work through those tonight.

Cheers,

Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR Classic 10.3 did not show the issue for the last 24 hours.

This one is with a new (empty) catalog and completely default preferences.

Today I ran the suggested OnyX system maintenance.

I cleared my NVRAM as described.

10.3 still launched fine.

Next I updated to 11.1 (as I need the cloud sync).

New catalog created and still on 100% default preferences.

An hour later 11.1 hangs again at the launch splash screen and can only be stopped by "Force Quit".

The problem is definetly related to the 11.x version of LR Classic.

Cheers,

Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what changed in the end, but on the n-th re-installation of Lightroom Classic 11.1 it now launches ok. Even with my old catalog.

The last thing I did was what I did a few dozen times before:

• ensure LR Classic is NOT running
  • delete the preference file ~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7.plist
  • restart the iMac
  • hold Opt and Shift and click on the LR Classic icon
  • in the pop dialog select to start with fresh preferences

I'm absolutely positive I did the same steps many times over in the last few days.

So far it's been about 20 hours and LR still launches. Even with my two plugins active.

Cheers,

Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Latest Mac OS, everything up to date. Trashed preferences a few times, restarted, reinstalled Lightroom Classic, tried different user, held down option+shift. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the nagging feeling the problem isn't actually on the client side (where LR runs).

In the past few days the problem appeared again. Then disappeared again, without me doing anything. Then came back.

I have no idea if some cloud communication or integrity check or something is running at that point of the startup but from the experience I made over last few days the issue appears to be random and not related at all to all the loops and hoops I was jumping through.

Cheers,

Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate