• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Files edited in Photoshop are returned to LrC missing one of the metadata date fields

Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2023 Dec 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Date" is one of the filter options in Lightroom Classic's library module.  When I take a raw file (with all date fields) and "Edit in Adobe Photoshop 2024", the file that is returned to Lightroom shows up as "Unknown" in that date filter.  A "sync" operation between the old and new files is needed to restore the date information.

This has been an issue for a few months, and wasn't fixed in the last update.

Running LR Classis 13.1, Photoshop 25.3.1, on Windows 10

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

The team was able to reproduce this and have logged a bug for this misbehavior. Thank you for your report. 

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
6 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

I observe the same misbehavior -- TIFFs produced from raws by Edit In Adobe Photoshop sometimes appear with date Unknown in the Date column of the Metadata browser. 

The easiest workaround is to select the TIFF that shows with date Unknown and do Metadata > Read Metadata From File.

To reproduce with LR 13.1, PS 25.3.1, Mac OS 14.1:

1. Optional: In the Creative Cloud desktop app, uninstall Photoshop and Lightroom Classic. (Steps 1-3 demonstrate that the traditional magic incantation doesn't avoid this bug.)

2. Install Photoshop.

3. Install Lightroom Classic.

4. Download, unzip, and open this catalog:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9l6flfr313xphhd/photoshop-date.2023.12.30.zip?dl=0

5. In Preferences > External Editing, set these options:

johnrellis_0-1703995770968.png

6. Open the Metadata browser with the Date column, and observe that the raw is listed under 2023/11/5.

7. Select the one raw photo and in Develop, change Exposure, then go back to Library.

8. Do Metadata > Save Metadata To File.

9. Do Photo > Edit In > Edit In Adobe Photoshop.

10. In PS, close and save the file.

11. Immediately switch back to LR before the TIFF is imported.

12. Repeat steps 7 - 11 until you observe one of the TIFFs listed as Unknown in the Date column:

johnrellis_2-1703997660587.png

It may take many repetitions of steps 7-11 for this to happen -- I've seen it take up to 12 iterations. (It's clearly a race condition.)

13. Select that newest TIFF and do Metadata > Read Metadata From File. Observe that it is now shown under the same date as the other files:

johnrellis_3-1703997773305.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography, please consider moving to Bugs -- see my bug recipe above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2023 Dec 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for adding this detail.  I had been about to experiment with how to consistently reproduce the problem, and you nailed it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 01, 2024 Jan 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've asked the team to weigh in on whether this is LrC or PS's bug. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The team was able to reproduce this and have logged a bug for this misbehavior. Thank you for your report. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Rikk Flohr: PhotographyThanks for getting this into the queue.  Please also look at this additional Library module problem, which popped up at about the same time, to see if it can get into the 'bug' queue as well.   https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-classic-filters-stop-updating...

Votes

Translate

Translate