• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Edit in Photoshop sends it to the Photoshop Beta, not 2023. No option to choose.

Explorer ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping for some help here. I am on a PC and have the latest versions of Photoshop and Lightroom Classic. I wanted to download and try the new Photoshop Beta so I downloaded it from the Adobe Creative Cloud and it installed fine. BUT - when I use Lightroom and choose EDIT IN - ADOBE PHOTOSHOP 2023 it opens the BETA version. It does not give me an option to choose WHICH Photoshop version I want to use. Uninstalling the Beta basically kills the ability to send an image from Lightroom Classic to Photoshop at all and the only way to get things back is to uninstall the beta and then uninstall Photoshop CC 2023 THEN reinstall Photoshop. I'd love to play with the beta and be able to choose which version of Photoshop I want to use when sending images from Lightroom Classic.

I've seen some videos where the option to select which version of photoshop you want to use is selectable from a dropdown menu but this was on a Mac and not a PC. Any help is appreciated!
James

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Greetings all, 

The team has responded and it turns out this is a Photoshop bug. Rather than bury it in Photoshop forum we are going to keep this primary thread in the Lightroom Classic forum.  Once the PS team fixes the bug, the Classic team will update the implementation for the Windows instance. 

Thank you for your reports!

Follow this thread for updates as they are available.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
90 Comments
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Preferences -> External Editing, the very top item is a dropdown list of the installed Photoshop versions. Do you see that?

Are you for sure running Lightroom Classic V 12.3? Check in the Help menu System Info.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the 'link' between Lightroom Classic and Photoshop has issues, one of the first things to try is this:
1. Use the Adobe Creative Cloud application to uninstall both Photoshop and Lightroom Classic and when asked, keep preferences. 
2. Install Photoshop first, then Lightroom Classic. The order of the product installed is what is very important here.
Better? 

And in terms of installing Photoshop and the order, I suspect beta vs. non will be important too. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - I see that. It does not add the Beta (or any other PS version). It always shows Photoshop 2023.  The drop down has nothing under it when I click it.

I have kept my software 100% up to date. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actual version #?  Up to date isn't always what you think.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not add the Beta (or any other PS version). It always shows Photoshop 2023.  The drop down has nothing under it when I click it.

I believe this is a bug in version 12.3 that affects some Windows users. (works fine for me)

I couldn't find anything using the forum search, maybe @Rikk Flohr: Photography can shed some light on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KR Seals - 

Lightroom Classic Version 12.3, 

Photoshop 24.4.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Photoshop 24.4.1 and Photoshop Beta installed everything is fine with open in from LRC pickes the latest verion of Photoshop 24.4.1 but when an update for Beta is installed that becomes the version LRC opens as the defualt only way I have found to fix it is to remove PS and reinstall until the next time.

This is on Windows 11 desktop

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A number of Windows users have also reported this, which seems a work in progress. 

If you want to try this, it may help but no guarantees with the beta vs release version. 

1. Use the Adobe Creative Cloud application to uninstall both Photoshop and Lightroom Classic and when asked, keep preferences. 

2. Install Photoshop first, then Lightroom Classic. The order of the product installed is what is very important here. 

Better? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also change the setting in the Windows Registry manually.

See here: 'Edit In Photoshop' command missing (adobe.com)

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2023 May 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting as I have same problem. Using latest version sof Windows 11 and Adobe LR Classic and PS Beta. Tried all th fixes. No luck. LR opens image in Beta no matter what. Had to uninstall. Will try again in a few weeks. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Not able to select which version of Photoshop to edit in from Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anyone from Adobe monitoring this community?  I'd like to get this resolved so I can use the beta. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although this is not the ideal solution, I found that Lightroom will send the image to whichever version of Photoshop is open even though it says Photoshop 2023. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anyone from Adobe monitoring this community?  I'd like to get this resolved so I can use the beta. 

By @jamesp52202766

From Adobe (community forums):

"Currently, the community on community.adobe.com is used as a destination for customers to ask questions and engage in peer-to-peer conversations. IOW, this is a user-to-user support forum. The Adobe Support Community is a place to ask questions, find answers, learn from experts, and share your knowledge. Because we are a community used by people of all ages, cultures, and people at work, we carefully moderate its content".

If you have problems or need answers from other users who volunteer their time to help, do so in a discussion topic and message body, whereby you post specifics (what's the problem or issue, or the question) and provide some information about your operating system, version of the software you're asking about and steps to illustrate your problem.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-fine-tune-the-subject-line-of-your-ad...

If you want Adobe to be viewing what you post, there are two ways based on what you are hoping to report:

If you wish to report what you believe is a bug, you do so by following these guidelines:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12373403

If you wish to provide a feature request, you do so by following these guidelines (then make a request in the product forum):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/how-do-i-write-a-feature-request/idi-p/123863...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all, 

The team has responded and it turns out this is a Photoshop bug. Rather than bury it in Photoshop forum we are going to keep this primary thread in the Lightroom Classic forum.  Once the PS team fixes the bug, the Classic team will update the implementation for the Windows instance. 

Thank you for your reports!

Follow this thread for updates as they are available.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2023 May 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry only just got back from leave tried this but didnt fix the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I had got this message BEFORE I installed Photoshop Beta on my Mac yesterday. I found the Beta so annoying and uninspiring that uninstalled it through Adobe Cloud. Now I am in the same situation. I cannot open images processed in Lightroom in Photoshop. I will go through the recommended drill and uninstall and reinstall Photoshop and Lightroom Classic, too, if I have to but it is a super aggravation and waste of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's working now. I did the uninstall reinstall and once again, I can process in Lightroom Classic and open in Photoshop 2023 - but it did waste my time when I did not have time to waste. I guess this risk goes along with trying out a Beta. I will be reluctant to do so in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also found that the Lightroom file will open into whatever version of Photoshop is already open. I am unable to choose Beta in Lightroom at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed Photoshop (beta). Now when I edit foto's from lightroom in photoshop, it opens it with beta and not photoshop 2023 as previous. Hoe do I fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am here because I stumbled into this mess installing the beta and then uninstalling it when I got the Lightroom Classic-to-Photoshop photo transfer problem described here.  Annoying!  But I am not here to pile onto the well-deserved complaints.  Instead, I have a question about the uninstall remedy described in this thread: If I uninstall Photoshop, do I lose my settings (workspace), fonts, brushes, etc?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was doing exactly what "Michel Bérubé" mentioned and it works. This is a better workaround that uninstalling and reinstalling the softwares. I hope Adobe comes up with the solution sooner. Thank you !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not for me.  It always opens now in PS Beta.  Since Beta did not pick up my settings, I'm uninstalling it for now.  It did do an absolutely beautiful job of removing a piece of a car and completing a bicycle wheel which was behind the car...  So sad...  I geuss this is why I almost never play with betas. 

Votes

Translate

Translate