• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Low quality previews/rotated thumbnails on direct import to device

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi .. on importing to LR mobile via a camera device (SD card via reader) the images have suddenly started to appear blurred and pixelated. 

I have plenty of cloud storage free and this has only started recently.. prior to this all appeared clear and sharp .. allowing them to be reviewed prior to import.

see sample image 

any help greatly appreciated 😁

Bug Started
TOPICS
iOS: iPhone , iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Hello again All,

You will now see an update version 8.4 for the Lightroom app, in the iOS Appstore.  Version 8.4 reverts to the behavior of the previous release.  Thumbnails will be sharper again, but some thumbs will appear in the wrong orientation.

We believe Apple will likely provide a fix for the orientation issue in their next iOS update.  That should correct the orientation issue without needing an additional LR app update.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Setting status to Started. Adobe has done the work on our end, but we still await an iOS update to make this matter whole. 

Thank you for your patience.

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 115 Replies 115
115 Comments
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom for IPad: V8.1.1

Ipad OS: 16.2

I plug in my sd card reader (have tried with different ones and get the same result), then insert the SD Card and go to Lightroom. Select import from camera device, but when I pinch to zoom on a portrait photo, it turns landscape and cuts off most of the photo. I've included the video below as an example. 

I prefer to do a round of selection in the import stage before doing final ratings, and would love to be able to zoom and decide which photos I'd like to import, but can't do so fairly if a big part of the image gets cut off and also rotated when pinching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Lightroom on my iPad and when I connect my SD card via adapter and go to the preview import screen, the portrait oriented photos are auto rotating to Landscape and it's really frustrating! I can't pinch and twist the image to see the full image, but when I do click import, the image is in portrait aspect in my library, just not on the preview screen. This is no good! Help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jonathan281410090rch 

Since your question is about Lightroom for ipadOS, I have moved this from the Photoshop forum where you posted.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue. It happens on my phone too and started with the latest app update. Images will initially render with correct orientation but then as the quality version loads it takes anything shot in portrait and renders it in landscape, but the preview "box" stays portrait making it so you no cannot see the full image. I know most people import everything and then cull but I find the workflow tremendously easier if I only import what I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @GabeSuazo 

Thanks for the screen capture.  I see you trying to zoom in past the maximum thumb size, and in that temporary over-zoomed state the camera rotation metadata is being forgotten.  

The only workaround I can recommend is to stay at the maximum thumbnail size, proceed to select and import image you want to cull further before editing or organizing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When plugging in an SD card to iPad, the import window rotates all vertical photos and crops the preview. Very frustrating as I cannot judge composition.

- Possible similar to https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-ecosystem-cloud-based-discussions/photos-in-import-box-rota...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about this issue that you are experiencing with the images on the connected SD Card. To help us figure out and resolve this issue, some more info would be helpful. Could you provide us the following details: 

1. Any particular photo formats that display this wrong orientation?

2. Any edits have been applied to these photos on SD Card?

3. Which OS your device is running on?

4. What is the app version you have installed?

5. How many images are on the SD Card?

6. Is the space available on device enough?

7. Is it possible to attach some images that show this behavior, for me to try to reproduce on my end?

Any other detail that you would have for us that might be helpful in reproducing this issue on our end?

Regards

Kavita 

Lightroom Quality Team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am having exact same issue here, but it does not seem to be related to zoom level in the import window--regardless of zoom level, Lightroom is moving vertical shots to horizontal and cropping them, leaving me with now way to preview them before importing. Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a video of it happening in the import process from an SD card https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlqV-WC9j4Y

What to look for: The portrait images are shown correctly as protrait, as Lightroom shows their box in portrait. The initial image renders, and when the final image renders it's rotated to landscape but stays within the portrait box, and now you can't see the whole thing. If you try to pinch/zoom the image stays as portrait-forced-to-landscape and you can't see the entire image.

1. Any particular photo formats that display this wrong orientation? - Everything here is JPEG shot on Fuji

2. Any edits have been applied to these photos on SD Card? Yes but only after importing to Lightoom. No edits stored on the card

3. Which OS your device is running on? iPad OS 16.3.1 and on an iPhone iOS 16.3.1

4. What is the app version you have installed? 8.2.1 DD0857/26

5. How many images are on the SD Card? a few thousand in the video but it does this with one image or thousands

6. Is the space available on device enough? Yes

7. Is it possible to attach some images that show this behavior, for me to try to reproduce on my end? See the above video

Any other detail that you would have for us that might be helpful in reproducing this issue on our end?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Thank you for your feedbacks and answering our questions with more details so we can get to the root cause of this issue. The team is investigating the issue and will soon try to get this resolved. 

Thanks again for your patience.

Regards.

Kavita

Lighroom Quality team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating status and cross-referencing bug numbers

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- This issue started fairly recently for me. I would say within the last 2 months. 

- The file formats on my cards have been raw CR3 files from Canon R5 and jpeg from Fujifilm X100v. I believe I have orientation enabled in the metadata on both cameras. 

- No editing is done on the SD cards and both SD cards are formatted in camera before shooting. 

- I am running iPadOS 16.3.1

- Lightroom version 8.2.1

Happy to attach an affected photo if still needed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kavita Srivastav I just plugged in a card with some old (July-Oct 2022) and some new photos (Feb 2023) and the old photos are not affected. Not sure if the date is somehow causing issues with the photo metadata?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi alexandert9636855,

This is a very valuable information that you provided. Thank you so much. We were trying to repro this issue with the old set of data that we have on our SD Cards but in vain so I appreciate your posting this. I will go ahead and try the same.

We have this issue logged and are working on it.

Regards.

Kavita Srivastav

Lightroom Quality Team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ipad 11 pro M1, Lightroom mobile. My photos taken vertically are flipped horizontally by default in the sampling mode, from the sd card carrier. This makes it difficult to select photos in the app and croopped him. Please fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MikyRaketa 

Thanks for reaching out.

Since when are you noticing this error? Which version of Lightroom are you using?

We have investigated a similar error, which has been found reproducible on our end. This is acknowledged and will be worked on by developers in future updates. 

Please check this discussion and please upvote if that relates to the issue you're seeing: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-ecosystem-cloud-based-bugs/p-autorotating-lightroom-import-....

Best,

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When selecting Raw photos in the Mobile app for Lightroom (iPad) when I pinch to zoom on a horizontal picture it spins it sideways so I constantly have to turn my head to see the photo before I select it.  This has changed from the last version and needs to be fixed

1. V. 8.2.2 62B77A/30

2. IOS iPad OS 16.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to replicate this using iOS 16.3.1 and LrM 8.2.2. 

Can you please provide step-by-step instructions for reproducing this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Load raw photos from sd memory card into the iPad while Lightroom is open to start uploading the photos. 
2. zoom in on a vertical photo or portrait size by taking two fingers at the same time with on the screen and move your fingers away from each other. 

(the photo should spin sideways)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still an unable to replicate using these instructions. Is it possible for you to record a video showing your process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly same issue that I am experiencing, hope this bug will be fixed soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here - No chance to work profesionally as a photographer this way. All my near live photography is with this bug impossible. Any news from Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, for me it is like this:

_ MacBook 14": Ventura 13.2

_ iPhone 12 Pro: iOS 16.4.1, LRM: 8.3.1

_ Apple iPad 10,2" 7th Generation Wi-Fi 12 

The images are shown for a split second in correct ratio but whenever they load its rotated like its shown - 90° to the right and i can only spot 1/3 of the photo. 

I used different original Apple SD Card Readers, different 64–128gb SD Cards, Leica Q2, Leica SL2, SL2S. I think i noticed the problem in the beginning of 2023, maybe the last 2 or 3 weeks of 2022. 

IMG_6462.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No news on this one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

My sincere apologies for the delay in getting this fixed. Our engineers are busy with other higher priority work and will get to this asap. 

We understand the inconvenience this may have been causing you in your workflows.

Thank you for your patience. 

Regards

Kavita Srivastav 

Lightroom Quality Team.

Votes

Translate

Translate