• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Vertical lines appear when using a brush.

Contributor ,
Dec 27, 2023 Dec 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I make a 12X12 inch canvas, and paint with a brush. It appears to make vertical lines on the canvas.Capture.PNG

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Desktop-Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

We appreciate your patience while we fixed this.  It was a nasty bug and easy to repro so we could turn around a fix relatively quickly.  We're working on adding a case to our automation testing so that if this ever breaks again, we'll know asap and not let this get out to you, our customers.  Thanks again and apologies that this broke in the first place. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Thanks @Chad Rolfs and everyone for your patience.

Thanks,

Cory - Photoshop Product Manager

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
58 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it only happening with one particular preset, or all brush presets?

Is this one of the standard brush presets, or in one of the Get More Brushes sets (i.e. Kyle Megapack)?

Are you using a mouse or tablet?  If tablet, which one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the MA oil and Acrylic brushes. Not brushes from PS. I am using a Wacom Intuos Pro tablet with the pro pen, but it happens with the mouse too. I am using the brush in normal mode, at an opacity of 65% and a flow of 65%. Now here is the interesting thing: when I am using the non beta version of PS this does NOT happen. I have screenshots. I used the same brush preset, same canvas, same settings for each screenshot. Yeah, I know the colors are different, but it happens in all colors. It does not happen with all brush presets, but not sure why it happens with some and not others. All I know is that it is UGLY, and should not be happening. Yes, i know it is a beta version, but just wanted to bring it to attention of someone.PS BetaPS BetaPS NON betaPS NON beta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google has found this set from Gumroad, but I am not going to spend 20 Euros to test them 🙂

https://michaeladamidis.gumroad.com/l/QIgaB

So this only happens with the Beta version?  I can't think why that might be, but if they work OK in the full release version, can you use that?  I usually use the beta version myself, but am not doing so currently because of the Pen tool modifier issue.

Two things you can try are uncheck first Dual Brush in Brush Settings and then Texture.  Dual Brush has the most chance of affecting the brush stroke as the vertical lines might be the second preset.  However, this would be the same in thge full and pre-release versions _unless_ the Brush tool has its knickers in a twist, and this can definitely happen.

image.png

So try Reset Tool in the Pre-release version )with Brush tool selected.

image.png

If no change, then it's definitely worth trying a Preference reset.  It seems to be a reality that the beta version gets out of sync more often than the Full Release.

Otherwise, avoide using the beta version for now.  It will no doubt start working again in a future update.

BTW  What sort opf work do you do?  The MA brushes suggest and oil paint look.  I was going to suggest Kyle Webster's Impasto brush kit, but I am getting a bunch of Page Not Found errors.  Anyone know what happened to those brushes?  John Derry put out an Impasto brush set about eight years ago, and they don't seem to be available anymore ether.  You might find some of the Aaron Blaize brushes interesting.  They are only a few dollars as well, and used by some of the big names in the Photoshop world.

I would still like to know if Kyles Impasto brushes are still available anywhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did reset my prefs, and tried to uncheck different brush settings such as dual brush and texture. It still happens. Hopefully it will be fixed in a new update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I found a brush I would like you to test for me, please. It is called "butterfly" and it is in the legacy brushes/special effects category. It is the last brush in that category for me. Make the brush nice and big, maybe 400 px, and the key is to lower the flow. Around 50-60% or so. Lower the opacity, it works fine. Lower the flow, and you will see the lines. Try it in Beta and regular Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2023 Dec 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blimey!  I can duplicate it.  This is the beta version  25.4.0 m.2439 

image.png

I looked though brush settings looking for a likely candidate to cause the glitch and didn't find one.  So I turned settings off one at a time, and it was Color Dynamics that stopped it.  Checking that tab isolated the cause to Hue Jitter.  0% stop has no glitch.  It kicks in at 1%, and stays the same through to 100%.  I have no idea what is going on here, but I'd say you have found a bug.  It's not happening in 25.3.1

@CoryShubert  What do You think?

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2023 Dec 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a variation of one of my presets tweaked to show the issue.  You cab see the canvas in 2500 pixels wide, and the artifacts sit at 1000 pixels and a touch over 2000 pixels.  Brush and canvas size make no difference.  There is a vertical line approximately every 1020 pixels.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, to my dismay, this issue was not fixed with the update today. Did anyone report this bug? I would, but I am not sure to report it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vicki, the Photoshop beta forum ios followed by at least two members of the Development Team.  I also tagged Cory Shubert in a post to this thread after I was able to duplicate the issue.  

FYI Any time you want to ensure a particular user sees one of your posts, add an @ followed by their Adobe ID and — depending on their notification settings — be emailed with a link to your post.  So if I add @vickim68445947  you should recieve an email.

The beta versions are pre-release and time limited, so there are regular updates (monthly ?).  If you ignore the update requests, the beta version will eventually stop working.  The two biggest issues with the prior to today's update version were that we coulldn't drag or duplicate a layer to another open document, and the Alt/Opt modifier when using the Pen tool changed the cursor to the eye dropper tool.  The former issue appears to have been fixed, but the Pen tool appears to still be broken.  That makes the beta version unusable for me, and I know a lot of regular beta version users are currently using 25.3.1 full release.

Is there a particular reason you want to use the beta version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@vickim68445947 wrote: Did anyone report this bug? I would, but I am not sure to report it.

Vicki, this post is in "Bugs", so you reported it and Trevor confirmed it. The purpose of the Beta is to find and report bugs to the product developers so they don't make it into the released version, so thank you for you finding this one. As Trevor said, use the released version of Photoshop for now.

Trevor, for completeness, did you test the butterfly brush in the released version?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It only happens with the beta version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the clarification, Jane!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to version 25.4.0, any brush, even the simplest one that uses both Color Dynamics and Transfer (pressure to flow) produces these terrible vertical lines.
Mac M1 with Sonoma OS.lines-bug.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, this is still happening on the official 25.4.0 with any brush that uses both Color Dynamics and Transfer, pressure to flow.

lines-bug.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 8.59.01 AM.pngThe same thing is happening to me as well after updating to 25.4 - I've reset my brushes/settings with no results. Not only are there vertical lines, but pixelated bits appear around each brush stroke as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep! Now it is happening in non- beta version. This is really frustrating! Only certain brushes, though. Not the butterfly brush as refernced above. So far, I have only seen it in 3rd party brushes. But, guess what? It does not matter who makes the brush! A brush is just a shape, with a bunch of settings dialed in. Should not be happening AT ALL! I had to downgrade photoshop from today's update. I love my brushes, and need them to work correctly!                             

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup this is happening now in 25.4 live version. Just updated today. Big mistake. Have to revert. Nice one adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't make it happen with either version now, using the same presets and settings that showed the issue last time I tested.

I am using Windows 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using windows 10 - it seems to happen with any brush. Most notably with the default round soft. Color Dynamics on creates the lines, color dynamics off removes the artifacting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens with any color dynamics other than zero plus Transfer, applying pressure to the flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on Windows 11. It happens in both versions of Photoshop now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. Are the devs aware of this yet? This is really annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I've been having the same issue and was linked to this page by someone on my page. After reading some of the comments here, it seems that the current solution is to simply reinstall a previous version. I'm personally using 25.3.1. Hopefully Adobe recognizes this issue and has it resolved sooner than later!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 01, 2024 Feb 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I linked you.And yes, they need to make this a priority to fix, now that it is not only in the beta version, but the "commercial" version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 01, 2024 Feb 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if this issue is being worked on or addressed? Now that it is not just happening in beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate