• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Inverted horizontal scroll bug (Windows 10) [2018]

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is basically a repeat of someone else who posted this bug 5 months ago and never got a response. I however am not on a surface book it's an Asus Zenbook if that matters.

I myself have been dealing with this problem for at least 5 months probably longer and I AM SO TIRED OF DEALING WITH IT. Please fix this problem!!!!!

In the settings for Windows 10, you can reverse the vertical scrolling direction of the trackpad.

Normally, this has no effect on the horizontal scrolling direction. For example, in Illustrator and other programs, when you use two fingers to swipe left, the viewing area moves to the left (i.e. the document moves off to the right). This is the behavior of every program on the planet, Windows and Mac, except for Photoshop.

What happens now in Photoshop is that the horizontal scroll is also incorrectly reversed if you choose to reverse your trackpad's vertical scroll direction. This is clearly a bug as the behavior doesn't take place in any other Adobe products.

Someone mistakenly must have used the vertical reverse flag to also multiply the horizontal scrolling distance * -1. It's extremely annoying and counter-intuitive when trying to move around images. Please fix!

Here's a link to that bug:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-cc-2018-reverse-scroll-bug-in-win10...

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Engineering is investigating this issue. Be sure to hit the upvote button at the top of the page to add your voice.

Votes

Translate

Translate
47 Comments
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the settings for Windows 10, you can reverse the vertical scrolling direction of the trackpad.

Normally, this has no effect on the horizontal scrolling direction. For example, in Illustrator and other programs, when you use two fingers to swipe left, the viewing area moves to the left (i.e. the document moves off to the right). This is the behavior of every program on the planet, Windows and Mac, except for Photoshop.

What happens now in Photoshop is that the horizontal scroll is also incorrectly reversed if you choose to reverse your trackpad's vertical scroll direction. This is clearly a bug as the behavior doesn't take place in any other Adobe products.

Someone mistakenly must have used the vertical reverse flag to also multiply the horizontal scrolling distance * -1. It's extremely annoying and counter-intuitive when trying to move around images. Please fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is same with me - this is a bug and must be fixed. I am on an XPS 15 and it is ridiculous this still exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this same problem since October 30, 2017, when I got a PC laptop that runs Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this same problem since October 30, 2017, when I got a PC laptop that runs Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with Dell XPS and Adobe CC latest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2019 Apr 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. So frustrating! Dell Inspiron w trackpad, Adobe CC w latest updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Engineering is investigating this issue. Be sure to hit the upvote button at the top of the page to add your voice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had multiple emails back and forth with support and apparently engineering. First they couldn't understand the problem. I had explained it and provided a diagram. I than filmed it and sent them a video. After many emails back and forth I was told this is the expected behaviour despite it working properly in Adobe XD. Extremely infuriating that a bug like this exists in the software for so long. We are merely held hostage by the fact we need Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had multiple emails back and forth with support and apparently engineering. First they couldn't understand the problem. I had explained it and provided a diagram. I than filmed it and sent them a video. After many emails back and forth I was told this is the expected behaviour despite it working properly in Adobe XD. Extremely infuriating that a bug like this exists in the software for so long. We are merely held hostage by the fact we need Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 09, 2019 Sep 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently upgraded to a new laptop and for some reason the horizontal scrolling direction in Photoshop is now the opposite to the old laptop I had and every single other windows app.

I've made this rushed video that I provided to Adobe customer support but they don't seem to know how to change this https://md28.in/v/e4p2euss.mp4

When I swipe left to right content should appear from the left of the screen. When I swipe right to left content should appear from the right of the screen. Currently left to right makes content appear from the right and right to left from the left.

I've tried reinstalling Photoshop but the issue is still there. It's fine in every other windows app and even other adobe apps. I just want it to function how my muscle memory is used to. Any help would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2019 Sep 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been a user of Photoshop for a long time and when I upgrade I find something new to put to use and I seem to find a 'bug' of some kind. I sympathize with you and the other users of PS. I have my share of issues too (one of them being [copy [paste]) and while Adobe has been polite the bug still exists and we are coming up on a year now. I have done the same thing you have, I have reinstalled PS, I have had my laptop checked out twice and Adobe's tech support look at the problems three times with no resolution. 

I like the product, I use it most of my waking day, but have considering looking at something else to work with. Do you see that Mr. Tranberry? I fill out those surveys that pop-up from time to time and read this forum to see what else is going on. To be honest, there is a lot written here which is outside my knowledge, but when we talk about scrolling; that is basic to the use of the product and shouldn't be tolerated. Photoshop is now crashing on me from time to time and I am totally bummed out. 

I'm not giving up just yet, my advice is don't give up just yet, keep writing to this forum, fill out those surveys (I know for a fact someone at sometime reviews them), have your PC checked out, bug Adobe's Tech Support, maybe run a virus program (I did and nothing happened) and then maybe have a shot! 

I'm still looking for an answer to my issues. 

Good Luck! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2019 Sep 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I posted this bug over a year ago and here we are. Absolutely pathetic from a company with the resources of Adobe. I've been using Photoshop for 17 years. I've been patient here, and now I'm done. Plenty of alternatives out there these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea worst part is they had someone from engineering actually contact me and it seems to have made it pretty high up the ladder but they came back with that was expected behaviour.

They didn't reply when I asked why it was the opposite in Adobe XD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah....expected behavior is the exact opposite of every other software ever, makes sense. /sarcasm

If that's the case, I'd love to see the notes in their changelog when they decided to add this "feature".

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really annoying, I came searching for this topic because I too have noted the inverted scroll in one direction. It's fine in the vertical but inverted in the horizontal. I don't get the inconsistency. I guess you could say they tried to appeal to both the inverted scroll people and the non-inverted scroll people by giving us both 50%. XD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, FWIW on MacOS, I can toggle the natural scrolling setting in System Preferences, an it is immediately replicated correctly in Photoshop. 
Natural setting: dragging two fingers towards the top left drags document content in that direction, while without it, dragging to the top left moves the content to the bottom right.
we do not have a switch for vertical only, that I know of.
It might be a case of preserving consistency...
So you expect to drag to the top left to move to the bottom left? I have a hard time to see where it can be natural.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on an acer swift 3 with win10. Super annoying. Also, it would be nice if the pinch-to-zoom gesture would actually zoom instead of scrolling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how many years and horizontal scroll is still inverted. OMG!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue. I'm sitting here with my 15" Macbook pro and a new Lenovo Thinkpad X1. Trackpad scrolling directions are perfect on the Mac but the horizontal direction is reversed on the Windows machine. So annoying!!!

I have it set so that if I move my fingers up toward the top of the trackpad I move up toward the top of the document, and likewise down = down. But if I move my fingers to the left of the trackpad it moves me to the right of the document!

I should be able to move my fingers in the direction that I want to go BOTH vertically and horizontally. Or if I change the scroll direction settings in Windows I should be able to move my fingers in the opposite direction to where I want to go BOTH vertically and horizontally.

Vertical and horizontal should not work in opposite ways! This needs to be fixed. It's a simple checkbox option! Why is this not being fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Horizontal scrolling using a trackpad in Photoshop in Windows is backwards. Works fine on my Mac. Works fine in other applications in Windows (e.g. Chrome).

If I move my fingers on the trackpad to scroll within a document the behaviour horizontally should match the behaviour vertically but it does not. This is not a matter of the setting in Windows that determines what direction the document should move for a given finger movement. Those settings work correctly and reverse all axes simultaneously. But the problem is that the horizontal and vertical axes behave differently in Photoshop, and only in Photoshop.

I have the settings such that if I move my fingers up toward the top of the trackpad I move up toward the top of the document, and likewise down = down. But if I move my fingers to the left of the trackpad it moves me to the right of the document! Moving fingers left should move to the left side of the document and moving fingers right should move to the right side of the document. 

i.e. if Up = Up and Down = Down then Left should = Left and Right should = Right. But currently Up = Up, Down = Down, Left = Right and Right = Left.

Vertical and horizontal should not work in opposite ways! This needs to be fixed. It's a simple checkbox option! Why is this not being fixed? I've seen this has been reported for several years now.

I'm sitting here with my 15" Macbook pro and a new Lenovo Thinkpad X1. Trackpad scrolling directions are perfect on the Mac in Photoshop but the horizontal direction is reversed on the Windows machine. Again, it works fine in other apps on Windows. So annoying!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To whomever merged the above in from my new post, that's fine but I created a new post because the title of this one references CC 2018. This is an ongoing problem in the latest 2020 version. Can we please change the title of this post to reflect that it is an ongoing issue? Otherwise it might seem that this is just something old and no longer relevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just realized this was an issue since I usually don't use trackpads so I Googled and ended up here just to realize this has been a bug for years without remedy. 🤷‍:male_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JeffreyTranberry  can you provide some kind of an update on this?  I'm on 22.1.1 and I have the same problem.  My vertical scroll works fine but my horizontal is inverted and there's no way to change that in your preferences.  All we need is a 'invert horizontal scroll direction' option in the preferences and we're all good.  Seems like a simple, low impact change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine didnt work for me out of the box, but that was on my Mac...Here what worked for me, maybe might work on windows to? FYI i'm Running macbook pro M1 latest OS update and latest drivers on MX master mouse 3

To use horizontal scroll wheel for horizontal scrolling in photoshop

-Open logi options app

-Go into your mouse options

-At the top where it says all applications, select photoshop

-Click on the photo of horizontal scroll button

-Choose horizontal scroll

Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 4.00.14 PM.png

To use horizontal scroll for brush sizing in photoshop

-Open logi options app

-Go into your mouse options

-At the top where it says all applications, select photoshop

-Click on the photo of horizontal scroll button