• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frame substitution attempt aborting error - .MXF Files

Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2024 Mar 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen a number of posts about this, and am now running into the problem myself. Although there are a few differences I'd like to share that I'm hoping may shed more light on what appears to be a longstanding issue.

Specs: M3 Max Macbook Pro (64GB RAM), Sonoma 14.3.1, Premiere Pro 24.1.0

The .MXF files were shot XAVC-I from the Sony FX6 shot on a V90 card. I copied the entire memory card structure to my internal drive, and imported the clips using the media browser. The clips are 59.94 fps and 23.976 fps on a 23.976 timeline.

As I perform regular editing tasks (slowing 59.94 clips to 40%, adding clips to timeline, scrolling through), I get these error messages.

BUT, here's the kicker: I'm not actually seeing dropped frames yet. For one of the clips I received the error on, I decided to go to the source window and scroll through frame by frame. I didn't see any black frames, but scrolling through did create 9 new error messages at different frames.

Aside from the error popups being annoying, this is a project that many people are depending on. If these dropped frames actually do end up showing, I'll be in a bad spot. It seems as though with every new project, I have to factor in at least a day to deal with errors or bugs in Premiere. I shouldn't have to be constantly fighting with the tools that allow me to do my job. Moreover, the C70 and FX6 both shoot in .MXF and are fixtures of video production. Frankly, I'm taken aback that there hasn't been more meaningful support from Adobe on this.

I'm currently creating ProRes Proxies to see if that may solve the issue, but I'm concerned that this will only solve the problem in editing, and the error (dropped frames) may show up once exported.

Does anyone have thoughts on why this may be happening? Is it time to switch to Resolve like everyone seems to be saying, or could this be a workflow issue on my end?

Many thanks!

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Graphics , Import and ingest , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
15 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2024 Mar 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anthony,

Sorry you are experiencing some issues here.
I work on the Pr engineering team. Would you mind sharing a sample file or two with me?  If you'd like to send me a PM, I'm happy to chat further.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Same here, MXF import to Premiere will appear message "Error retrieving frame from the file".

Thank you for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

same here, Windows 11, Premiere 24.2.1. (Build 2)

Mxf - drops, errors

Timeline - not responsive, freezing

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wes, you've probably noted that this has popped up on the Facebook pro editors forum also.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil - I'll see if I can track that down. Investigating...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here with footage from Sony FX6 Camera.
One layer of video is fine.
When I layer the same clip over it, the trouble begins.
Many frams substitution messages. Laggy response. 
I have a monster PC and a very very fast NAS. Never been the problem.

When I can be of any assistence by sending footage, let me know.
Best regards, Christiaan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as posted here. You can read my reply. When you need Sony FX6 Footage just let me know.
Maybe the footage is not the problem. I also have the frame substitusion message with other file formats.
Has never been a problem. I think it is since the last update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here with MXF files from Canon C300mkiii. 

The error messages seems to pop up frequently, and our biggest issue is that it slows Premiere down. 

We've tried isolating the problem by editing files from our local drive, instead of the server. Project Files on local computer, instead of Google Drive. Importing files through Media Browser instead of Finder. 

The common denominator here is Premiere Pro. It has occasionally had issues in the past, but not on this scale. 

We are using a combination of Mac Studios, M1 and M2, along with iMac i7's. The i7 allowed me to switch renderer, which did reduce the number of errors, but also slowed editing down massively. 

Transcoding is not a cost-effective solution, as this requires both our time and extra drive space. One of the biggest benefits of using Premiere Pro from 2010 onwards, was the native file format editing, and it would be ashame for this to be lost. 

We require a fix to this problem ASAP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 16, 2024 Apr 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this been read by the developers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 16, 2024 Apr 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be great to see this fixed in the next update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2024 Apr 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is only one sollution until this moment!!! Go back to Premiere 23! The Premiere 24 dos not work at all!

I use a Macbookpro M2 and work with C70 MXF 4K files. From the moment i made the upgrade my life turned into hell!

Error retrieving frames messages popping up and performance lost! So i decided to go back into versions and the problem was gone! Adobe must pay attention and test upgrades before release them to us users! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 25, 2024 Apr 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, 

We're sorry about the poor experience. We're currently investigating this issue. Could you please confirm if this is happening specifically with the project files created in the previous version of Premiere Pro, or is it happening with new projects as well? Also, if possible, please share a download link for the sample media with which you are experiencing this issue.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, still happening in brand new project files created in Premiere 24 version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here with Mac M1 and MXF-files shooted with Sony.

First substituting, then retrieving, but test exporting seem to be ok.

Must be sure about this issue, because of cust omer projects.

Thanks for clearing this.

BR

Juhani

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Näyttökuva 2024-04-26 kello 19.03.20.pngHere is one screenshot about those issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate