• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text-based editing reseting clips to starting frame after any changes in files location

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the title says, whenever i use text-editing in a project, i cant change any files, or move the project folder, or work on any other computer, as any changes in the original files location reset every clip in the text-edited secuence to the begining of the original file, making the project useless. Also, the transcription changes, so the clips are still linked to the text, only that the previous edition has been lost.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

This issue is fixed in 23.5 which is available now.  If you ever used transcription in 23.4 and got the relink dialog, you should close and not save the project.  Once you save, the damage is done and you will have to restore from autosave backups.  You should close the project without saving and update to 23.5.  Now you can relink and everything will be correctly linked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 3 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

I made an official Known Issue post over here: Known issue: Text-Based Editing - clips reset to first frame after relink in 23.4.  I'll post updates over there.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

This issue has been fixed in public beta as of 23.6.0 build 02 released Thursday, May 25th.  I posted the details in this known issue doc but will put the instructions here as well.  If you get the media relinking dialog in 23.4 and you have previously used transcription, close and do not save the project. Make a backup of your project file just to be safe.  Use public beta to fix your project.

1. Download Premiere Pro beta version 23.6.0 build 02 or later
  2. Open in beta, reconnect the media, and en

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
68 Comments
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is a MAJOR flaw in the current premiere beta, I've found that if you have to relink your footage (swap drives, or for whatever reason) after starting premiere and being prompted with the offline files relink process, EACH TIME a clip or audio snip is in a sequence, that instance of the media starts at 0. So if you have a selects reel with 50 cuts from 1 clip, each of those 50 cuts starts at the first frame. This applies only to clips that have been relinked from being offline. For example, i have a timeline of interview selects, the audio had to be relinked, but the video did not. So the video is still the right selects, but now all the audio for each of those selects for the interview starts at 0. This makes the beta entirely unusable until fixed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doing a two camera interview edit. Did cuts to remove silence for client preview. On re-opening the project, all the sequences now have a massive problem. Every edit has reverted to the very beginning of the clip. 15 years, never seen this before. Help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive got the same issue, absoloute S**t show at the moment. 

Clear all media cache files (hold command on mac when opening to get the dialog box), see if that helps, if not after that try and revert to an autosave or backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you using proxies? wondering if that's the glitch in the machine somehow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No proxies no

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently started using the text-based editing feature. When I opened the project on another computer all the in points on every clip are set to the beginning ub the sequence. I have tested this on Macbook Pro and a Mac Studio. Somewhere along the way it appears to have lost timecode information for the edit points made in the text-based workflow. I can see the sequence, but source clips link to the beginning of every clip. Has anyone encountered this or found a solution? I have various timelines that are unusable right now.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working in this way for many years and this is the first time it has happened.

My way of working is to edit on a pc with the proxies and then pass it on to another pc to relink the original raws and then export, so that another person is in charge of reviewing my work and leaving it exporting.

Question is that this weekend it began to happen to me that when relinking the projects, each cut made in the file within the sequence, readjusts its position at the beginning in the following way

this is the finished work

Screenshot_2.png

Y así al pasarlo al otro pc

Screenshot_1.png

Please I need an urgent solution, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the project was relinked to the wrong folder, but it had similar filenames Cam001, Cam002, Cam003, etc. All those clips in the relinked are starting at the very heads of the clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering, obviously the files are in another folder, but they are the correct ones, that's not the problem, it's more specific, I repeat, I've been working with the same methodology for years

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several factors that can cause this.

Sometimes, this happens when the proxies are created with a different frame rate than the originals. Sometimes, with auto relink, some files might have the same name and Premiere links to the wrong files.

Reveal C053 in explorer (or finder) from both projects and compare the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your answer, unfortunately that is not the problem, they are exactly the same files, and it only happens when I create projects from my premiere, if I create it on another pc it doesn't happen.

Any information that can clarify to find a solution I am willing to give it, but I don't know exactly what else to clarify

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send me a project with only one timeline and one clip from your PC? Also share the proxy and the raw of the clip in question. Let's try to troubleshoot this thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, look, I'm sharing the project in question, because with simple cuts I don't think it happens, I can't find from what point it happens but I leave the project here for you to see

https://mab.to/t/GrFlLtE0gQI/us2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you link those files, what I mentioned above should happen, even if I unlink the file and link the same file again on my PC, the same thing happens, it is very, very strange

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I'm not really sure what's wrong with your project. I was able to replicate the same error you're talking about. The only way that it linked correctly is when I exported the timeline as XML, I put the xml and the video files in the same folder, then I imported the XML, and it worked correctly.

Here's the project with the video track linked correctly, I'm not sure it would help since the same error can happen again.

In short: Export as XML > Put the XML and videos in same location > Import XML, that should do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked there and if the file you sent me was also linked correctly, could you tell me what you did with a little more detail? because I think I didn't understand, and is there a way to do that from my original edit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done, I was able to reproduce what you did and if it solves the problem, THANK YOU VERY MUCH, you saved my life, if it occurs to you why it is the problem, I would appreciate the explanation so I can find a definitive solution but this saves me too much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I would like to know too, I hate it when I don't understand these "digital ghosts". I'll keep you posted if I think of something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am having the same issue. This is extremely irritating, I'm not even using the beta version of premiere. Please let me know if you have found a solution to this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan This is the third or so report I've seen where some type of relinking results in edits adjusting to the beginning of the clip. This current thread involves proxies. Another did not, but involved syncing video and audio clips and editing with the new Text-based workflow. Not sure if this is on the radar yet.

@Sami Succar Great job helping @AnTyto with what could be a devastating problem.

All, this new bugs forum has a box in the top left of the original post. That is the "Upvote" box. Don't forget to upvote it! Upvoting individual responses does not add to that box.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having used the text based editing approach on My Windows laptop I opened the same project on my Mac and found that the clips do not start and end at the same edit points as on windows. Instead of starting at the in point from the Windows version they start at the beginning of the clip, which means that the timeline edit is useless. 

Premiere Pro 23.4.0 Build 56 on both Mac and Windows

Mac Ventura 13.3.1

Windows 11 Pro 22H2 OS Build 22621170

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found absolutely no fix for this. The only solution is a logistical one, save a lot, if it wants to relink anything then just close without saving and make sure your filepaths and drives are all correct before reopening. I did find relinking in non-beta worked and then you could re-open in beta. 

I have not seen this be an issue in the regular version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This appears to be related to the relinking process. See these threads for two workarounds:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/i-have-a-problem-relinking-projects-on-another-pc/i...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-beta-discussions/text-panel-enhancements-part-2-assemble...

Do either of them work for you?

The first link is a bug report, like yours, that you should upvote - click the box in the top left by the original post.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering. Yes, the XML method works but it introduces a complication in the workflow i have with the other editors at work, so as long as the problem with text-based editing is not fixed i cant use the function, despite that fact, i really like the update and it benefits my editing. Hope it gets fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate