• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to select text or add new text with Type Tool

Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2024 Mar 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unable to select or edit the existing text using the Type Tool. The selection gets instantly reverted. This also happens while adding new texts. Restarting the app is the only workaround. Here's a screen recording of the issue:

pr.gif

Premiere Pro Version: 24.2.1 (Build 2)

Laptop: Asus Vivobook Pro 15

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600H

Graphics Card: Nvidia RTX 3050

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
Graphics

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Edited 3/29/24:

This bug is fixed in Release 24.3.0.

Original post:

See this bug:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/unable-to-select-text-or-add-new-text-with-type-tool/idc-p/14481907#M22542

Fixed in Beta (not sure which build), but not in the Release 24.2.1.

Till fixed, 1) try to avoid deleting any of those effects while editing text and 2) if you do, use Annika's recommended workaround (click on motion or vector motion and then click away). You can also edit text in the Te

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Hi! Thanks for reporting this issue. Our team is investigating the bug. Looks like this is happening every time you delete an effect that allows Direct Manipulation in the Program Monitor (like a mask or the crop effect).

As bad as this is, at least we found a workaround that will hopefully get you editing somewhat smoothly again. If you enter any kind of Direct Manipulation before editing the text, it should work again. For example, click on "Motion" or "Vector Motion" in the Effect Controls pa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Hi @Matt Young,

Check out the 24.3 Beta build. The bug should be fixed there. Let me know if that works for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
85 Comments
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, im not sure if this is a bug however this has only started happening after the most recent update.

Every time I double click on the caption to edit the text and re type the word, depending on the letters I use it presumes im using a hotkey for another tool?. The thought typing slower fixed it however it still occasianally happens. Not a huge problem however when its deleting, selecting other tools it makes the proccess take longer not to mention anoying.

any insights on this would be greratly apreciated 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I know the latest version of premiere pro boasted 5x faster timeline and mask handling but when I create a mask say two points and I drag the second point while holding down the mouse button to create a curve the curve lags as I move the mouse around. Like it’s not smooth. I exaggerated the dragging to see how bad the lag is and it’s pretty bad. I opened up the latest version of premiere 23 and it’s so smooth. I can hold and drag all over and the curve is updating in realtime with no lag . Is there a setting or something I’m missing like I thought version 24 was suppose to be even better. I don't have version 24.2.1 because there was a bug with the free draw bezier where I couldn't even hold and drag the point I was creating to create the curve I had to first make the point then click on the blue square and drag from there then make second point to continue . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, @Thakur31724625loe3,

I read about your issue with masks, It sounds like version 24 has problems along those lines. You may want to stick with version 23 until the team can fix a few of these issues. i will advocate for the return to better mask behavior. I am sorry for the frustration.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2024 Mar 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I have noticed when I've been typing in my custom captaions (for subtitlies) when I hit certain letters they will activate the hotkey / shortcut realted to that letter...

I've also noticed this issue doesn't occur when the caption has been upgraded to a graphic.

Any ideas or suggestions 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2024 Mar 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be an issue with the new update with the Titler either that or the new version of premiere is having trouble with the mac keyboard...???

I opened a project and we trying to use a previously created title. I was to to change some of the information. when I highlighted the existing text and tried to type new information it was as though the keyboard was attempting to perform Quick Key actions.

I moved the title I was trying to change to an empty space in the sequence timeline. there were no layers underneath it. I was able to change the text. When I moved the text layer back in the timeline and there were layers underneath it I was not able to change the text.

Also when trying to type in numbers only the numbers on the right died of the keyboard work. The side that is kind of like the calculator. The numbers above the letters on the keyboard would not work

There was quite a few other bugs too, but the ones I have listed were the most noticable.

I am on an iMac, Late 2015 running Montery 12.7.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes I am not sure did I press something accidentally, but the text tool doesn't work.

When clicking text with it to edit the text, it instantly unselects it, and adding new text layers just makes it so you can't even write text on them?

Bug or a fix for this?

The problem is usually solved when restarting the application, but otherwise no luck.

I have tried looking for a solution but didn't find any that matched my issue.

I use the newest 2024 version of adobe 24.2.1 Adobe Premiere (2024) 

Someone said this could be a bug in the newest version. I have a feeling that when I accidentally pressed ripple edit this happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screenshot might help.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi is anyone here facing a problem with text whenever i try to type something it suddendly changes to the tool option, suppose in text if I am typing hobbies, If i press H in text panel it changes to the hand tool same for other words never had this problem before. Also Priemere needs to improve these bugs and the crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, just discovered this same problem on 04 MARCH @9pm PST. Typing text and it forces shortcuts to be activated. Cannot work on files, all text is affected. This needs to be resolved NOW! Adobe are you listening????

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discovered a VERY annoying bug. As of 04 March 2024, when you enter text in Premiere Pro 2024 and the letter you are typing match a keyboard shorcut, the shortcut is activated automatically. You effectively cannot input ANY meaningful text as there are nearly two dozen shortcut letters, rendering the keyboard and text entry useless! This is insane and unacceptable for a company of such size as Adobe! I litereally cannot finish any of my video editing as I use text overlays in my instructional vidoes! Please help ASAP!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screenshot might help. I am not experiencing this. You are using version 24.2.1?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Stan, I can't replicate at all, so ... OS, I think, would also be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! It looks like we need more information in order to be able to help here.  Can you provide more information on your computer setup and operating system?  What is the exact build number of Premiere Pro you are using?  Can you share the simplest steps possible that you can take to reproduce the issue?   Thanks for the report. Happy to help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the report.  Can you share the exact build of Premiere that you are using?  What OS are you using?   Can you reproduce this easily with a fresh restart a few simple steps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you using?  What (exact) verion of Premiere Pro?  Happy to help out here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I am using windows 11 and Hp Omen laptop. I am on the latest update of priemere pro on Adobe cloud. Please fix this whenever i am typing something it forces on shortcut key and it's so annoying cause I was making changes with my client and it was annoying that i couldn't type it properly whenever my client thought that I still need to learn something and I am a basic editor. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Windows 11 and version v24.2.1 of Premiere Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, can't type anything. Anytime I tried to add a text graphic hot keys pop up. Completely useless. Needs to be fixed now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello 🙂
I am having an issue where the keyboard shortcuts trigger whilst i am editing text. 

I've been adding captions on a video with the use of a text box via editing the generated transcript on the timeline, but recently I've been noticing that whilst typing, I trigger a shortcut! 

Example:

I want to write: "My name is..."

But when I type in the letter "M" in the text box, it both writes "M" in that text box, and leaves a marker on the timeline. 

I have tried restarting Premier Pro, reseting defaults (pressing ALT when turning on Premier Pro) and checked for recent updates.

If it helps, I started noticing this issue from the 4th of March 2024. Before this, 

Version of the app: 24.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fix thi asap or will uninstall it and time to shift at Da Vinci. So many bugs and crashes and we literally pay for this. While world is progessing with new things and advance tool, Preimere pro is still behind with so many things, more will shift towards another program if you don't improve it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for reporting this @MrSpaceman . This sounds like a known bug which has already been fixed in a newer version of Pr. If possible, please try it in a current Beta build of Pr 24.4 or when the public release of Pr 24.3 shows up for you. And then let us know if it is fixed for you or not.

NOTE: Public Beta builds can co-exisit with release with release versions. So you do not need ot un-install 24.2 to use a Pr 24.4 Beta build.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue appears to only affect some Windows users. We are working on addressing this issue internally

Couple questions..

Does this happen every time you simply select the Text tool and type, or does this only happen after changing some text properties or causing the focus of the app to change in another manner?

In this case, does reselecting the text in the panel work as a temporary workaround? It would be helpful to confirm and the exact behavior.  The workaround might be helpful in the short term.

We have some fixes integrated into our latest beta build. Could you please try to latest beta build and let us know if you still see any issues?

Thanks for the help!

Wes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue appears to only affect some Windows users. We are working on addressing this issue internally

Couple questions..

Does this happen every time you simply select the Text tool and type, or does this only happen after changing some text properties or causing the focus of the app to change in another manner?

In this case, does reselecting the text in the panel work as a temporary workaround? It would be helpful to confirm and the exact behavior.  The workaround might be helpful in the short term.

We have some fixes integrated into our latest beta build. Could you please try to latest beta build and let us know if you still see any issues?

Thanks for the help!

Wes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Issue - When typing in text box, it turn into the shortcut. No matter it's essential graphic text or subtitle.
  • Adobe Premiere Pro version number: 24.2.1 (build 2)
  • Operating system - macOS sonoma 14.3.1
  • System Info: macbook pro m1 max 32GB
  • Workflow details: When I typing in the text box, it sometime will go to the shortcut ( both in english or chinese) Like typing the "J" in the text box, and the timeline go back.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry about the poor experience. We're investigating a similar issue. Would you mind sharing a screen recording of the issue you are experiencing? We will get it checked.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate